F Ryan Leonard - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 8th, WSH)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
JT miller has zero effort in the defensive zone…I wouldn’t say that is the best comparison. I see him more has a Bennet/Konecny/Hartman type of player

I like the Hartman comparison for Leonard.

Sometimes i feel like i'm watching a different player than some people are talking about with him. When they talk about him like he's this huge power forward with sky high scoring upside.

To me, he looks a lot more like a Hartman type. Really solid all-around, responsible, 2-way complementary Top-9 forward with solid but unspectacular finishing ability who plays the right way and brings some grit and heaviness.

Those other two are also solid comparisons in the same vein, with Konecny being something like the absolute "ceiling" if everything goes extremely well in Leonard's development. But even then, thinking back to Konecny in Juniors...he could be an absolutely dynamic offensive catalyst in all facets in a way that i'm not sure i really see with Leonard. Though it's certainly muddied in wondering how much he's just deferring to a pair of much more pure skilled/creative linemates and playing to a "role". Dangerous to read that into his play though.

Reactions: wetcoast and Mrb1p

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I like the Hartman comparison for Leonard.

Sometimes i feel like i'm watching a different player than some people are talking about with him. When they talk about him like he's this huge power forward with sky high scoring upside.

To me, he looks a lot more like a Hartman type. Really solid all-around, responsible, 2-way complementary Top-9 forward with solid but unspectacular finishing ability who plays the right way and brings some grit and heaviness.

Those other two are also solid comparisons in the same vein, with Konecny being something like the absolute "ceiling" if everything goes extremely well in Leonard's development. But even then, thinking back to Konecny in Juniors...he could be an absolutely dynamic offensive catalyst in all facets in a way that i'm not sure i really see with Leonard. Though it's certainly muddied in wondering how much he's just deferring to a pair of much more pure skilled/creative linemates and playing to a "role". Dangerous to read that into his play though.
Ryan Hartman is an excellent comparable. Leonard has more finish IMO.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
If he’s going top six in a very good draft, there’s surely top pick comparables, not guys take mid teens, mid twenties or later, no?

How about Gabriel Landeskog but one inch shorter? Landeskog was a top pick who crushed the combine in both testing and interviews, as it seems Leonard is poised to do.

NHL teams considering him 4th, 5th, and 6th overall aren’t putting 3rd liners on the board as comps.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If he’s going top six in a very good draft, there’s surely top pick comparables, not guys take mid teens, mid twenties or later, no?

How about Gabriel Landeskog but one inch shorter? Landeskog was a top pick who crushed the combine in both testing and interviews, as it seems Leonard is poised to do.

NHL teams considering him 4th, 5th, and 6th overall aren’t putting 3rd liners on the board as comps.
You're on the right track. Leonard is very skilled but also possesses truculence and a motor. That's why he is likely to go top 6/7. He'd look very good on a team like Montreal.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012

My comparables off the top of my head Gourde(lower end), Konecny, Parise(prime) and Mark stone(obvi big dif with stones IQ and leonards skating, but the attention to detail they both play with and skill level being high but not elite)

Reactions: wetcoast

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Leonard has way more offensive talent than Hartman.
I think the Hartman comparison is for the year Hartman had last year and that Leonard would be able to do that consistently. 30-35 goals. 30-35 assists for 60-70 points while being physical and net driver

Perfect player to play with Suzuki and Caufield.
Done.
Book it.
Leonard to the Habs.
I think it’s looking highly likely unless SJ goes off the board. Would fit very well and can be a 30G /60-70 point guy with physicality and net drive. That’s a big piece and like you said would fit nicely with Suzuki, Caufield, Dach and Slafkovsky. Brings a different element

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I've seen him labeled as physical.

I'm curious.

Is he run you over, drop a big hit physical, or just a guy who gets into the corners throws a hit to stun the opponent and then battles hard to get the puck

Or is it a bit of both ?
More the second and not afraid to drive the net. High end compete level

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I like Leonard. He strikes me as a smart physical player. He doesn't go out there like a wrecking ball and hitting everything in sight. He's calculated in his approach to physicality. He's also a natural goal scorer. His shot is a beauty. To me, if Zach Benson is gone, he's got Flyers written all over him.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
He's every bit the talent Filip Forsberg was. His puck skills are still getting slept on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad