F Ryan Leonard - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 8th, WSH)

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
This same line of thinking for us Lekkerimaki last year
Kuz hadn't played in the NHL yet. In fact he hadn't even officially been signed by Van when Lek was drafted. How did we draft Lek to complement Petey + Kuz?

Edit - Separate topic:

Could Leonard be a Centre in the NHL?

Reactions: LemonSauceD

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Kuz hadn't played in the NHL yet. In fact he hadn't even officially been signed by Van when Lek was drafted. How did we draft Lek to complement Petey + Kuz?

Edit - Separate topic:

It’s not that deep. Point is, we have too many wingers.

Leonard could be a center in the NHL yes. Will he? Probably not.

• Haha
Reactions: LemonSauceD

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
He will go anywhere between 6 and 9, I don't think there's this many incompetent GMs for the scenario where he's drafted after 9

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Very unlikely that he'll transition to C in college given that he's going with Will Smith.

Both Smith and Leonard might be on the wing on college, the bigger issue is that Cutter Gauthier is the much more traditional center. It really depends on what the coach wants to do. For all we know they have Smith and Perreault flank Gauthier while Leonard gets to center the second line.

Of course BC might want to just replicate the program line where Smith takes the draw and Leonard does a good chunk of the center work in the D zone. Perreault on the wing. If it ain't broke...

Reactions: TK 421

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Both Smith and Leonard might be on the wing on college, the bigger issue is that Cutter Gauthier is the much more traditional center. It really depends on what the coach wants to do. For all we know they have Smith and Perreault flank Gauthier while Leonard gets to center the second line.

Of course BC might want to just replicate the program line where Smith takes the draw and Leonard does a good chunk of the center work in the D zone. Perreault on the wing. If it ain't broke...

100% agree, just because a loaded US development team deployed Leonard at wing doesn't necessarily mean BC will use him there.

It remains to be seen how BC and whatever NHL team takes him intend to use him. In fact I'm sure interested NHL teams will want to know BC's intent and will have their own preference in what position they want him playing.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I dont know if I'd draft him in the top 10.

I'm not convinced he could carry a line and he isnt going to be an elite enough winger to justify a top 10 for me in a deep draft.

I have him in the 10-15th spot.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I dont know if I'd draft him in the top 10.

I'm not convinced he could carry a line and he isnt going to be an elite enough winger to justify a top 10 for me in a deep draft.

I have him in the 10-15th spot.
Who do you have ahead of Leonard? I think 10-15 isn’t unreasonable for a ranking due to your own viewings and/or preferences. But if it’s a mock draft, there is no chance he makes it past 10.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Who do you have ahead of Leonard? I think 10-15 isn’t unreasonable for a ranking due to your own viewings and/or preferences. But if it’s a mock draft, there is no chance he makes it past 10.
I have Bedard, Michov,Carlsson, Fantili, Smith, Benson, Dvorsky, Wood, Moore ahead of him as Forwards.

and Reinbacher and ASP ahead of him for Dmen.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Anyone know an easy way to isolate his production against D1 NCAA teams this season? Or is this data already segmented and available somewhere that I can access?
No you have to do it by game log. His stats vs NCAA D1 teams are 14G 14A 28Pts in 17GP. Keep in mind some NCAA teams use those games a lot to get healthy scratches minutes but it's still really good competition

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
You have Wood ahead of him??? Lol

Leonard is one of my favourite prospects in the draft and I would take him ahead of Wood, but I dont think that having Wood ahead is as laughable as youre making it seem.

If you want the swing at a really high potential, massive, scorer Wood is your guy. High risk, high reward type whereas Leonard is a little safer.

Leonard is the exact type of forward the wings have been loading up on recently, if he makes it to 9 I wouldnt be surprised if the wings take him at all. But dont be surprised if Wood ends up a higher pick than a lot expect

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Leonard is one of my favourite prospects in the draft and I would take him ahead of Wood, but I dont think that having Wood ahead is as laughable as youre making it seem.

If you want the swing at a really high potential, massive, scorer Wood is your guy. High risk, high reward type whereas Leonard is a little safer.

Leonard is the exact type of forward the wings have been loading up on recently, if he makes it to 9 I wouldnt be surprised if the wings take him at all. But dont be surprised if Wood ends up a higher pick than a lot expect

Agreed. Leonard is a good prospect, I don't think the team that picks him will end up regretting it. I think Montreal is probably going to pick him, and I'm fine with it. But some reactions to Wood are puzzling. Some people have him top 5, and some others give him essentially no respect, relative to what you'd expect from a guy with his resume.

Leonard is more polished, more of a sure thing, and has high enough upside to justify a top 10 pick. But Wood's upside is sufficient to justify the added risk, IMO.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Agreed. Leonard is a good prospect, I don't think the team that picks him will end up regretting it. I think Montreal is probably going to pick him, and I'm fine with it. But some reactions to Wood are puzzling. Some people have him top 5, and some others give him essentially no respect, relative to what you'd expect from a guy with his resume.

Leonard is more polished, more of a sure thing, and has high enough upside to justify a top 10 pick. But Wood's upside is sufficient to justify the added risk, IMO.
Leonard doesn't have the talent of the top-5 and that is why HugO won't pick him at 5. Hugo stated he will select the most talented player in that spot. Likely Wil Smith.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

Edit - Separate topic:

95% chance Leonard is not a center in the NHL other than taking faceoffs when his centerman gets tossed from the dot.

I don't know why they list him as a C/RW when he's played wing for the entire year. AND will play wing in college next to Smith and Perreault at BC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad