F Ryan Leonard - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 8th, WSH)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Leonard was occasionally separated from Smith and Perreault during the season. Not regularly but it would happen for stretches, largely when they were trying to better balance the lines. Has not really been a necessity since they promoted Hagens and Eiserman.

I didn't track his stats or anything during those games but I'm sure it's video thay scouts will circle back on to help get more signal on his play away from those guys.

I saw a few of those games. Leonard looked just as good with Eiserman and Moore as he did with Smith and Perreault, and both Eiserman and Moore's games were elevated. Smith and Perreault did not look as good without him though. (not that they were terrible, but Leonard is the glue guy on that line.)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Really like Leonard a ton as I dig in on this year. He is that piece that makes a dominate scoring line as that 2nd-3rd player. Not sure he is a line driver so it makes him hard for me to place right now on the board. Super versatile with skill and consistency in terms of when I have seen him he has always impressed. I hope he is around for the Wings, I just think he is one of those gritty glue guys that is going to put up numbers in the league while playing an abrasive game.

Ideally you want Leonard to be the 2nd or 3rd best guy on your 1st line but he does the small things that elevate the play of his linemates. On the NTDP he's the player that's first back in the defensive zone on his line. He's also first on the forecheck and in the corners. Leonard isn't a playmaker on the same level as Perreault and Smith but his ability to find teammates from anywhere and connect with his passes to keep play alive is top notch and I consider that just as important a skill as being able to set up your linemate for a tap-in.

In my opinion Leonard is the 5th best forward in this draft (It's pretty obvious who the other 4 are). He's got the kind of skillset and playstyle that you know will translate to success at the next level. I hope he's there for Detroit's pick at #9.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In my opinion Leonard is the 5th best forward in this draft (It's pretty obvious who the other 4 are). He's got the kind of skillset and playstyle that you know will translate to success at the next level. I hope he's there for Detroit's pick at #9.

The way it is shaping up, Leonard seems to be more likely to go #4 through #6. Yes even potentially #4. I don't think he'll be there at 8 or 9.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
The way it is shaping up, Leonard seems to be more likely to go #4 through #6. Yes even potentially #4. I don't think he'll be there at 8 or 9.

I could see Philadelphia making that pick but I think Arizona and Montreal will look more at Smith, Dvorsky, possibly Benson or Reinbacher with their picks.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
What makes Leonard ahead of Perreault when he scores less and isn't a 2-way C like Smith?
Im a huge smith fan, hope the hawks take him at 4/5. But he’s absolutely not a two way C right now.

If anything that’s probably the biggest area of improvement needed in his game.

Reactions: Doublechin

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What makes Leonard ahead of Perreault when he scores less and isn't a 2-way C like Smith?

Have you watched them play?

It's pretty obvious - Ryan Leonard is a beast. He takes puck battles on the board personally, he wins and competes all over the ice, he's got that bulldog mentality, great skater, his intelligence is off the charts, he's got great hands, he's a good finisher, he goes to the hard areas.

Ryan Leonard is the complementary winger who is skilled in his own right that makes every line better because he's on it.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020

Smith isn't a 2-way C and it drives me crazy that people have thrown out this narrative all season long. The guy probably doesn't even know his goalie's last name.

Perreault lacks the compete, shot, skating and power game of Leonard. Perreault is still a good prospect but a 5'10" 165lbs one dimensional winger vs. a 6'0" 190 power winger that does it all. That's no contest to me.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Smith isn't a 2-way C and it drives me crazy that people have thrown out this narrative all season long. The guy probably doesn't even know his goalie's last name.

Perreault lacks the compete, shot, skating and power game of Leonard. Perreault is still a good prospect but a 5'10" 165lbs one dimensional winger vs. a 6'0" 190 power winger that does it all. That's no contest to me.
Have you seen Smith, Leonard, and Perreault stand together? There’s no way Leonard is two inches taller than Perreault. You can compliment Leonard without lying bout his height, he’s 5’11” at best.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Have you seen Smith, Leonard, and Perreault stand together? There’s no way Leonard is two inches taller than Perreault. You can compliment Leonard without lying bout his height, he’s 5’11” at best.
Understandable mistake to make since Leonard plays like he's 6'3" 210lbs

Reactions: Realgud and NTDP

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Have you watched them play?

It's pretty obvious - Ryan Leonard is a beast. He takes puck battles on the board personally, he wins and competes all over the ice, he's got that bulldog mentality, great skater, his intelligence is off the charts, he's got great hands, he's a good finisher, he goes to the hard areas.

Ryan Leonard is the complementary winger who is skilled in his own right that makes every line better because he's on it.

He seems to be a guy who almost assuredly will be able to play on any line and type of line. The question is, how complementary will he be?

Assuming he's not a complete bust, he should have enough speed, skill and compete to be the 3rd wheel on a legitimate top line, even if he himself does not become a legitimate top line player.

It seems he has enough size, strength and compete to legitimately be part of a big, physical/puck possession line.

It also seems he has enough size, strength and compete to round out a line with a couple smurfs (on a top line, exploitation line, or anything in between).

He really seems like a sure bet to be a plug and play guy, who can complement any line and any type of line. And the type of guy who will be useful in the playoffs regardless of how his offense translates.

I guess you're dreaming on him to be the type of guy who can will himself to be a ppg+ guy. It's probably not super likely, but Brad Marchand willed himself to some well over ppg years and Leonard undoubtedly has better tools. Jarome Iginla is another guy who wasn't some phenom pre-draft, but he had the tools and will to become the Iginla we all know. Again, it's not terribly likely Leonard will reach those heights, but I don't think it's a case where you're dreaming on him becoming a Brenden Morrow for example.

Hamhuis2

Aug 21, 2014
I like this player a lot, seems like he would pair very well with an intelligent C.

I'm curious on HFBoards consensus:
- What is his NHL player comparable. Based on some descriptions here, is Zach Parise accurate?
- What is his expected offensive production. Seems like a safe bet to be a solid 2-way winger, but is that 40-60 points or 60+? (i.e. 2nd liner or 1st?)
- Where do you think he will get drafted? Top-5, top-10, or top-15? Don't think he slips past that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I like this player a lot, seems like he would pair very well with an intelligent C.

- What is his NHL player comparable. Based on some descriptions here, is Zach Parise accurate?
- What is his expected offensive production. Seems like a safe bet to be a solid 2-way winger, but is that 40-60 points or 60+? (i.e. 2nd liner or 1st?)
- Where do you think he will get drafted? Top-5, top-10, or top-15? Don't think he slips past that.

Comps are tricky for Leonard. Parise's tools were never that great, while Leonard has great speed, strength, and good handling and shot. Both have good motor and battle level for their size but Leonard is a lot stronger. I think of him a bit like Landeskog in that he takes on the dirty work job in both ends despite technically being the winger, and he has that strength and ability to win pucks and start possessions.

When I saw Leonard with Moore he was just as good as he was on the top line. That helps lead me to believe that he's probably 60+ pts in his NHL prime.

I see him going around #4-#7. It's a bit like Mason McTavish and Cutter Gauthier where the public lists sleep on the highly translatable guys until the end of the year.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Comps are tricky for Leonard. Parise's tools were never that great, while Leonard has great speed, strength, and good handling and shot. Both have good motor and battle level for their size but Leonard is a lot stronger. I think of him a bit like Landeskog in that he takes on the dirty work job in both ends despite technically being the winger, and he has that strength and ability to win pucks and start possessions.

When I saw Leonard with Moore he was just as good as he was on the top line. That helps lead me to believe that he's probably 60+ pts in his NHL prime.

I see him going around #4-#7. It's a bit like Mason McTavish and Cutter Gauthier where the public lists sleep on the highly translatable guys until the end of the year.

I think Leonard fits that Scott Hartnell, Ryan Callahan and Dustin Brown mold. Not a big power forward but pound for pound one of the strongest competitors out there. And I think it’s a safe bet he’s in their ballpark as far as production, though I wouldn’t be surprised if he scores more than them.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Wouldn’t be mad if the habs take him at #6 if they drop one spot
Either would I, tbh. I’m leaning towards him, Moore and Reinbacher with our 1st pick.

I’m okay with Smith and Benson, I’m kind of done with. He’s a good player but he’s not a need or doesn’t make our team much better if he’s here compared to who we already have.

Leonard, on the other hand, is the kind of player we need to play the type of hockey the Habs management wants to play.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018

- Where do you think he will get drafted? Top-5, top-10, or top-15? Don't think he slips past that
- I’ve thought about Parise myself but as another poster mentioned, Leonard has better overall tools.
- I think he has a fairly high skill level, even though he’ll bender be a true player driver on a top line. In his best years I can can 75-80 points, especially with how scoring had gone up.
-5-8 range IMO

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
- I’ve thought about Parise myself but as another poster mentioned, Leonard has better overall tools.
- I think he has a fairly high skill level, even though he’ll bender be a true player driver on a top line. In his best years I can can 75-80 points, especially with how scoring had gone up.
-5-8 range IMO
If he can learn to utilize his teammates more efficiently or can find chemistry with his line-mates he’ll be a star producer. People all see his physical tools, but Leonard has a ton of individual skill. Some games, he’s clearly the best player on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad