F Macklin Celebrini - Boston University Terriers, NCAA (2024, 1st, SJS)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Perhaps but I'm not sure if it would matter all that much. Yes the NTDP is younger but also much more talented than your typical USHL team. Chicago has 3 current drafted players and will most likely have a couple more drafted this upcoming draft and of course Celebrini for 24. That's 6 players compared to the 13-15 players that are usually drafted every year from the NTDP.

I would not yet call Chicago the best team in the USHL. They certainly are a contender for the league title but Fargo, Waterloo, Youngstown and Green Bay will all have soemthing to say about that,

It's obviously a hypothetical question that can't be answered. But it's more about contextualizing stats, not discounting Celebrini. An elite prospect like Celebrini playing a top role on a top USHL team is going to score more points than almost any NTDP U17 player. It has little to do with which team will have more draft picks down the line. Celebrini's 18 / 19 / 20-year-old teammates are better right now than the vast majority of the NTDP U17 players at this time.

The U17 team will of course end up with more draft picks but if you wanted an elite U17 player in a junior league to put up points, I'd rather have him with 18/19-year-old linemates than 16/17-year-old linemates. Age at this level makes a huge difference. It's similar to why it's important to contextualize NTDP U18 stats in the USHL. That's when your point (draft picks / overall talent) starts to take over because the extra year of physical and emotional maturation makes a huge deal. It's why the U17 team almost always has a poor USHL record and then in their U18 season, they win...a lot, and their PPG rises drastically.

Again, nothing above is to discount Celebrini. I'm not making a projection here, as the context doesn't mean he isn't the favorite for #1 in 2024 or that he won't be a better player down the line if he's not the #1 guy right now. He's an elite player and prospect and wherever anyone thinks he fits into a draft ranking, it should be based on a much different analysis than just simply looking at stats and concluding he's better than another player because of a higher PPG. Given the situation, it should be expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: ecemleafs

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Kind of misleading. Hughes had 2 ppg at 16, he just played a whole lot less games. Celebrini is having a great great year, a legit #1 candidate, he doesn't need any favors by misleading people who don't know the ntdp kids play way less games.
So Celebrini is slightly behind Hughes in scoring while having a more projectable build, better developed all-around game, and not playing on the most stacked USNTDP team ever? Still sounds pretty good.

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
So Celebrini is slightly behind Hughes in scoring while having a more projectable build, better developed all-around game, and not playing on the most stacked USNTDP team ever? Still sounds pretty good.
Hughes in his u17 season was called up early and played with the not-so-talented 2000 group, Celebrini plays on the better ushl team

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Has he been advancing his studies?

Or is this just wagering a guess?

It would be awesome to see him in the NCAA next year and is probably the best route for his development.
Have to imagine it’s either accelerate and play with his brother at BU or Seattle gets his brother and him as a package. I haven’t read anything concrete on that so maybe somebody else has? But seems like logical speculation.

Can’t fathom any benefit to him staying in the USHL. Would potentially hurt his stock if he can’t replicate his insano numbers from this year of for example the Steel aren’t as loaded.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
🙏🏻 celebrini can keep the party going in Seattle next year with likely NHL drafted players, Kevin Korchinski, Gracyn Sawchyn, Iginla, Myatovic, Ratzlaff et al.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
McKenna though is generational, with Bedard.
McDavid > McKenna > Bedard
For me.
I would have to disagree...Mckenna does not have higher upside than Bedard....Mckenna is amazing but for me I still think Mckenna and Misa are about neck and neck and I would put Celebrini right in the same category as both of them...one thing that makes Celebrini IMO with them is his IQ for the game is higher IMO than both of them...he plays both ends of the ice and is a very hard worker.

Reactions: wetcoast

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
It was stated somewhere in this thread from some reporter
Ya it's pretty well known at this point he's accelerating and will be at BU next year. Colby Cohen reported it first and it's been confirmed by a few other people like Chris Peters, Brad Schlossman, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad