F Macklin Celebrini - Boston University Terriers, NCAA (2024, 1st, SJS)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Ya it's pretty well known at this point he's accelerating and will be at BU next year. Colby Cohen reported it first and it's been confirmed by a few other people like Chris Peters, Brad Schlossman, etc.

Could be trouble IMO. He is definitely good enough for NCAA hockey, but he will be 17 for the entire season and BU Hockey is known for crazy parties, makes more sense to just go the same time as his brother. That's without taking into account college workload. Macklin being so good really threw a wrench into their family plans as the younger brother will now be ready for NCAA hockey before the older bro, and he could play one season and turn pro.

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
Could be trouble IMO. He is definitely good enough for NCAA hockey, but he will be 17 for the entire season and BU Hockey is known for crazy parties, makes more sense to just go the same time as his brother. That's without taking into account college workload. Macklin being so good really threw a wrench into their family plans as the younger brother will now be ready for NCAA hockey before the older bro, and he could play one season and turn pro.
Its no Big Ten school he will be fine

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Its no Big Ten school he will be fine

10 years ago and the culture around the hockey world has changed some, but this was a pretty big news story at the time.

The primary concern was that the coaches fostered a culture where this sort of behavior was encouraged.

I know junior hockey is pretty wild these days, but it's got to be tough for a parent to send their 16/17 year old son off to an environment where they will be encouraged by adults to engage in behavior that will compromise their future.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010

10 years ago and the culture around the hockey world has changed some, but this was a pretty big news story at the time.

The primary concern was that the coaches fostered a culture where this sort of behavior was encouraged.

I know junior hockey is pretty wild these days, but it's got to be tough for a parent to send their 16/17 year old son off to an environment where they will be encouraged by adults to engage in behavior that will compromise their future.
They’re 3 coaches on from this, I’m not too concerned with him going a year early there or the culture there. Pandolfo from all accounts is pretty no nonsense. Realistically, if you want to get in trouble at any school you can but they’ve built a pretty intensive support system at BU. He’s not the first player to accelerate there, this isn’t new there. Younger players have done it elsewhere as well, Werenski at Michigan was younger and he did just fine

Reactions: wetcoast

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Plus Mack’s dad is a former professional soccer player and a pretty renowned doctor and physiotherapist for a myriad of top level sports franchises on the West Coast.

That’s not to say it guarantees anything (see the petulant baby jerk child of one certain Flyers GM - though clearly that kid wasn’t pursuing a top level hockey future) - but I would wager Rick’s sons have been in and around NHL, MLS and NBA organizations since toddlers. Which is to say I’m betting they have a pretty grounded perspective on professional athletics. Of course 18 year-olds on campus for the first time will act like 18 year-olds on campus at times. But there’s little reason to start worrying about something before there’s even something to worry about.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014

if he wants to party he'll find parties no matter where he is. he's borderline prodigy level, even if culture issues existed in whatever program he went, 1 the kid is a prodigy recruit - no one is forcing him to do anything and 2 - if he went to a school with a so called party culture there's a pretty good chance it ain't taking him by surprise. every school is going to have those opportunities, and being in a city like chicago as an elite pro prospect, he could get into just as much trouble there if he wanted. if he's gonna make bad choices he's going to have the same opportunities to do so no matter where he is. i'm not sure why it would be a concern in the first place, every kid is gonna have their fun....esp high end hockey players. as long as he doesn't do anything that crosses some pretty extreme boundaries - and it's pretty easy to avoid those - i don't see it being any concern unless there's some known reason to bring it up.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Interesting he is heading to the u18s , obviously his team is allowing it but it's a bit odd to me that you would leave during the playoffs for a tournament, props to the organization for allowing this and maybe I only find it odd because no CHL team ever does this.

The u18s is a bigger stage and international competition but some part of me thinks a player would want to stay with his club and compete for a league championship for the entire run. Good for fans (especially of Canada) but this has to be a blow to his ushl team. Not that I assume anyone blames him or has any hard feelings towards the decision, but I am just accustomed to seeing prospects play with their clubs rather than opt out of the playoffs for the u18s. If Canada had most of their top guys opt out of CHL playoffs this tournament would be a lot better to watch IMO because it would give Canada a true best on best vs the other teams for the first time (u17 is broken up into 3 teams and hlinka sees the USA B team)

Reactions: prongertheman9

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Other guys have fast tracked their way to college or went on time. Cale Makar, Jonathan Toews, Jack Eichel, seem to be the few off the top of my head.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Other guys have fast tracked their way to college or went on time. Cale Makar, Jonathan Toews, Jack Eichel, seem to be the few off the top of my head.

Most of these guys started their NCAA hockey career after their 18th birthdays. I think Makar was 19. Celebrini turns 17 this summer and will not turn 18 until after the NCAA season is complete.

Toews and Weresnki are the only notable guys who played as young as Celebrini.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Interesting he is heading to the u18s , obviously his team is allowing it but it's a bit odd to me that you would leave during the playoffs for a tournament, props to the organization for allowing this and maybe I only find it odd because no CHL team ever does this.

The u18s is a bigger stage and international competition but some part of me thinks a player would want to stay with his club and compete for a league championship for the entire run. Good for fans (especially of Canada) but this has to be a blow to his ushl team. Not that I assume anyone blames him or has any hard feelings towards the decision, but I am just accustomed to seeing prospects play with their clubs rather than opt out of the playoffs for the u18s. If Canada had most of their top guys opt out of CHL playoffs this tournament would be a lot better to watch IMO because it would give Canada a true best on best vs the other teams for the first time (u17 is broken up into 3 teams and hlinka sees the USA B team)
I find this very interesting as well, not sure I've ever heard of a player leaving during a playoff run for an international tournament.

However, maybe we're just getting another example of why Chicago (USHL) continues to get and recruit high end players into their program vs. NTDP, CHL, etc... Maybe their pitch is a very player first/development first style. Maybe these situations are communicated to players and that helps in the recruitment process.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

This is why Chicago keeps getting top recruits. Really player friendly org.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Most of these guys started their NCAA hockey career after their 18th birthdays. I think Makar was 19. Celebrini turns 17 this summer and will not turn 18 until after the NCAA season is complete.

Toews and Weresnki are the only notable guys who played as young as Celebrini.
Seemed to have worked out ok for them..

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
It also helps being the biggest/most desirable city by far in the USHL
Not sure how much of a draw Chicago is for these young kids. It's a crime riddled mess right now.

Has everything to do with how there program is run top to bottom. Not location.

I'd rather be almost anywhere else in the USHL, though obviously that's just, MO.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
His brother is a Late 04, so it's possible they'll take him for next year (especially if that helps with Macklin). Aiden is on the draft radar, so it wouldn't be all that weird for him to forego his last year of Juniors. I don't know what BU is looking at as far as player retention to what extent it makes sense but it seems like with Macklin coming aboard they may just accelerate both.

Going to college/playing as a 17 year old isn't too weird and it happens from time to time. Owen Power and Adam Fantilli were in the same boat coming out of the Steel, it's just that they were Late Birthdays as well, so it was their "age 18" season for Junior Hockey purposes but it was their draft eligible Age 17 going on 18 season for NHL Draft purposes.

Really no reason it would be more trouble for Macklin as a 17 year old than any other underage player, and considering the drinking age in all of the U.S. is 21, that's the bulk of high-level NHL prospects that play college hockey. Other than just an overall life/maturity standpoint of the difference between being 17 and 18, but that's so unique to every player and ultimately something the player and his parents can figure out for themselves.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Not sure how much of a draw Chicago is for these young kids. It's a crime riddled mess right now.

Has everything to do with how there program is run top to bottom. Not location.

I'd rather be almost anywhere else in the USHL, though obviously that's just, MO.
The "Chicago" Steel aren't actually based out of Chicago for what it's worth. They play in the Fox Valley Arena which is in Geneva, IL, with no traffic that's a 45 minute drive to the United Center (where you wouldn't venture too far out of the stadium's vicinity if you are worried about crime). Where the Steel play is a fairly affluent western suburb (really the outer-edges of what would still be called Chicago Suburbs), and all the billet families are located somewhere in the Fox Valley.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
The "Chicago" Steel aren't actually based out of Chicago for what it's worth. They play in the Fox Valley Arena which is in Geneva, IL, with no traffic that's a 45 minute drive to the United Center (where you wouldn't venture too far out of the stadium's vicinity if you are worried about crime). Where the Steel play is a fairly affluent western suburb (really the outer-edges of what would still be called Chicago Suburbs), and all the billet families are located somewhere in the Fox Valley.
Thanks for the info.

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
Even if you're worried about crime it wont effect you and Chicago has a lot more to do than any other city in the USHL (all small midwest cities)

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Not sure how much of a draw Chicago is for these young kids. It's a crime riddled mess right now
Its not even in chicago proper lmfao the rink is in fox valley geneva illinois. Absolute bumblef*** only 15 minutes a drive in the opposite direction and it would be closer to rockford. It is closer to dekalb in reality.

The organization has some of the best skills coaches in the nation. They develop their players really well. That’s the draw

Reactions: Torts

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
This, but it’s worth noting the area around the UC isn’t actually the bad spots you would worry about nowadays. The UC is nearby mostly medical industry that’s become rooted in that area between university of illinois and Rush. The problem areas from what I see have become the tourist areas including places like wrigley and around river north/the loop, where individuals coming from neighborhoods more south will prey on even groups of 9 people bar hopping for example and run them for their wallets and personal items. The areas near the medical campus from what I understand don’t have the same kind of activity. It certainly wouldn’t happen at a rink like the blackhawks practice facility

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Even if you're worried about crime it wont effect you and Chicago has a lot more to do than any other city in the USHL (all small midwest cities)
I live and own property in Chicago. It really just depends on where you are. I go out for walks late at night to the store/bar all the time because I live in a safe, residential neighborhood, so I'm not too concerned with crime (*knock on wood*). Different people have different tolerances I guess, so for some people just saying a homeless person high out of their mind on you know what causing a ruckus on the Subway can be a bit intimidating. I dunno how much Junior hockey players care/should care about a "cool" city as they can't legally go into bars and they don't have much money (just what their parents send them).

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
This, but it’s worth noting the area around the UC isn’t actually the bad spots you would worry about nowadays. The UC is nearby mostly medical industry that’s become rooted in that area between university of illinois and Rush. The problem areas from what I see have become the tourist areas including places like wrigley and around river north/the loop, where individuals coming from neighborhoods more south will prey on even groups of 9 people bar hopping for example and run them for their wallets and personal items. The areas near the medical campus from what I understand don’t have the same kind of activity. It certainly wouldn’t happen at a rink like the blackhawks practice facility
Yes, fair point. I was referring more to the some of the rougher west side neighborhoods with a lot of gang activity like East and West Garfield Park and North Lawndale, which aren't like areas you'd accidentally stumble upon walking out of the United Center but aren't too far away either. The Near West Side is heavily gentrified these days with how yuppy the West Loop has gotten, and in and of itself isn't a bad area, just borders some rough ones.

Reactions: Malaka

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Yes, fair point. I was referring more to the some of the rougher west side neighborhoods with a lot of gang activity like East and West Garfield Park and North Lawndale, which aren't like areas you'd accidentally stumble upon walking out of the United Center but aren't too far away either. The Near West Side is heavily gentrified these days with how yuppy the West Loop has gotten, and in and of itself isn't a bad area, just borders some rough ones.
I remember walking a few years ago after a dead and co. Concert at wrigley with a buddy and nearly getting jumped chased after by a large group hanging out off the lake trying to start shit. To me it seems like the gentrification which has these gangs fighting one another over territory has spilled out to really yuppy areas farther out where that conflict is not familiar or present...Feels like gotham in a batman movie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad