F Mackie Samoskevich - Chicago Steel, USHL (2021, 24th, FLA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
This player needs to be getting more attention. I'll admit that the number of prospects I've watch this year is limited, but I can't see how this player isn't a top 20 pick in a standard draft. He's a bit overshadowed by Coronato, whom I'd actually have a tier lower. I just don't see any validity to these rankings that have him in the 40-70 range. I'd be pretty surprised if he isn't a day 1 pick.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This player needs to be getting more attention. I'll admit that the number of prospects I've watch this year is limited, but I can't see how this player isn't a top 20 pick in a standard draft. He's a bit overshadowed by Coronato, whom I'd actually have a tier lower. I just don't see any validity to these rankings that have him in the 40-70 range. I'd be pretty surprised if he isn't a day 1 pick.

People who don't watch him play. The reputable rankings have him first round.

He's not played the last few weeks. USHL is always notoriously difficult to find injury info on. Hopefully its not something that keeps him out too long.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
People who don't watch him play. The reputable rankings have him first round.

He's not played the last few weeks. USHL is always notoriously difficult to find injury info on. Hopefully its not something that keeps him out too long.
I noticed that he hasn’t been playing. Was a little disappointed; I wanted to watch him more this year. Trying to assess if he can stick at center or not.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I've seen Samoskevich ranked pretty consistently outside of the first round, and I don't think I've seen him ranked higher than #19 overall (eliteprospects). That is pretty insane to me. Like I consistently see players with not great upside ranked above Samoskevich and I really just don't get the reasoning.

This kid is going to walk into a top 6 alongside Beniers, K. Johnson, Bordeleau, and Brisson, and put up stupid points next year. So much talent here.

Samoskevich is going to fall into the second round, improve his first step and add strength, and leave a dozen + teams wondering why they let him slip past.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Echoing other users in this thread, I really just cannot overstate how good I think this kid is and how confused I am that he isn't garnering more attention. If my GM walked up and called his name in the top 10, I wouldn't blink.

I really just think folks are asleep at the wheel with this kid, and with this Steel team in general to some extent.

Also, I hope Mel Pearson tries Johnson-Beniers-Samoskevich next year- it would be electric.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I think the upside with Samoskevich is greater than that of his teammate Matthew Coronato.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Sorry, no, Matthew Coronato has scored historical numbers in the USHL this season, for the Steel & League.
braking Thomas Vanek's record for one, is a big deal.

reg+post season : 5 goal shy of 60 goals, 5 points shy of 100 points, in his draft year, as a 17, 18 year old
how he has played without Farrell? well, at these play-offs they have played in a different line,
Coronato has scored 7 goals, 10 points in 6 games, leads the play-offs in goals & points

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Sorry, no, Matthew Coronato has scored historical numbers in the USHL this season, for the Steel & League.
braking Thomas Vanek's record for one, is a big deal.

reg+post season : 5 goal shy of 60 goals, 5 points shy of 100 points, in his draft year, as a 17, 18 year old
how he has played without Farrell? well, at these play-offs they have played in a different line,
Coronato has scored 7 goals, 10 points in 6 games, leads the play-offs in goals & points
I know how to look at stats too

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
And i have watched every highlight video of Coronato's games this season and other video clips,
so, yeah :) - he is better - he isn't just goals and points you know, they don't call him the bison for nothing you know
You still have said nothing to back up your point.

All you've said so far is that you like his stats and highlight videos.

Just to be clear, I don't dislike Coronato but long term I'm thinking Samoskevich ends up the better player. He has elite skating, and his puck handling and passing is probably near elite too.

Coronato doesn't exactly do anything at an elite level except maybe shooting.

So I think it's fair to say Coronato is better now. You're right that the stats don't lie. But 5 years from now, which is what matters, who will be better? I think Samoskevich.

Its the old floor vs ceiling debate.

Reactions: koalabear9301

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
I think the upside with Samoskevich is greater than that of his teammate Matthew Coronato.

His upside is in another tier than Coronato. The boxscore doesn't always tell the story.

Coronato is safer for sure, but I don't see more than a middle-6 guy while Samoskevich could easily be a top-5 guy from this draft (or not make it at all).

I bet on Mackie over Coronato all day when making that pick though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
there seem to be a lot of players, especially Centers, that could go anywhere from the low teens to early second round. I see Samo in a similar tier to Pinelli, Svechkov, and Raty, maybe even Stankoven .

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

At the start of the USHL season I had a sub to hockey.tv to see Farrell so I got to see a good bit of these guys. At the time I felt Samoskevich had more upside but I really liked the way Coronato played. Then Samoskevich got hurt, and I didn't have a sub any more so I didn't get to see much of him the rest of the season. Coronato just exploded though, it's really hard to overlook what an insane season he's had, though on a very stacked team.

To me this is going to be a very interesting question to see how these two turn out. It's funny how they are born a day a part and about 2 hours from each other and yet end up on a line with each other.

I like that Samoskevich is going to Michigan as that team will be a lot of fun to watch next year. I'm not a big fan of Coronato going to Harvard but I will likely get to see a good bit of him there since Farrell will be there with him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
What’s the point of comparing Coronato and Samoskevich? I’ve never liked this comparison people have tried to force. They play the game very differently. Both players have their value. Who cares who goes higher? It’s like comparing Colangelo and Brisson from last season. I had Brisson much higher than Colangelo, but I’m not sure comparing the two added much to a discussion about how they project to the NHL.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
At the start of the USHL season I had a sub to hockey.tv to see Farrell so I got to see a good bit of these guys. At the time I felt Samoskevich had more upside but I really liked the way Coronato played. Then Samoskevich got hurt, and I didn't have a sub any more so I didn't get to see much of him the rest of the season. Coronato just exploded though, it's really hard to overlook what an insane season he's had, though on a very stacked team.

To me this is going to be a very interesting question to see how these two turn out. It's funny how they are born a day a part and about 2 hours from each other and yet end up on a line with each other.

I like that Samoskevich is going to Michigan as that team will be a lot of fun to watch next year. I'm not a big fan of Coronato going to Harvard but I will likely get to see a good bit of him there since Farrell will be there with him.

I haven't seen much of Samoskevich this year, but reading the draft profiles and watching the highlights this kid gives me JT Miller vibes. Am I off base here? If so, who do you think is an NHL comparable?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I haven't seen much of Samoskevich this year, but reading the draft profiles and watching the highlights this kid gives me JT Miller vibes. Am I off base here? If so, who do you think is an NHL comparable?

He’s not as much of a two way forward and physical presence. He’s a pure scoring forward. Think William Nylander.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What’s the point of comparing Coronato and Samoskevich? I’ve never liked this comparison people have tried to force. They play the game very differently. Both players have their value. Who cares who goes higher? It’s like comparing Colangelo and Brisson from last season. I had Brisson much higher than Colangelo, but I’m not sure comparing the two added much to a discussion about how they project to the NHL.

for me it's about getting the better one, if the Habs were pick one as for our fan base I would never hear the end of if picked one and the other ends up being the better player.

I don't see Miller, but not a big fan of making NHL comparables.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You still have said nothing to back up your point.

All you've said so far is that you like his stats and highlight videos.

Just to be clear, I don't dislike Coronato but long term I'm thinking Samoskevich ends up the better player. He has elite skating, and his puck handling and passing is probably near elite too.

Coronato doesn't exactly do anything at an elite level except maybe shooting.

So I think it's fair to say Coronato is better now. You're right that the stats don't lie. But 5 years from now, which is what matters, who will be better? I think Samoskevich.

Its the old floor vs ceiling debate.

If Samoskevitch has superior skating, hands and playmaking, what's the explanation for him being massively out-produced by Coronato on the same team over the last two years?

It sounds like Samoskevitch is not getting enough out of his tools, while Coronato is getting far more out of his comparatively limited skillset, which may indicate a significant difference in hockey IQ/decision-making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad