F Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS, Finland U20 (2022 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
To me he has to show more in Liiga before being considered NHL ready. Can he go to the AHL like Rantanen after his draft year? That might be more beneficial.

Reactions: jrom and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Even if the Habs pick Wright, which I hope they do at this point, Slaf looks the most NHL ready at this point, and the only one I would say with confidence should be in the show next year.
He also has the longest development curve due to his size. Which is why he has the most upside.

To me he has to show more in Liiga before being considered NHL ready. Can he go to the AHL like Rantanen after his draft year? That might be more beneficial.
No reason to rush him he has a long way.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
He also has the longest development curve due to his size. Which is why he has the most upside.

Meh , I think a year in the AHL would be good but I wouldnt say he has a long way to go.. He is more NHL ready than most in the draft. It would surprise me if he needed more than one year before he plays in the NHL

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Meh , I think a year in the AHL would be good but I wouldnt say he has a long way to go.. He is more NHL ready than most in the draft. It would surprise me if he needed more than one year before he plays in the NHL
I meant a long way to go before he starts to hit his North American Prime.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I meant a long way to go before he starts to hit his North American Prime.
Agreed. He will probably need 3-4 seasons to really settle in and be that reliable points producer in the NHL. Not unlike other big wingers out there.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Gaudreau and Hughes on the same line won’t work . Both are elite carrying the puck through the neutral zone and entering the O zone to set up offence . It’s a pipe dream . Flames won’t let Johnny walk
They would absolutely work. Gaudreau is actually better without the puck than with it. This year with Lindholm and Tkachuk he didn't have to carry the mail nearly as much and you saw the results.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
What makes Rantanen the player he is today is that he seeks out contact, doesn't shy away from taking hits, strong on the puck, shields it well, goes to the dirty areas. Thats what will decide Slafovsky's actual potential in NHL.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
They would absolutely work. Gaudreau is actually better without the puck than with it. This year with Lindholm and Tkachuk he didn't have to carry the mail nearly as much and you saw the results.
dont get me wrong ,id love Johnny on the Devils . But i just cant see him leaving Calgary / Calgary not giving him what he wants. I also don't see Johhny as THE best use of cap for the Devils. If they draft Slafkovsky and maybe Nichushkin , then maybe yes , but our cap space would be non existent unless we can dump Tatar , Johnson , Zacha ,

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I can't watch his game today. But Switzerland is a worthy opponent. How has he looked so far in this game? I see that he has scored his first goal of the tournament. Anyone has a clip of the goal?

Diehard Devil

May 16, 2022

Im only here because the Devils may take Slafkovsky. I dont pretend to know anything about these prospects though, I really put my research in once my team picks guys.

But if hes already the actual listed weight of 215-220, it may not take as long for him to acclimate himself and his skillset to utilizing his body as it would for kids this size who are usually quite lanky at 17-18.

Just throwing that out there. I do know power forwards usually take longer to come together, just curious to think that if hes already a big boy by weight too then maybe he is a step ahead (and is why he is starting to climb rankings, because his game is starting to take shape)

His first time in NA would be quite the change though, especially for a bigger guy who also uses slick hands a lot. Less space to do so Id reckon would take some getting used to

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Looking awesome is not quantifiable therefore not valid for data analysis.

He is generating 2.67 shots per game, which implies about a goal per 4 games. So far he has 0 in 3 games, which is not a fluke. Scoring 7 goals in 7 games is a massive fluke.
Fluke today with a nice snipe against powerhouse Switzerland? :rolleyes:

Not sure why its so hard for so many people just to accept that he is a future NHL star.

Reactions: bert and stastny12

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
So he makes a mistake and then he is a bust? Megqtes any of the positive attributes he has because he makes a poor decision? He doesn’t due it too often to be worrisome
I mean he was also directly responsible for goals against in the game against Canada. Plus, you know, what you're saying "so he makes a mistake and then he's a bust?" could also apply to everyone who can only see what he does good: "so he has a good flash and he'll be an NHL star?" Fact is both kind of plays are part of his game at the moment and people use each kind of play to push their agenda.

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I mean he was also directly responsible for gosls against in the game against Canada. Plus, you know, what you're saying "so he makes a mistake and then he's a bust?" could also apply to everyone who can only see what he does good: "so he has a good flash and he'll be an NHL star?" Fact is both kind of plays are part of his game at the moment and people use each kind of play to push their agenda.
Meh. It can be coached out of him. He has decent - good hockey IQ so a play like that is not biggie. It wasnt lack of skill or ability that caused a turnover , it was a brain cramp.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Meh. It can be coached out of him. He has decent - good hockey IQ so a play like that is not biggie. It wasnt lack of skill or ability that caused a turnover , it was a brain cramp.
If this is how you analyze, it's starting with a narrative and then building your analysis to fit the narrative. To be objective, you start with a blank slate and then gauge the player's attributes by what they're doing.

Slafkovsky has these "brain cramps" pretty often. Forcing plays, tunnel vision, general sloppiness. In TPS he struggled greatly with the fundamentals.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Puck management is part of hockey iq. He has skills, that's for sure, but he tends to keep the puck for much too long and forces plays which leads to bad turnovers. He's still a very raw player. He does have potential though. Whether his shortcomings are coachable remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad