F Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS, Finland U20 (2022 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
Definitely disagree about Slaf's ability to use his size to his advantage though. He's very strong especially for a player his age and does use that, it's really hard to get the puck off his stick. Not a power forward type but a strong puck possession player for sure.
I meant that he should use his big body more to challenge defenders instead of those uneffective dangles. I didn't mean to say he is bad at using his size, i just hope he gets better understanding when to use it.

Reactions: MakoSlade

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
His speed isn’t even one of his best assets. He has some of the best hands in the draft and is good at using his combination of great puck handling and size down low and along the boards. I’m not sure why you keep talking about his speed. He’s not a speed guy. You can’t find a single scouting report saying the things you’re saying. What you’re saying just doesn’t make sense. There’s people that think his IQ is good, there’s people that aren’t sure but pretty much every single person agrees that he’s good at using his body and has really good hands.
He is pretty fast player for his size in Liiga atleast. Not saying his skating technique is flawless. He could challenge defenders with speed and size but he usually tries some dangles and loses the puck. Did i say he has bad hands? im not saying he can't use his body but he chooses times to use it very poorly. I don't usually read scouting reports that much, i like watching games unlike you.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
He is pretty fast player for his size in Liiga atleast. Not saying his skating technique is flawless. He could challenge defenders with speed and size but he usually tries some dangles and loses the puck. Did i say he has bad hands? im not saying he can't use his body but he chooses times to use it very poorly. I don't usually read scouting reports that much, i like watching games unlike you.
lol nope I’ve watched a ton of games. I also like to read what other people think about him. He’s not a fast player. He’s a big guy with really good skill who uses his size and body very effectively. He’s not slow but he’s not a guy who’s gonna burn defenders with his speed. Does he try to dangle too much at times? Yes but that’s a common thing with skilled young players. He’s very good at using his size and body along the boards, around the net and on the forecheck. Not sure what you’re talking about.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
ce6eff871e3818b9d1d9b8d26dc61c40338cbc06r1-480-202_hq.gif

Unless you expect him to keep shooting 29% for forever then yes that's literally how these things work. Yes he got 7 goals in 7 games. No that is not repeatable because he would not continue to shoot 29%. Half that would be somewhat reasonable to expect and that's 3-4 goals.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
This year he of course is. Being barely above PPG in the Finnish U20 for his D-1 and DY combined is not what you want from a potential 2nd overall pick. Last year though his production's pretty considerably worse than the rest in their D-1's and then this year it was also considerably worse. I don't see how this guy is seen as a slam dunk top 5 pick alone top 3 like some think he is. He's got the big boy bump and the shooting 29% in a 7 game sample bump.
Honestly you'd better stop talking about this topic because obviously you've never seen him play.

If Slafkovsky is expected top 3 it's because he's a very complete power forward, not a shooter. He showed he could be a goalscorer but if it was just that he would be seen as Kemell. But besides that, he brings a lot in the puckless game, especially in the boards. He is a hard worker. But that is not written in the goal statistics. You have to see the games to observe the level of Slafkovsky. Its high rank is not a matter of statistics.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Again looking like the best player for the Slovaks; there is so much more to him then just productivity.
Funny thing tho. His weak pass to middle in offensive zone started one goal for Germany. Nemec was on the ice as well during that goal looking bit lost. Nemec also took one penalty.

Nemec game has been kinda iffy. Some good, some bad. Same with Slafkovsky.

Other than that, decent game from both though. Slaf also caused some good chances for them.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Slafkovsky would seem a lot faster if he was playing teenagers in the CHL or USHL instead of most of his prominent viewing being against rosters of ex-NHL players.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
His skating does not look bad at all, keeps up fine. His first few steps are not amazing but nothing to worry about. I thought he might be lacking somewhat in the skating department but looked good against Germany today.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Yup. His skating is not going to be problem. He is just not gonna explode with puck straight away but he can protect puck well enough for that to be a problem.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Yup. His skating is not going to be problem. He is just not gonna explode with puck straight away but he can protect puck well enough for that to be a problem.
Yes it would be deadly if he could protect the puck along the boards and explode to the net with elite first few steps , but how many players in the NHL can do that now ? A handful maybe and they are elite studs like Crosby

Is Slafkovsky a better or lesser prospect than what Svechnikov was at the time of his draft? Is Slaf’s ceiling below what Svechnikov currently is at now?

Last edited:

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Yes it would be deadly if he could protect the puck along the boards and explode to the net with elite first few steps , but how many players in the NHL can do that now ? A handful maybe and they are elite studs like Crosby

Is Slafkovsky a better or lesser prospect than what Svechnikov was at the time of his draft? Is Slaf’s ceiling below what Svechnikov currently is at now?
Svechnikov was definitely the better prospect

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Svech was a far superior prospect in every manner of the game. No comparison.

I think Slaf is the most overrated prospect in sometime.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I haven't been following him that much before, but he's a big kid and very heavy. It usually takes some time for these big and heavy forward kids to get their full potential out and adjust their skating and movement to the NHL level.

Rantanen, Barkov, Wheeler to give you some examples. And especially if Slaf had some crazy growth during short period of time.

I'd say at this point he's similar prospect to Rantanen, but then again he's one of the best wingers in the league currently so it's unfair to expect that Slaf would get there, but it's possible.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I haven't been following him that much before, but he's a big kid and very heavy. It usually takes some time for these big and heavy forward kids to get their full potential out and adjust their skating and movement to the NHL level.

Rantanen, Barkov, Wheeler to give you some examples. And especially if Slaf had some crazy growth during short period of time.

I'd say at this point he's similar prospect to Rantanen, but then again he's one of the best wingers in the league currently so it's unfair to expect that Slaf would get there, but it's possible.
Could also say Draisaitl

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
More noticeable against team Canada than Wright is against North Bay. Major Hossa vibes, his back pressure is super similar. He is just bigger... Skill on display too. Anyone thinking Wright is a lock for 1 isn't watching the games. Or they don't know what to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad