F Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS, Finland U20 (2022 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He played most out of any TPS forwards tonight (19:58). No points (0-1 loss), but safe to say he has made an impression in the two games so far.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
He played most out of any TPS forwards tonight (19:58). No points (0-1 loss), but safe to say he has made an impression in the two games so far.
I didn't watch the 1st period but I really like what I saw from him today. He can create a lot of scoring opportunities for him and his teammates thanks to his size and stickhandling. The only thing that is missing are some points. But its seems like whole TPS as a team has problem with scoring goals but its still only beginning of the season.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I didn't watch the 1st period but I really like what I saw from him today. He can create a lot of scoring opportunities for him and his teammates thanks to his size and stickhandling. The only thing that is missing are some points. But its seems like whole TPS as a team has problem with scoring goals but its still only beginning of the season.
It really has been a problem through the pre-season and the start of the season, but not too concerned. We are seriously missing Pärssinen who left to the Preds training camp after game #2. But not too worried like I said, a few games into the season. No need to overreact. But I would be surprised if Salfkovsky is dropped from the line up anytime soon if continues to play like this.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I can only assume it's because Liiga incorrectly lists him as a center - however, credible scouting agencies should be able to recognize such mistakes and go: "Hey wait a second, this guy's never played center, and all his Liiga games have been on wing. Perhaps he's not a center". I also would question why he's listed as playing in "SM-Liiga Jr." when he's played 3 games there this season.

As for Slafkovsky, some time ago when I was watching him I noted that he didn't look that special to me and found him to be quite overrated(This was over a year ago though), but all the lists now are consistently ranking him way above where I would have him. I guess it'll be interesting to see how it goes, though I'll say his ice time's gone from 16-20 min to 11-13min and he got demoted from 2nd line to 3rd line and he's scored 1 point in 7 games.

Reactions: hellwar9

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I can only assume it's because Liiga incorrectly lists him as a center - however, credible scouting agencies should be able to recognize such mistakes and go: "Hey wait a second, this guy's never played center, and all his Liiga games have been on wing. Perhaps he's not a center". I also would question why he's listed as playing in "SM-Liiga Jr." when he's played 3 games there this season.

As for Slafkovsky, some time ago when I was watching him I noted that he didn't look that special to me and found him to be quite overrated(This was over a year ago though), but all the lists now are consistently ranking him way above where I would have him. I guess it'll be interesting to see how it goes, though I'll say his ice time's gone from 16-20 min to 11-13min and he got demoted from 2nd line to 3rd line and he's scored 1 point in 7 games.
Yes yes we know, you are not a fan of Slovak prospects.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yes yes we know, you are not a fan of Slovak prospects.
I don't understand why it's so important to you (and many Slovak posters) to make it about nationality. Defending your country's prospects with actual arguments is one thing, labelling everyone as "a hater" is another. Especially when we are talking about the country most people don't feel particularly strongly about one way or another. With all due respect. "Slovak prospect" is not a defining feature to most people.

Considering Slafkovsky's production, the critique, especially coming from Finish posters about the player who is playing the Finish league, seems to have a lot of merit.

Last edited:
Reactions: hellwar9

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
I actually think he is getting a bit overrated. I'd be positively shocked if Slaf turned out to be a top 5 pick. The reality probably leans towards mid to late 1st round currently in my opinion.

I think a guy like Kemell will eventually surpass him on the draft board, but once Slaf gets his shooting/finishing together (hope he will), he can be the better player as I think his potential is a bit higher

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I don't understand why it's so important to you (and many Slovak posters) to make it about nationality. Defending your country's prospects with actual arguments is one thing, labelling everyone as "a hater" is another. Especially when we are talking about the country most people don't feel particularly strongly about one way or another. With all due respect. "Slovak prospect" is not a defining feature to most people.

Considering Slafkovsky's production, the critique, especially coming from Finish posters about the player who is playing the Finish league, seems to have a lot of merit.
He has said the same thing about pretty much every Slovak prospect in Finland, regardless of production and play. I don’t disagree with Slafkovsky needing to pick up production, never said that. Of course it’s a valid criticism.

Last edited:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I actually think he is getting a bit overrated. I'd be positively shocked if Slaf turned out to be a top 5 pick. The reality probably leans towards mid to late 1st round currently in my opinion.

I think a guy like Kemell will eventually surpass him on the draft board, but once Slaf gets his shooting/finishing together (hope he will), he can be the better player as I think his potential is a bit higher

Yes and No.
This hype is mostly because Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. And he is big, can move, can protect the puck and isnt afraid from physical hockey.

Production in Liiga is for now almost zero. But still, we shouldn't look to this season as the defining season. Draft is always about potential. What can be. Where he could go. Even if his production this season is weak (between seniors, man could only guess how it would be in CHL), the scouts will always focus to future potential. And no doubt, his potential is way further, as his skills for now.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
All this discussion over something with a very easy explanation. The scouting reports and positions were from Button, not McKenzie. Button thinks he’s a center. He also listed McGroarty as a center, who doesn’t regularly play center.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Most forwards can play on both wing and center.

Slafkovsky has more of a center power's profile although I have always seen him play on the left wing.

But in every one of his games that I saw, he played outclassed or another more talented player occupied the No.1 center role.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Why would you be shocked? Guys with his combination of size, skill, skating are always going to be very appealing to NHL teams.

I also think it's very possible we see his minutes/production go up as the season goes on.

Reactions: Martinez89
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad