F Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS, Finland U20 (2022 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Why would you be shocked? Guys with his combination of size, skill, skating are always going to be very appealing to NHL teams.

I also think it's very possible we see his minutes/production go up as the season goes on.
He has a big advantage in his size and style of play, but top 5 has always seemed little bit of a stretch to me. Today he is not a top 5 player of this draft. But again, NHL teams look at how the player projects to the NHL, so he could get picked quite early. Not as early as top 5 though.

Last edited:

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
He has a big advantage in his size and style of play, but top 5 has always seemed little bit of a stretch to me. Today he is not a top 5 player of this draft. But again, NHL teams look at how the player projects to the NHL, so he could get picked quite early. Not as early as top 5 though.
I think for him to go top 5 it would require 2 things. First, dominant WJC on the level of Laine or Puljujarvi in their draft year. Second, around 0.5 ppg in Liiga

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
There are a lot of people for the top 5 before him. It is possible, but I am skeptical.

A fundamental question : is it considered a Center?

Kemell certainly takes a place. Wright looks disappointing but on the face of it he still has a place. For me, but I know it's a point of disagreement between us, Nemec is in front of him.

You add the talented Savoie, Jiricek, Cooley and the two Russians - there are lots of people.

If Slafkovsky is seen as a Center of Power, his chances increase significantly.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
I'd say today the only "sure"better players than him are: Wright, Kemell, Nemec and Savoie. I haven't seen much of the other kids like Cooley, Miro, or Yurov, but chances are one of them would edge him out.

Reactions: hellwar9

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
I'd say today the only "sure"better players than him are: Wright, Kemell, Nemec and Savoie. I haven't seen much of the other kids like Cooley, Miro, or Yurov, but chances are one of them would edge him out.
I agree with this. I'm not sure that two Russians are better than him. Slaf is such an intriguing player because of his size and ability. And I think he's having a very good season so far (Obviously, it can be always better). Awesome HGC, Olympics Q, averaging 2 PPG in U20 league, 2pts in last 3 games in Liiga. Hopefully, he can be even more productive because he's creating so many opportunities for himself and teammates.

Reactions: hellwar9

Mato94

Apr 11, 2020
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reactions: Antiillafire

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I remember him saying he is not a fan of switching teams throughout the season, he was quite opposed to it. A lot of things can change tho, but he didn’t like the idea at all.

Here’s the article:

Trio najväčších nádejí začne ročník v Európe
Perhaps not Erie but another Liiga team. Certainly nhl teams will begin asking some questions if he’s only in Finnish U20 league. It’s still early in the season, however. But TPS is playing very well and if he’s only playing sporadically in men’s and in bottom 6 it’s not great for development.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I strongly believe he will be playing in the AHL next season anyways. At least he gets some experience with men this year

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
He was 4th line in Saturday’s game, and than was scratched for today’s game against the worst team in Liiga. I’m not so sure. Looking at past drafts can show exactly the point.
Maybe there was some reason why he didnt play. Injury, some problems. Kemmel also didnt play.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
If it was OHL, WHL, the Q or the Ushl sure. Not in Finnish u20
Sometimes it's just about resetting mentally, getting to enjoy the game, scoring some points, making some plays. It's not a long-term situation, it definitely won't hinder his development. Committing to play in the CHL, on the other hand, would be a very long-term decision that could definitely hinder his development.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sometimes it's just about resetting mentally, getting to enjoy the game, scoring some points, making some plays. It's not a long-term situation, it definitely won't hinder his development. Committing to play in the CHL, on the other hand, would be a very long-term decision that could definitely hinder his development.

While @Antiillafire has a point in relation to his draft stock, it might not be a bad thing for him to have a slower track into the TPS lineup. He’s not going to be playing in the NHL next season. There should be no rush. He’s 2-3 years away from the NHL. Next year he can concentrate on a top 9 spot. This season he’s getting a few games, but it seems unlikely he’ll break into the lineup regularly.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
While @Antiillafire has a point in relation to his draft stock, it might not be a bad thing for him to have a slower track into the TPS lineup. He’s not going to be playing in the NHL next season. There should be no rush. He’s 2-3 years away from the NHL. Next year he can concentrate on a top 9 spot. This season he’s getting a few games, but it seems unlikely he’ll break into the lineup regularly.
I mean it could be a direct hinderance to his development, especially if he becomes isolated to fulfilling specific roles. Furthermore, if his draft stock does continue to fall there is the monetary element that I’m sure his agent is talking to him about. Sure he could stick with TPS and play sporadically and in the bottom 6, but to me this is not the best way for him to develop as a player. To add to this, one of his problems in the past has been getting gassed in the third period because of conditioning. This set up right now would not work to improve that, instead it may work directly against it.
Am I saying he deserves top 6 role in TPS, no, he has not played well enough. But there is zero harm in exploring his options elsewhere. And I’m not even saying OHL, could look other places too. Slovaks in the CHL has been a mixed bag recently. And of course if his WJC isn’t great than…

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
I mean it could be a direct hinderance to his development, especially if he becomes isolated to fulfilling specific roles. Furthermore, if his draft stock does continue to fall there is the monetary element that I’m sure his agent is talking to him about. Sure he could stick with TPS and play sporadically and in the bottom 6, but to me this is not the best way for him to develop as a player. To add to this, one of his problems in the past has been getting gassed in the third period because of conditioning. This set up right now would not work to improve that, instead it may work directly against it.
Am I saying he deserves top 6 role in TPS, no, he has not played well enough. But there is zero harm in exploring his options elsewhere. And I’m not even saying OHL, could look other places too. Slovaks in the CHL has been a mixed bag recently. And of course if his WJC isn’t great than…
First time i heard about something like this. He Played 26 min. today. And i think hes having a good season so far. Look at Yurov, hes even in tougher spot. Miro, Lambert same. A lot of TOP forwards in this draft are struggling little bit. You dont have to panicking. Hes gonna be OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad