F Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS, Finland U20 (2022 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Jaromir Jagr :naughty:

Of course he is not as good, and never will be, but the way he moves and protects the puck, uses his body etc.

He is strong as bull, 17 yo but already 10lbs more than Rantanen.

Yeah, I had the same flash when watching him play, his size, reach, stickhandling, skating and strength reminds me a bit of Jagr as well...

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Yeah, I had the same flash when watching him play, his size, reach, stickhandling, skating and strength reminds me a bit of Jagr as well...
Last year at WJC, he didn’t use his strength and power as much as I hoped. He was only 16. I hope this year he can show it. It would be something if he had a tournament like Puljujarvi did. Although Jesse was a better skater at the same age. I remember him flying up and down the ice plus using size along the boards

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Last year at WJC, he didn’t use his strength and power as much as I hoped. He was only 16. I hope this year he can show it. It would be something if he had a tournament like Puljujarvi did. Although Jesse was a better skater at the same age. I remember him flying up and down the ice plus using size along the boards

Slovakia will be very fun to watch this year.

Reactions: stastny12

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Finally, Juraj! :thumbu: Scored his first Liiga goal and is the best player on the ice today so far.

Seems getting ones scoring confidence up in juniors has a positive effect. Any idea what his icetime has been like?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Like I said during the whole center debacle, the guy just mails it in. No attention to detail whatsoever, it amazes me people think his "scouting" is any different and he legitimately follows players.

Reactions: Ippenator

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Looks like he will be playing on the PK as well, according to pictures and videos from the various social media accounts of the federation.
I am looking to see how he has improved since the HGC. He’s the heaviest player at this tournament and I am hoping he can show his physical presence like he did sporadically at the HGC. He has a few big hits that forced turnovers, one on Salomonsson in the game against Sweden. He should be able to do that this tournament as well. Last year, he could ride shotgun and not have to worry about as tough of matchups. But now coaches will game plan to shut down him, Demek and Mesar. I’m sure they welcome the challenge.

I too wonder if American assistant coach Scott Moser can provide some pointers on adjusting quick to the smaller ice surface for all our European based players. From his little interview he seems to have a prominent role in match preparations.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Is he gonna play centre at the WJC?

Edit nevermind I found my answer. Aside from Button I have not seen no one claiming he can play centre.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I was going to wait until the end of the tournament to post this, but am I the only one who's not a fan? Certainly not a player I would be considering in the top 5.

His best attribute is that 'he's good at being big'. He skates pretty well, has decent offensive skill, but I have major concerns over IQ. I don't see his offense translating very well to the NHL at all. I think he will need to completely reinvent his game a la Val Nichuskin to have a successful career.

I like Nemec and love Dvorksy, but very underwhelmed with Slafkovsky.

Reactions: Zolik37

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was going to wait until the end of the tournament to post this, but am I the only one who's not a fan? Certainly not a player I would be considering in the top 5.

His best attribute is that 'he's good at being big'. He skates pretty well, has decent offensive skill, but I have major concerns over IQ. I don't see his offense translating very well to the NHL at all. I think he will need to completely reinvent his game a la Val Nichuskin to have a successful career.

I’m not a fan either. I don’t even think he skates well. He has good puck skills, but his scoring is too inconsistent for my liking. He’s not good defensively, and I see below-average skating. I think he’s a first rounder, but a late first type.

Reactions: 95snipes

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

I see a lot of Nichuskin too. I loved Nichuskin's profile in his draft year and think he has find his ways in the NHL now. That's a player worth the gamble after 10, but not before IMO.

Reactions: 95snipes

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Slafkovsky is the only one I think I’m demonstrably lower on than most people.
Maybe his game won’t translate to elite level that’s worth a top 10 pick but he was great in these 2 games, to me stood out much more against Sweden than either Holtz or Eklund. The latter of whom was literally silenced by Myklukha and remains to me baffling how Eklund was a top pick.

Mesar to me was terrible, and so was Nemec. Slafkovsky drove play consistently and was dragging along the disappointing Demek when he was put with him. He set up players consistently and made several good plays defensively. I’d argue he, Petrovsky and Kmec were the only 04s that actually played up to expectations.

Would you say the same about Kemell who looked like just a powerplay expert, nothing more

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Maybe his game won’t translate to elite level that’s worth a top 10 pick but he was great in these 2 games, to me stood out much more against Sweden than either Holtz or Eklund. The latter of whom was literally silenced by Myklukha and remains to me baffling how Eklund was a top pick.

Mesar to me was terrible, and so was Nemec. Slafkovsky drove play consistently and was dragging along the disappointing Demek when he was put with him. He set up players consistently and made several good plays defensively. I’d argue he, Petrovsky and Kmec were the only 04s that actually played up to expectations.

Would you say the same about Kemell who looked like just a powerplay expert, nothing more

I wasn’t judging anyone based on a small sample of this tournament, but to answer your question, I think it’s clear that Kemell has struggled since returning from injury and many overrated his start to the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad