F Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS, Finland U20 (2022 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Maybe his game won’t translate to elite level that’s worth a top 10 pick but he was great in these 2 games, to me stood out much more against Sweden than either Holtz or Eklund. The latter of whom was literally silenced by Myklukha and remains to me baffling how Eklund was a top pick.

Mesar to me was terrible, and so was Nemec. Slafkovsky drove play consistently and was dragging along the disappointing Demek when he was put with him. He set up players consistently and made several good plays defensively. I’d argue he, Petrovsky and Kmec were the only 04s that actually played up to expectations.

Would you say the same about Kemell who looked like just a powerplay expert, nothing more
Nemec was best player on the ice vs Sweden. You should rewatch that game. Its on youtube. Overall, our TOP 6 was very good in both games, except Kaslik

Reactions: stastny12

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
I wasn’t judging anyone based on a small sample of this tournament, but to answer your question, I think it’s clear that Kemell has struggled since returning from injury and many overrated his start to the season.
I feel like a lot of top forwards in this draft are not playing that well. Despite scoring some points. I was never big fan of Kemell or Miro. Juts my opinion

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Nemec was best player on the ice vs Sweden. You should rewatch that game. Its on youtube. Overall, our TOP 6 was very good in both games, except Kaslik
Yeah he was good against Sweden. I thought Myklukha was very good in both games, Demek not and Chromiak not either. Kaslik just doesn’t have great stick handling but he’s a responsible forward who is useful.

Reactions: hellwar9

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Maybe his game won’t translate to elite level that’s worth a top 10 pick but he was great in these 2 games, to me stood out much more against Sweden than either Holtz or Eklund. The latter of whom was literally silenced by Myklukha and remains to me baffling how Eklund was a top pick.

Mesar to me was terrible, and so was Nemec. Slafkovsky drove play consistently and was dragging along the disappointing Demek when he was put with him. He set up players consistently and made several good plays defensively. I’d argue he, Petrovsky and Kmec were the only 04s that actually played up to expectations.

Would you say the same about Kemell who looked like just a powerplay expert, nothing more

You are right Nemec looked a bit overwhelmed to me and I didn't really notice Mesar and Slafovsky did stand out, hard not to when you skate that fast and are that size, but I also have concerns on hos his games translates to the NHL and wouldn't take him in the top 15.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Yeah he was good against Sweden. I thought Myklukha was very good in both games, Demek not and Chromiak not either. Kaslik just doesn’t have great stick handling but he’s a responsible forward who is useful.
Yeah, I liked Myklukha too. Some dude was talking sh*t about him here but I thought he did a lot of things right. But like I said we shouldn't judge these players. They played only 2 games, that's nothing. It would be very interesting to see them vs Russia and Switzerland.

Reactions: hellwar9

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
You are right Nemec looked a bit overwhelmed to me and I didn't really notice Mesar and Slafovsky did stand out, hard not to when you skate that fast and are that size, but I also have concerns on hos his games translates to the NHL and wouldn't take him in the top 15.
All three looked much better than Wright, Kemell and Yurov however.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
All three looked much better than Wright, Kemell and Yurov however.

It's not that Wright looked bad, the expectations for him are through the roof, Kemell and Yurov weren't world beaters either but I doubt a couple of games are going to make that big of a difference IMO.

james12

Mar 31, 2018
but I have major concerns over IQ. I don't see his offense translating very well to the NHL

I’m not a fan either. I don’t even think he skates well. He has good puck skills, but his scoring is too inconsistent for my liking. He’s not good defensively, and I see below-average skating. I think he’s a first rounder, but a late first type.

With all respect to y'all guys but those takes and evaluations of yours are simply ridiculous. Having an opinion that is exclusively backed by your visual and subjective judgement is legitimate but yet with no face value. There's been a multiple articles of acummulated data about Slafkovsky's contribution for NT and TPS in Liiga quite lately and he was either on par or above other eligibles you tend to overestimate like Kemell or Lambert in this particular case. For instance: TPS:n Juraj Slafkovský on lupaavin slovakialaishyökkääjä sitten Marián Gáboríkin – "Tehojen suhteen hän on ollut alkukaudella selvästi epäonninen" - EP Rinkside FI

Maybe I'd been witnessing some different WJC or what because I cannot grasp your rationale behind this. Slafkovsky was dominant all over the ice and thus consistent at producing scoring chances. Questioning his hockey sense or defensive abilities is to me an absolute nonsense.

Suffice to say, Slafkovsky is a raw prospect right now with, I agree, inconsistent scoring efficiency, but with one of the highest upside amongst 2022 eligibles.

After all, it's pretty irrelevant whether he ends up in top5 or in 5th round. He's diligent and competitive athlete and will progress enough to have the productivity which will be suffcient to liking of someone who thought that Jan Mysak is top5 prospect for 2020 draft.

Have a nice day.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t know if you are referring to me, although you quoted me, but I did not have Jan Mysak anywhere near top 5 in 2020. I ranked him 31 on my final list.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
With all respect to y'all guys but those takes and evaluations of yours are simply ridiculous. Having an opinion that is exclusively backed by your visual and subjective judgement is legitimate but yet with no face value. There's been a multiple articles of acummulated data about Slafkovsky's contribution for NT and TPS in Liiga quite lately and he was either on par or above other eligibles you tend to overestimate like Kemell or Lambert in this particular case. For instance: TPS:n Juraj Slafkovský on lupaavin slovakialaishyökkääjä sitten Marián Gáboríkin – "Tehojen suhteen hän on ollut alkukaudella selvästi epäonninen" - EP Rinkside FI

Maybe I'd been witnessing some different WJC or what because I cannot grasp your rationale behind this. Slafkovsky was dominant all over the ice and thus consistent at producing scoring chances. Questioning his hockey sense or defensive abilities is to me an absolute nonsense.

Suffice to say, Slafkovsky is a raw prospect right now with, I agree, inconsistent scoring efficiency, but with one of the highest upside amongst 2022 eligibles.

After all, it's pretty irrelevant whether he ends up in top5 or in 5th round. He's diligent and competitive athlete and will progress enough to have the productivity which will be suffcient to liking of someone who thought that Jan Mysak is top5 prospect for 2020 draft.

Have a nice day.

Of course it's subjective. No one knows how this will play out. Players can be better than others at 16, at 18, and by 22 it's completely different. It happens all the time.

Admittedly, my viewings are solely international play, not Liiga, but two World Juniors, a Hlinka Gretzky, and a World Championship are enough to make an opinion. For a player universally ranked top 10, and top 5 on most lists, expectations for me are fairly high. And I come away rather unimpressed and see a player who I believe will struggle to create offense as his size becomes less of an advantage. This is offering another viewpoint from those who do rank him high. I've made no comment on Kemell, though I do find him fairly skilled.

No idea where your Jan Mysak comment is coming from.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
What i see a very negative aspect of his game is his shot. Or very low sniper skills. There were many games in SM-Sarja U20, where he had 10, 11 and even 12 shots (but i dont know if it was Shots On Goal or only Shots attempts) and he didnt scored a single goal. This was also to see on this short tournament and even on Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. This is a area, he has a lot to work on.

For now, he is a player, who creates opportunities for his teammates. Hi can battle in the corners, he can carry the puck very well and you must have 2 players to push him away. Im still a fan of him. Maybe he is behind Nemec, but if Nemec will go as a Nr 3., Slafkovsky can go as a Nr.4 or 5. ;)

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What i see a very negative aspect of his game is his shot. Or very low sniper skills. There were many games in SM-Sarja U20, where he had 10, 11 and even 12 shots (but i dont know if it was Shots On Goal or only Shots attempts) and he didnt scored a single goal. This was also to see on this short tournament and even on Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. This is a area, he has a lot to work on.

For now, he is a player, who creates opportunities for his teammates. Hi can battle in the corners, he can carry the puck very well and you must have 2 players to push him away. Im still a fan of him. Maybe he is behind Nemec, but if Nemec will go as a Nr 3., Slafkovsky can go as a Nr.4 or 5. ;)

True. He had 11 shots on net in one Liiga game, and he scored his only goal that game. Not a great shooter.

But seeing him briefly against his age group has made me warm up to him. At some point in the draft, you just have to take him for his tools and hope for the best.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
Slafkovsky is the only one I think I’m demonstrably lower on than most people.

Really? I remember I saw one ranking from you where you hadn´t Nemec even in the 1st round then you probably re-evaluate your opinion if I remember correctly. Now you´re doing some mistake with Slafkovsky who was best Slovakian player in terms of skill, possesion and creativity. I wonder you don´t see his potential. It´s all about if he´s able to improve his scoring ability which isn´t good. Time will tell.

Imo he is a good skater. And has a good chance to end as a one of the best players from 2022 draft.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Really? I remember I saw one ranking from you where you hadn´t Nemec even in the 1st round then you probably re-evaluate your opinion if I remember correctly. Now you´re doing some mistake with Slafkovsky who was best Slovakian player in terms of skill, possesion and creativity. I wonder you don´t see his potential. It´s all about if he´s able to improve his scoring ability which isn´t good. Time will tell.

Imo he is a good skater. And has a good chance to end as a one of the best players from 2022 draft.
His potential was obvious in the two games I've watched at the WJC. Moves incredibly well for a 17 year old his size with terrific puck skills and a good motor. Most impressive raw ability that I've seen in this draft. He has massive upside.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
His potential was obvious in the two games I've watched at the WJC. Moves incredibly well for a 17 year old his size with terrific puck skills and a good motor. Most impressive raw ability that I've seen in this draft. He has massive upside.
His upside is tremendous, but I also think he has a higher bust probability. I see a lot of Puljujarvi in his game, but a bit smoother with the puck ala Laine.

The very definition of a high risk/reward prospect. Could very easily see him as a PPG power forward or fringe NHLer.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His upside is tremendous, but I also think he has a higher bust probability. I see a lot of Puljujarvi in his game, but a bit smoother with the puck ala Laine.

The very definition of a high risk/reward prospect. Could very easily see him as a PPG power forward or fringe NHLer.
Neither Puljujarvi or Laine busted weird comparisons. His lateral movement and puck control is better than Puljujarvi at the same age that was clear. Not sure about his instincts and scoring ability I haven't watched him enough yet to know either way.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Neither Puljujarvi or Laine busted weird comparisons.
I don't expect him to bust, but I think his game is raw in that sense where if his development stalls he will struggle.

His lateral movement and puck control is better than Puljujarvi at the same age that was clear. Not sure about his instincts and scoring ability I haven't watched him enough yet to know either way.
That's why I said he is smoother with the puck than JP, more like Laine was.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

Hmm, I don't really see this comp. For me Pulju had terrific speed/quickness/athleticism for his size, that is/was his best asset, but especially as a prospect he had more questionable hands and hockey IQ. For Slafkovsky I see kind of the opposite - his speed and quickness isn't great, rarely see him creating separation with his skating like Pulju consistently did, but he's got considerably better hands and hockey IQ. They're both big guys with good puck protection, but otherwise I see them as pretty different.

He reminds me of smaller, more nimble Nik Antropov. I have trouble imagining him being a legit star player like say Rantanen. Other than size he's a bit of a jack of all trades (above average at many things, like hockey IQ, hands and puck protection), but there's nowhere that he really stands out as elite. Also has some weaknesses - mainly speed/quickness/athleticism, and he's not very physical/aggressive for his size (protects the puck well, but not a big hitter). I do think he's likely to be a solid NHLer, he's big, smart and fairly skilled, but I think not too likely to be a star. I'd put him somewhere in the 15-20 range - I think he's low risk, but the chance of high reward seems relatively small.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonedvinsson

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
so is he really a risky player since the one world junior game i had the pleasure to watch was the USA/Slovakia one and he at least made himself known. But is that production at TPS concerning or should be still be viewed as someone with good potential as a top 6 LW option?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
so is he really a risky player since the one world junior game i had the pleasure to watch was the USA/Slovakia one and he at least made himself known. But is that production at TPS concerning or should be still be viewed as someone with good potential as a top 6 LW option?

Very good potential, maybe even top line potential, but he's got some stuff to figure out.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Very good potential, maybe even top line potential, but he's got some stuff to figure out.
He is 17 and raw his development curve won't be a short one. I think many HF posters that are unfamiliar with the concept that big players take a while will jump at the opportunity to call him a bust. Then they'll be no where to be found if he develops like expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad