F Joakim Kemell - JYP, FIN JRS (2022, 17th, NSH)

Luigi#17

May 25, 2006
Pardubice
View attachment 645934
Kemell has been outscored by Hämeenaho (2023 draft) and Nyman (2022 second round).
And by Huuhtanen (2021) who's on deadly hot streak by a country mile. Still think it's just a matter of coach Rautakorpi's misuse and, more importantly, coach's mistrust. Remember how Kemell tore up the Liiga as a rookie as a 17yo back in autumn 2021? It's all about confidence and patience with these kids. Also don't agree he lacks hockey IQ as I read here, his 8 assists in summer WJC is what? Coincidence only?
But... No doubt his main weapon is his world class shot. Nyman or Huuhtanen, neither of them bad snipers surely, don't own that. Just for smile, Button pissed of pleasure while commenting on it.
Btw., Jukurit, what do you think of Hämeenaho? Interesting player.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Well, after that goal he shouldn't have any confidence issues for few weeks.. (and obviously scored another already later that game)

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
In Liiga games I've watched this season I haven't been impressed by Kemell at all. Invisible most of the time and when he does attempt to make a play it fails most of the time and he just turns it over. Actually kinda reminds me of watching Brad Lambert play in Liiga.

People can blame his linemates, icetime or Rautakorpi all they want but I think main problem is that Kemell himself just isn't playing good.

Maybe his playstyle is better suited for smaller ice? He was good in World Juniors on small ice. Probably should go play in AHL as soon as he can.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Kemell looks like a shadow of his former self. I watched a game of his live and he was totally invisible. Only thing that stood out was that he shot the puck hard but I think he missed the net on literally all of his shot attempts.

It's very alarming how bad he has been playing this season.

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
Kemell looks like a shadow of his former self. I watched a game of his live and he was totally invisible. Only thing that stood out was that he shot the puck hard but I think he missed the net on literally all of his shot attempts.

He’s probably playing uninspired hockey. He needs to come to North America as soon as he can. That should spark him right up. Preds fans aren’t worried at all. We have plenty of great wingers in the system to allow him to develop

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth

Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 3.02.15 PM.png

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
He’s probably playing uninspired hockey. He needs to come to North America as soon as he can. That should spark him right up. Preds fans aren’t worried at all. We have plenty of great wingers in the system to allow him to develop
I'm sure Preds fans would be worried if they actually watched him play, but clearly they aren't. lol

person5000

Oct 21, 2022
I'm sure Preds fans would be worried if they actually watched him play, but clearly they aren't. lol
Worry about what? Guy that won’t be nhl ready for 3-4 yrs not being ready at 18? Seems pointless to worry.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Worry about what? Guy that won’t be nhl ready for 3-4 yrs not being ready at 18? Seems pointless to worry.
He's having a bad D+1 year. Uninspiring play. Looks like a useless player most of the time. Seems like a reason to be worried, but what do I know.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He's having a bad D+1 year. Uninspiring play. Looks like a useless player most of the time. Seems like a reason to be worried, but what do I know.
You seem a bit obsessed.

I hope that when you use language like "Worried", that doesn't mean you're actually spending time to worry about some random 18 yo hockey player.

• Haha
Reactions: LaMasquerade

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
You seem a bit obsessed.

I hope that when you use language like "Worried", that doesn't mean you're actually spending time to worry about some random 18 yo hockey player.
"Random hockey player"? He's a first round draft pick. That's random to you?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
"Random hockey player"? He's a first round draft pick. That's random to you?
Boy you really don't have a lot of patience for teenage hockey players that play in men's leagues. You were similarly emo about Brad Lambert and now he's lighting up the WHL.

I'd withhold your concerns until he fails to progress in North America.

hyd3nSeek

Dec 27, 2020
Finland
I'm not too worried about him. It's was tough season for JYP in general. Lineup was very unbalanced and I think Kemell's play was affected by it. Center and defense depth were questionable and wingers were bit of a mixed bag too. There was clear difficulty of finding 4 or even 3 working line combinations.

There was also 2 other right shot snipers with Puustinen and Gardiner and Rautakorpi clearly favored the more experienced ones. One reason for that was Rautakorpi really didn't have incentive use him more over those two as he already had NHL contract. Also Gardiner might win the goal scoring title who seemed like the odd man out at first.

Assistant coach Ville Nieminen had some sort of vision for Kemell to become power forward and that also shows how he was used at times. So he really wasn't in the situation to succeed the way some expected. Feel like Nieminen's idea of creating a stereotypical Preds player of him wasn't the ideal.

I feel like the players that went to both WJC tournaments didn't really benefit from them especially the first one. That was still during the training/exhibiton season. I'm quite sure that Rautakorpi and Nieminen are fans of heavy summer training so there's that. His injury probably didn't too anything good either.

So all in all some of these factors explain why his season went how it went. Some of it is of course on him. The shooting ability is stil there and I think he always was a player that needed few years of development in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad