F Joakim Kemell - JYP, FIN JRS (2022, 17th, NSH)

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Yes, Liiga is pretty much full of very defensive minded concervative coaches who easily favor veteran players. In fact the only really good coaches with developing young players and having some more active and fresh hockey style are Tommi Niemelä for Pelicans, Tommi Miettinen for KalPa and maybe Ville Peltonen for HIFK and Karri Kivi for Ässät. Niemelä is in fact taking his team right now to the Liiga finals and he is an excellent motivator and coach for young talents, although even he couldn’t get anything out of Brad Lambert last year. But Lambert is a bit problematic player in general, and not even close to as talented player as he was hyped for a couple years ago. Kemell on the other hand is a really talented player in my opinion, but was completely misused this season and in the doghouse of the worst coach in Liiga for coaching young talents, which was Rautakorpi.
You forgot Olli Jokinen for Jukurit.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Really excited to see how he has turned his season around. One of my favorite players going into last draft. You can't hate these guys with a knack for goal scoring! I love how ready primed was for the cross-ice pass from Leonard. He looks like he could be a powerplay fixture for a long time.

Seems like a pattern where some young players are not properly utilized in the Finnish League quite often. Do they have many coaches who are biased towards veterans? I heard Rautakorpi does not tend to deploy young players properly at all, and has a large focus on defense and physicality.
Yeah, it's a league where the teams really want to win the championship and that's their main goal. Not that nobody wants to win the championship in the AHL, but it's still more of a developmental league. There are exceptions of course, like Aho, Lundell, Heiskanen etc, but unless you play a strong two way game, you better have a damn strong start for the season.

It can be annoying as an NHL fan when you'd just want to see these kids get all the opportunities, but it's understandable from the coaches point of view.

Reactions: JohnLennon

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
You forgot Olli Jokinen for Jukurit.
Jukurit seeing Kemmel go point per game in AHL after dragging him all yr

5DD2CFCE-A3B0-4F92-971A-0532A661E34A.jpeg

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, it's a league where the teams really want to win the championship and that's their main goal. Not that nobody wants to win the championship in the AHL, but it's still more of a developmental league. There are exceptions of course, like Aho, Lundell, Heiskanen etc, but unless you play a strong two way game, you better have a damn strong start for the season.

It can be annoying as an NHL fan when you'd just want to see these kids get all the opportunities, but it's understandable from the coaches point of view.
I think that this "they're trying to win" excuse is a bit tired. The issue is more that in Liiga right now, the brand of hockey being played is so dry and boring that it's the worst kind of dead puck era hockey imaginable. Interference is also so widely accepted that it neuters skill-based players completely ineffective.

While NHL wants to increase the amount of scoring in its games, for some reason Liiga seems to aim for an average of 4 goals per game along with an extremely dry and boring play style which has no room for individual skill.

Reactions: BerthMania

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I think that this "they're trying to win" excuse is a bit tired.
It's not an excuse. The coach is trying to win and he's executing his plan which he thinks is the best way to win. In this case the coaches plan favors a grinding two way low-risk playstyle, so a player like Kemell will quickly get the boot if he doesn't succeed, because he doesn't fit the plan to begin with.

As mentioned before, all coaches aren't like this. Luckily.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
It's not an excuse. The coach is trying to win and he's executing his plan which he thinks is the best way to win. In this case the coaches plan favors a grinding two way low-risk playstyle, so a player like Kemell will quickly get the boot if he doesn't succeed, because he doesn't fit the plan to begin with.

As mentioned before, all coaches aren't like this. Luckily.

Look at the team Jyp had last season, Rautakorpi must be pretty stupid if he thinks he can win playing grinding two way hockey when your best players are one way scoring wingers like Turkulainen, Gardiner, Puustinen and Kemell. What a failure last season was for Jyp.

Reactions: Ippenator

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Look at the team Jyp had last season, Rautakorpi must be pretty stupid if he thinks he can win playing grinding two way hockey when your best players are one way scoring wingers like Turkulainen, Gardiner, Puustinen and Kemell. What a failure last season was for Jyp.
Turkulainen one-way scoring winger? What? He's a very good two-way player.

BuffLumber

Apr 13, 2019
Thank you for posting the video of the hit I was looking everywhere for it. @Jukurit not a great decision.

Still stoked for this kid.

Nov 9, 2022
How's he looking since coming over? On paper seems like he's fitting in great. Chance to crack the big club next season?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
A point per game in AHL is actually a pretty big deal. It's quite surprising, too, since he only scored around 1/3 points per game in Finland.

Perhaps his game's more suited for North American hockey, or there's something wrong with JYP. This is quite unusual for a player moving from Liiga moving to AHL within the same season. In fact, I cannot come up with a single comparable.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
A point per game in AHL is actually a pretty big deal. It's quite surprising, too, since he only scored around 1/3 points per game in Finland.

Perhaps his game's more suited for North American hockey, or there's something wrong with JYP. This is quite unusual for a player moving from Liiga moving to AHL within the same season. In fact, I cannot come up with a single comparable.

Not getting burried in bottom 6 with players who can't do anything with the puck probably helped...

Reactions: Scoresberg

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

I definitely think the AHL is a good option for a lot of prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad