F Joakim Kemell - JYP, FIN JRS (2022, 17th, NSH)

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
When you see Kemell and Kulich having success in the AHL playoffs...Lane Hutson and Cutter Gauthier playing well at the Worlds.. then you see Shane Wright scratched... Be interesting to see how they develop.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Watching bits and pieces of him in Milwaukee and he seems to have a pretty well rounded game. Good hands and some snarl. Was kindof getting down on him while he was overseas. Maybe Milwaukee just plays a style that fits him better.
It is already looking like he could play in the NHL next season. Preds don't NEED him to, so he won't. Not out of the gate, anyway. But this has been a nice turnaround with him coming over and going on the run in the AHL.
:thumbu:

Reactions: Jukurit

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Watching bits and pieces of him in Milwaukee and he seems to have a pretty well rounded game. Good hands and some snarl. Was kindof getting down on him while he was overseas. Maybe Milwaukee just plays a style that fits him better.
How physical is Kemell playing?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
How physical is Kemell playing?
I am not watching games, merely regurgitating the "sense I get" from others reporting (who might not post here). So take appropriate grains of salt.

The sense I get is that he is playing "fearless". This could actually be a bit of a problem, since he is small. We had this with Arvidsson. He knew no fear. And got killed because of it. Kemell has some of that. He will go anywhere and take any punishment. He got that suspension too. He is possibly playing "too physical"... to survive in the NHL? But I guess you'd rather see that than not see it? :dunno:

Reactions: Jukurit

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
It is already looking like he could play in the NHL next season. Preds don't NEED him to, so he won't. Not out of the gate, anyway. But this has been a nice turnaround with him coming over and going on the run in the AHL.
:thumbu:

For his offense it's probably better for him to stay down instead of risking ending up on the bottom 6.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Kemell is a decent/good prospect, but i dunno.. im starting to question 22-23 AHL season level of compete, like for real.

Soooooo many "young guns" putting really good numbers this season. - some have proven themselves in the NHL already
like Evangelista but still..

19 year old rookie forward : 6 goals, 13 points in 14 games, then 8 goals, 10 points in 12 play-offs games..

That's 14 goals, 23 points in 26 games, after scoring 12 goals, 15 points in 43 games.
Yeah, sure, Sm-Liiga is obviously the better league of the two and he is getting bigger minutes/role what in here but still.

Or maybe, his game fits more to the smaller ice, like in Lambert's case.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Aug 21, 2016
Kemell is a decent/good prospect, but i dunno.. im starting to question 22-23 AHL season level of compete, like for real.

Soooooo many "young guns" putting really good numbers this season. - some have proven themselves in the NHL already

19 year old rookie forward : 6 goals, 13 points in 14 games, then 8 goals, 10 points in 12 play-offs games..

That's 14 goals, 23 points in 26 games, after scoring 12 goals, 15 points in 43 games.
Yeah, sure, Sm-Liiga is obviously the better league of the two and he is getting bigger minutes/role what in here but still.

Liiga is a low scoring league with good athletes that can skate fast, but limited talent level, they also play some kind of weird trap systems, this is not a developmental league for kids to blossom. AHL is a developmental league and kids are put in good positions to perform. Also, Kemell's game was more suited for NA hockey, the game is played differently over here and more offense oriented.

And Kemell is a great prospect, I had him ranked 3rd OV on my final list Pure sniper with underrated playmaking. He is also ultra competitive, combative with a high motor.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
More than half the Milwaukee team played games in the NHL this season with the Preds (Tomasino, Evangelista, Sherwood, Jankowski, McCarron, Gross, Sanford, Gravel, Stastney, Leonard, Afanaseyev), some played significant games and top-6 roles down the stretch and are clearly NHL players moving forward. Probably 4 or 5 will be full-time in the NHL next season. Seattle didn't run into the same injury trouble as Nashville, but otherwise the Coachella Valley team is possibly even more loaded. Whatever level one wants to peg the AHL in general at, these are both very high end AHL teams, and Kemell has more than held his own.

Sadly, he got injured in a scrum at the end of last night's game, however, so his season might be over a little prematurely. :(

Jukurit

May 16, 2022

Ville Koivunen scored 28 points in 52 games in Liiga this season and looked a lot better than Kemell did in Liiga. Then he scored only 1 point in 12 games in AHL.

Some euro players play better on small ice and some don't.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Kemell is doing a lot of things right, but to me it's been as simple as letting him play where he plays best. I've watched all the playoff series games and he's a terror from the dot on the power play. I think the confidence the PP has given him has started bleeding over into his 5v5 play. His shot is ready now. He'd be an asset for our current PP team without a doubt.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

The AHL level is fine, this is the same excuse you made for the WHL on another post about Zellweger. Both leagues are fine at developing talent. It’s a developmental pro league, Liiga in Finland is not.

Last edited:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Liiga is a low scoring league with good athletes that can skate fast, but limited talent level, they also play some kind of weird trap systems, this is not a developmental league for kids to blossom. AHL is a developmental league and kids are put in good positions to perform. Also, Kemell's game was more suited for NA hockey, the game is played differently over here and more offense oriented.

And Kemell is a great prospect, I had him ranked 3rd OV on my final list Pure sniper with underrated playmaking. He is also ultra competitive, combative with a high motor.

I'm a big believer in the AHL being better than Liiga for post-draft prospect development, especially if you're like Kemell and need to develop on your strengths. Liiga is great for jack of all trades types but tends to stifle offensive development.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Just stats watching (for AHL playoffs I have absolutelu no other access to games) it looks like Kemell is doing fine. Which means that his game seems to transition well into NA. Personally I was never in doubt and I don't understand some comments here saying he was playing bad in Liiga either..

But Nashville guys, how do you see his chances getting a spot in Preds next season?! To me he is much better prospect than Parssinen, and I've loved everything Parssinen has done..

Reactions: Ippenator

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Just stats watching (for AHL playoffs I have absolutelu no other access to games) it looks like Kemell is doing fine. Which means that his game seems to transition well into NA. Personally I was never in doubt and I don't understand some comments here saying he was playing bad in Liiga either..

But Nashville guys, how do you see his chances getting a spot in Preds next season?! To me he is much better prospect than Parssinen, and I've loved everything Parssinen has done..

He might need some seasoning, but with a new GM and a new coach out philosophy on prospects is unknown. He's certainly got a great shot.

Reactions: GordieHowYaDoin
Nov 9, 2022
He might need some seasoning, but with a new GM and a new coach out philosophy on prospects is unknown. He's certainly got a great shot.
Poile stepping down was a much needed change for the Preds as he seemed slighty out of touch in today's game. Reminded me of the later years of Holland in Detroit - holding on to an glimer of hope for playoff berth with a team not equipped to go all the way. Really excited to see what Trotz does for the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad