F Joakim Kemell - JYP, FIN JRS (2022, 17th, NSH)

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Absolutely no surprise to anyone who knows what's up. He's still a good one. He could score zero goals for the rest of the season and I'd still consider him a blue chip prospect. Hope to see him in the AHL next year.
Can you explain to me what's up.

Fintastic

Jul 10, 2022
Why is he centered by Vidgren? He had zero assists last season in 50(!) games and has no assists so far this season.
Vidgren is a winger who knows how to score goals by rushing the net. He is not a center and yet he plays at the position because reasons. Actually, I don't know why the coaching staff wants to play him as a center. I know he works hard every shift and he is solid defensily. Maybe that is the reason. JYP has a surplus of wingers but centers we have too few in my opinion.

It is all about balance though. Every line should be able to attack with the puck and be good without the puck. As wingers go, we have one of the best wingers of the entire league (Turkulainen) and experienced wingers such as Rooba, Puustinen and Gardiner. Puustinen is a similar type like Kemell but a little more versatile as of now. Gardiner is an excellent two way winger who almost won the best goal scorer award last season (23 goals in 60 games, the winner had 26 goals).

I would love to see Kemell switch places with Puustinen at least for few games to see how that would go. Turkulainen and Puustinen play well together but I am interested to see how well Kemell could play with Turkulainen. As I said, Turkulainen is one of the best wingers in the league right now and by far our best player by know. His skating looks so smooth and he is fast and to top it all, he has great hockey IQ.

Fintastic

Jul 10, 2022
@Fintastic How's Kemell been playing so far this season?
Well... He has been good. Not great though. He plays as a right winger 5 on 5 but in PP, he plays the in the left side. He definetly needs a playmaker and right now he hasn't got one. JYP is looking for a center in the transfer market but so far hasn't got their man.

Defensively, he has played quite ok. Sometimes he still loses his man which can cause problems.

The thing is, he almost always tries to shoot in the near post and while his shit is fairly accurate and very fast, goalies know this by now and can anticipate it which makes it harder from him to score. The play JYP uses is to try to get the puck to him usually from the blue line as also easily scouted by opposong teams so we are already seeing them trying to counter that play. I expect to see more variation from JYP PP.

Luigi#17

May 25, 2006
Pardubice
I've watched few of the recent JYP matches because of Kemell and it seemed to me like the team has no structure, no game plan. More surprising when you realize that coach Rautakorpi recently celebrated his 900th game behind bench in the Liiga, if I'm not mistaken. My eyes simply hurt while looking at the produced hockey. Kemell was drowned in that like any other player; sometimes he tried something dirty 1 on 1, but there wasn't space to advance, the linemates weren't helping each other. He also hit some iron in previous matches, could have had more goals. I confess I don't understand the usage of a player of that calibre (like if Rautakorpi had better natural finishers).

Reactions: Ippenator

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I'm starting to think that Kemell's insane start to his draft year was a "fluke". He's still a good young player, but that insane start set the expectations too high. Back then I thought for sure he was a future NHL star, but not anymore.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I'm starting to think that Kemell's insane start to his draft year was a "fluke". He's still a good young player, but that insane start set the expectations too high. Back then I thought for sure he was a future NHL star, but not anymore.

I can see why both he and Lekkerimaki fell. Neither are having that good of a start to the season (Although tbf both havne't been bad either).

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I've watched few of the recent JYP matches because of Kemell and it seemed to me like the team has no structure, no game plan. More surprising when you realize that coach Rautakorpi recently celebrated his 900th game behind bench in the Liiga, if I'm not mistaken. My eyes simply hurt while looking at the produced hockey. Kemell was drowned in that like any other player; sometimes he tried something dirty 1 on 1, but there wasn't space to advance, the linemates weren't helping each other. He also hit some iron in previous matches, could have had more goals. I confess I don't understand the usage of a player of that calibre (like if Rautakorpi had better natural finishers).

Playing with Vidgren and Salonen doesn't really help.

Should've went and played in AHL this year like Lambert.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Watching JYP-Jukurit game, and Kemell played just OK, I think. Shot is really hard, but accuracy still seems to be an issue. The goal he scored, shot was going way wide, but it hit Jukurit player's leg and bounced into goal. Did seem like Kemell struggles creating offense 5on5. I don't think he can drive his own offense right now at Liiga level 5on5, so playing with better linemates would most likely help his production.

Fintastic

Jul 10, 2022
There is plenty of structure but it is mainly defence first. They start offence only after they are sure that if they lose the puck, they have men in back so that the opposing team has no easy scoring chances.

About Kemell, he is not a playmaker but a scorer and his play suffers now because he doesn't have a playmaker who sets up a chance for him. So he has to try to make up a scoring chance himself. He shoots a lot and right now he is also missing a lot of his shots. The goal he scored yesterday was a botched shot but he got lucky with a deflection of the opposing team player. He also seems frustrated with himself which is of course showing in his play. At the end of last game he got Lassila as his center and we have to see how the coaching staff sets up his line on tuesday. Will he get paired by Lassila or someone else?

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Luigi#17

May 25, 2006
Pardubice
There is plenty of structure but it is mainly defence first. They start offence only after they are sure that if they lose the puck, they have men in back so that the opposing team has no easy scoring chances.

About Kemell, he is not a playmaker but a scorer and his play suffers now because he doesn't have a playmaker who sets up a chance for him. So he has to try to make up a scoring chance himself. He shoots a lot and right now he is also missing a lot of his shots. The goal he scored yesterday was a botched shot but he got lucky with a deflection of the opposing team player. He also seems frustrated with himself which is of course showing in his play. At the end of last game he got Lassila as his center and we have to see how the coaching staff sets up his line on tuesday. Will he get paired by Lassila or someone else?
No offence, they just seemed kind of lost to me while on puck and attacking. Is their play entertaining to you?
As for the goal, I saw that, total garbage. I wish to you Kemell gets his center cause I think whole team should benefit from that.

Last edited:

Luigi#17

May 25, 2006
Pardubice
Definitely it was a fluke. But IMO he still can/and will be a star.

Fintastic

Jul 10, 2022
No offence, they just seemed kind of lost to me while on puck and attacking. It their play entertaining to you?
As for the goal, I saw that, total garbage. I wish to you Kemell gets his center cause I think whole team should benefit from that.
Sometimes it is entertaining, sometimes it is not.

But yeah, I wish JYP will get their center.

Fintastic

Jul 10, 2022
I think there were many loans in Liiga last year - e. g. Räty went from Kärpät to Jukurit. Isn't it a possible way to unchain Kemell?
No it is not possible. There are few reasons why. First, in Liiga the player has final say on this. If he doesn't want to go and play somewhere else then he says.

Second, JYP does need him even though right now he isn't the best version of himself, he does have a lot goal scorong potential that JYP needs.

Third, Kemell is still in school and he has said multiple times in the media that he wants to finish school before he leaves anywhere. There is also a mandatory military service in Finland so he might want to get that out of the way before he leaves but he has not said anything about that. It would be wise of he does that too before he leaves because it won't bother his training later on. It is only six months mininum and maximum a year. Conveniently one military base is in Tikkakoski, a mere 27 kilometres (17 miles) away from home ice and players get training leave quite easily

Luigi#17

May 25, 2006
Pardubice
No it is not possible. There are few reasons why. First, in Liiga the player has final say on this. If he doesn't want to go and play somewhere else then he says.

Second, JYP does need him even though right now he isn't the best version of himself, he does have a lot goal scorong potential that JYP needs.

Third, Kemell is still in school and he has said multiple times in the media that he wants to finish school before he leaves anywhere. There is also a mandatory military service in Finland so he might want to get that out of the way before he leaves but he has not said anything about that. It would be wise of he does that too before he leaves because it won't bother his training later on. It is only six months mininum and maximum a year. Conveniently one military base is in Tikkakoski, a mere 27 kilometres (17 miles) away from home ice and players get training leave quite easily
OK. Thanks for an in-depth explanation, I appreciate that. :thumbu:

Reactions: Fintastic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad