F Joakim Kemell - JYP, FIN JRS (2022, 17th, NSH)

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
25 goals and “good scorer” but not top six? How many third liners scored 25 goals last year?
Read what i said, "good scorer but lacks in all other departments to be a GOOD top 6". Tolvanen for instance was a top 6 in Nashville but sure wasn't a good one, i don't see much difference in Kemell from Tolvanen except for physicality tbh.

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
Read what i said, "good scorer but lacks in all other departments to be a GOOD top 6". Tolvanen for instance was a top 6 in Nashville but sure wasn't a good one, i don't see much difference in Kemell from Tolvanen except for physicality tbh.
Tolvanen threw his body around a bunch in the KHL, and had over 170 hits last season. Are you sure you’ve watched enough both players to make such comparison?

Reactions: ponder and QJL

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Tolvanen for instance was a top 6 in Nashville but sure wasn't a good one, i don't see much difference in Kemell from Tolvanen except for physicality tbh.
Huh? Nashville immediately sent Tolvanen to the AHL where he became a two-way player over several years, and has fulfilled that role ever since with little ice time. It's also difficult to understand your comments about physicality when Tolvanen is one of the more physical players in the league.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Huh? Nashville immediately sent Tolvanen to the AHL where he became a two-way player over several years, and has fulfilled that role ever since with little ice time. It's also difficult to understand your comments about physicality when Tolvanen is one of the more physical players in the league.
I knew he liked to throw hits but not that much, so they are even more similar than i expected, i admit i haven't watched too many Nashville games, but overall Kemell remids me of Tolvanen, and i still think Kemell might become a top 6 but i don't see him to ever become that good as his vision/playmaking is rather below average, top 6 minutes and special teams he might crack 30 goals one day, there is a reason he dropped so much and no it's not just the shoulder injury like some copers here are saying, he just never stood out in other forms of consistency other than having a good hot streak at the beginning of the season.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

So a “good scorer” isn’t a “good top six”?

“Good” means better than average, right?

There were 82 players who scored 25+ goals last year. Only four — Hagel, DeBrusk, Lee, and Kempe — had under 20 assists and none had less than 17.

DeBrusk and Hagel are 24-25 years old and blocked by multiple future HHOF’ers so they still have at least 3-5 prime years to hit 30 goals and get top-line minutes. Kempe scored 30+ goals and was a top-liner on a playoff team. Lee had 30 and 40 goal seasons and was a top-liner on a conference finalist. All four played on a first or second line last season.

According to you, 25-10-35 is the best case scenario for Kemell. But it’s unrealistic production for a top-six forward. If Kemell scores 25 goals, he’s going to hit closer to 45 points, just like Hagel, Lee, Kempe, and DeBrusk.

Hagel was traded for two 1st-round picks, and it was Tampa Bay who wanted him.

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
This should be a good thread to come back to in a few years. And all the shade being thrown towards tolvanen is hilarious, he hasn't even finished developing and people are talking about him like he is retired and have an entire NHL career to compare him with Kemmel. When/if tolvanen finds his offense he is going to be very good.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Looked rather invicible today on a line that was dominant, and hitting the net was not on the menu.

Reactions: bsu

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Looked rather invicible today on a line that was dominant, and hitting the net was not on the menu.
Damn you hate him. Unbelievable really. He had in fact a pretty good game. Did very good passing mostly and got a couple of good assists. The only thing that was off for him was his shot accuracy. But damn are you blinded by hate when you look at him play. It’s honestly getting very embarrassing for you. Because of this you have lost all credibility as a poster here.

And btw, invisible is written with an s, not a c…

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Damn you hate him. Unbelievable really. He had in fact a pretty good game. Did very good passing mostly and got a couple of good assists. The only thing that was off for him was his shot accuracy. But damn are you blinded by hate when you look at him play. It’s honestly getting very embarrassing for you. Because of this you have lost all credibility as a poster here.

I literally have no reason to hate him lmao, he did look rather invicible on that line, yeah a few assists and a few good passes but overall he wasn't so good, on a line like that a player like him should be able to stand out much more. I want him to succeed, but he's just not passing the eye test fot me at all i'm sorry. People can have different opinions, maybe accept that instead of coping so hard that you feel the need to get so angry at me.

Reactions: MarVell

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I literally have no reason to hate him lmao, he did look rather invicible on that line, yeah a few assists and a few good passes but overall he wasn't so good, on a line like that a player like him should be able to stand out much more. I want him to succeed, but he's just not passing the eye test fot me at all i'm sorry. People can have different opinions, maybe accept that instead of coping so hard that you feel the need to get so angry at me.
Sure, that can be you opinion, but sometimes an opinion can still be absolutely wrong. Just like someone still having the opinion that invisible should be written as invicible...

Reactions: QJL

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Sure, that can be you opinion, but sometimes an opinion can still be absolutely wrong. Just like someone still having the opinion that invisible should be written as invicible...

You attacking my spelling as a non native English speaker tell me enough. Who are you to say my opinion is wrong? I'm not the only one questioning his overall game, it's been rather shit lately to be completely honest, yeah he has assists but he's the definition of a passenger on that line as is.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
You attacking my spelling as a non native English speaker tell me enough. Who are you to say my opinion is wrong? I'm not the only one questioning his overall game, it's been rather shit lately to be completely honest, yeah he has assists but he's the definition of a passenger on that line as is.
I’m just calling out your opinion for being complete crap. Don’t get so upset. Just get smarter opinions if you are going to be constantly so loud about a player who is right now 3rd in the U20 WJC tournament’s scoring, while still being a double underager in the tournament. 2+5=7 in just 3 games really isn’t too shabby…

Last edited:
Reactions: AintLifeGrand

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I’m just calling out your opinion for being complete crap. Don’t get so upset. Just get smarter opinions if you are going to be constantly so loud about a player who is right now 3rd in the U20 WJC tournament while still being a double underager in the tournament. 2+5=7 in just 3 games really isn’t too shabby…
Clearly i'm the one who's mad here:D yeah good stats on paper, like a passenger usually can have.

Reactions: MarVell

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Definately not invisible but to me he has been the least impressive player from his line. I feel like Hirvonen and Räty have been more involved in the game whereas Kemell not so much.

But you can definately see he can make good decisions with the puck pretty much everytime he gets it. He is going to be a good player.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Definately not invisible but to me he has been the least impressive player from his line. I feel like Hirvonen and Räty have been more involved in the game whereas Kemell not so much.

But you can definately see he can make good decisions with the puck pretty much everytime he gets it. He is going to be a good player.
I can for sure agree with this to a point. I mean he has been still a notch under the level of Räty and Hirvonen on that line. But a passenger? Hell no! He has been mostly making good decisions and has had good effort also. His shot has been way off unfortunately, and that is a pity, as his role is still to be mostly a sniper. But for sure even when he is not hitting the net, he is considerably helping his team and his linemates.

Oh, and btw, Räty and Hirvonen are both two years older than him, so they should be better than him. But when they were his age, they were at least a notch under his level.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022

Yes. Hirvonen and Räty are clearly the ones driving play on that line. You could play just about anyone with them and they would do good.

Also, Kemell misses the net way too often.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki

He will be a good player for sure, but a good middle 6 is where i'd put my money at.

Oh, and btw, Räty and Hirvonen are both two years older than him, so they should be better than him. But when they were his age, they were at least a notch under his level.
Only good argument you have come with thus far, other than that he has indeed been a passenger in my books, he did make a few good passes, but also alot of plays killing possession, including giveaways, forcing plays, trying to force through defenders along boards getting pinned.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Well Räty and Hirvonen are both 2002 and Kemell is 2004 so the expectations need to be reasonable. Kemell is still an u18 player playing in u20s and that never is easy. Since 15-16 season, the highest-scoring u18 player was Nico Hischier who had 7, which Kemell already ties.

And yes, Bedard is an u17 player scoring similarly but he's in a different category as a player.

Reactions: ponder

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
*invisible

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Well Räty and Hirvonen are both 2002 and Kemell is 2004 so the expectations need to be reasonable. Kemell is still an u18 player playing in u20s and that never is easy. Since 15-16 season, the highest-scoring u18 player was Nico Hischier who had 7, which Kemell already ties.

And yes, Bedard is an u17 player scoring similarly but he's in a different category as a player.
Agreed, Kemell is having a very good tourney so far for an 18 year old, Bedard is a complete outlier with how well he's doing at such a young age. Yeah, Raty and Hirvonen have been better than Kemell, but they're both ~1.5 years older, which makes a big difference at this age. And it's not like they're scrubs either, 2 guys with legit shots to make the NHL who are both at the top of the age range for this tourney. Kemell is no passenger on that line either, he's generating lots of offence, and I wouldn't put much stock in him missing the net, he has a great shot generally that's just a touch off through 3 games. That he's generating so many shots is a good sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
The best Finn against Canada for sure. He was a handful for the Canadian team. Creating good chances for himself and his teammates. Also he caused at least three penalties to Canada. A pity that his shot seems to be completely off at the moment. He could easily have 6 or 7 goals in the tournament already, if his shot was at the level that he had before his shoulder injury last season. Since that it seems that he has at least some problems with his shooting.

Well anyway, 1+1 against a very tough Canadian team and now he is already 2nd (tied with Räty though) in the tournament’s scoring with 3+6=9 in just 4 games. Very impressive when you think that he has been a double underager and also he has been mostly in Finland’s 2nd PP line.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

I thought he was trying to write "invincible".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad