F Joakim Kemell - JYP, FIN JRS (2022, 17th, NSH)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
translation?
You need a translation of Kemell's goal-scoring video text?

First one:
"Finland gains the 1-0 lead! Kemell's pass attempt ricochets off a Latvian defender into the net, we'll take it!"
Second one:
"And Kemell again! Kemell gets a 2-on-1 attack with Hirvonen and the JYP forward makes no mistake!"

Isn't it very revolutionary?

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
You need a translation of Kemell's goal-scoring video text?

First one:
"Finland gains the 1-0 lead! Kemell's pass attempt ricochets off a Latvian defender into the net, we'll take it!"
Second one:
"And Kemell again! Kemell gets a 2-on-1 attack with Hirvonen and the JYP forward makes no mistake!"

Isn't it very revolutionary?
Why be rude about it?

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
This kid will make a bunch of teams look foolish. I had him ranked 3rd OV on my list.
Yeah maybe.
But can we first wait at least 5-7 yrs before making those statements. Nothing isn't set in stone yet
And nobody can't know how all 2022 NHL draft 1st rounders start their careers in NHL
so please pump the breaks even a bit.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
This kid will make a bunch of teams look foolish. I had him ranked 3rd OV on my list.

He will score some goals, but his IQ will prevent him from becoming a top tier offensive threat imo. He seems very much so like a gifted goal scorer who could score 30 goals but put up 10 assists in a season.

I agree with what was said on the previous page by someone in this thread, about how it's not surprising at all that he fell in the draft. His lack of IQ/playmaking ability will limit him

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He will score some goals, but his IQ will prevent him from becoming a top tier offensive threat imo. He seems very much so like a gifted goal scorer who could score 30 goals but put up 10 assists in a season.

I agree with what was said on the previous page by someone in this thread, about how it's not surprising at all that he fell in the draft. His lack of IQ/playmaking ability will limit him
I'm not sure that's an entirely fair assessment, he's been playing for a terrible team with his linemates like Kalapudas not known for their scoring ability.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Aug 21, 2016

His IQ is quite fine and he can setup plays, processes the game well and quickly with the puck on his stick, he is not just an unidimentional goalscorer. Kemell was the Caufield of the last draft, the way he distributes pucks is a pretty underrated part of his game.

A bunch of teams will look foolish, especially Buffalo who passed on this kid twice.

Last edited:

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Kemell is a very north south attacker, i have never seen him make any plays that made me think wow this kid is a great playmaker, he knows how to shoot and finish, that's what he's known to be good at, skating is pretty good but everything else is average. There is a reason he fell the way he fell in the draft.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Slafkovský was the only pure winger that went higher. I'd say it was rather his position, size, and injuries that kept Kemell at 17th. Ahead of him you could say Geekie is just a big frame and Lekkerimäki a fast-skating shot. Gauthier a combination of the two and he went 5th.

Reactions: Kaako Kappo

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Slafkovský was the only pure winger that went higher. I'd say it was rather his position, size, and injuries that kept Kemell at 17th. Ahead of him you could say Geekie is just a big frame and Lekkerimäki a fast-skating shot. Gauthier a combination of the two and he went 5th.
Lekkerimäki should have gone earlier, really liked his game when i watched him at the u18's, more dynamic then Kemell and skates better.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Kemell is a very north south attacker, i have never seen him make any plays that made me think wow this kid is a great playmaker, he knows how to shoot and finish, that's what he's known to be good at, skating is pretty good but everything else is average. There is a reason he fell the way he fell in the draft.
Why did Lundell go at #12? Why did Sebastian Aho get drafted at #35? Kakko 2nd, Kotkaniemi 3rd, Pulju 4th? Why did Caufield fall to #15 despite having an extremely impressive resume? Could it be that NHL teams aren't very good at drafting, even when your personal opinion lines up with their pick? Like, if there's a reason Kemell fell in the draft, then what's the reason Lekkerimäki fell in the draft?

As to Kemell, I think he's a decent playmaker. He sees the ice well and I really like backhand saucers he sometimes dishes. It's definitely not his bread and butter, and that's okay. He's a sniper. Very exciting to see how he does with actual offensive linemates.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
A bit like (very) poor man's Brett Hull and Paul Kariya those two. Partially overlapping skills as shooters and while Lekkerimäki oozes skill the way Kemell doesn't necessarily, he makes it up by reading the game very well. Going by his strong results at the combine he also has the athletic ability to make it work at the highest level.

Reactions: Ippenator

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I haven't seen any red flags with Kemell and I think highly of myself. I think he is going to be a good one, he has a great motor (which makes him a useful player all around) and you can't teach that kind of scoring touch. Definitely has potential to be a good goal scorer in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad