F Joakim Kemell - JYP, FIN JRS (2022, 17th, NSH)

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Dominated Bedard in the head to head. Insane!
Post automatically merged:

Dominated Bedard in the head to head. Insane!

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Finland played like complete shit (except Kemell) and still eliminated Canada lol.

Kemell proving how utterly useless it can be to follow draft rankings. If NHL scouts stick to their usual U18 WC recency bias, then that kid should go no lower than top five at the draft, even though that's where he should have been the minute he started ripping up the SM-Liiga way back in October.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Surprisingly, Kemell is still good when he gets decent line mates. His team in last part of the year in Liiga just sucked.

He is always going to need good linemates and he will never carry his line but he is pretty damned good finisher with some other qualities to support his finishing prowess.

Last edited:

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Surprisingly, Kemell is still good when he gets decent line mates. His team in last part of the year in Liiga just sucked.

He is always going to need good linemates and he will never carry his line but he is pretty damned good finisher with some other qualities to support his finishing prowess.

I don't really agree with this. Kemell is good at creating offense on his own, just like the OT game winner against Canada today. The other goals were good as well. He's not just waiting near the net for the perfect pass for him to score. I think he's more versatile than you give him credit for.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I don't really agree with this. Kemell is good at creating offense on his own, just like the OT game winner against Canada today. The other goals were good as well. He's not just waiting near the net for the perfect pass for him to score. I think he's more versatile than you give him credit for.
I would still define him as a volume shooter. He is just more complete package than your usual volume shooters are. He has good skating, good passing and he is trying to do other stuff as well than just finishing plays. Give him a good playmaker as his center and he is gonna be lethal in NHL.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He definitely does do more or at least tries to. Tried a bit too much, though - many of the choices he made weren't great. But yeah, definitely not a passive player who just sits around waiting for the pass. I guess it remains to be seen how effective he'll be at things other than shooting at the NHL level.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Is Kemell the Lucas Raymond of this year's draft? Meaning, he will be pick lower than expected and will be a stud? Dynamic, smaller winger with skills.

Raymond was selected 4th and no one expected him top 3. 4th was the highest rank he was supposed to achieve.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Is Kemell the Lucas Raymond of this year's draft? Meaning, he will be pick lower than expected and will be a stud? Dynamic, smaller winger with skills.
Raymond was picked higher than expected.

As player types they also are different. Raymond's more of a playmaker, Kemell's more of a sniper. Holtz would be more similar.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
I tend to agree with Holtz comparison more. Both are primarily volume shooters but are capable of doing other stuff as well in the ice.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Funny, I came to say I'd put him in the same tier as Lucas Raymond as a prospect. Which for me is a big compliment.

No comparison is ever perfect, but best comparable I'd use is William Nylander. Pastrnak comes to mind as well. Should have solidified top 5 at this point with a chance for 2 depending on needs of the team that gets the pick.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

MBrodeur

Mar 30, 2022
It's very difficult to assess him at this point. He does seem like the kind of player that could adapt his game though if his offense wouldn't fully translate into the NHL so he has a good chance of becoming a middle six forward or better.

Obviously he could become a 1st liner aswell I'm just saying he doesn't seem like a boom or bust type of prospect.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
It's very difficult to assess him at this point. He does seem like the kind of player that could adapt his game though if his offense wouldn't fully translate into the NHL so he has a good chance of becoming a middle six forward or better.

Obviously he could become a 1st liner aswell I'm just saying he doesn't seem like a boom or bust type of prospect.
I'd feel pretty confident in his offense translating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad