F Joakim Kemell - JYP, FIN JRS (2022, 17th, NSH)

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Kemell scored his 15th goal yesterday. He's found his confidence again in the end of the season. Two games left for him and then his Liiga season is over. I don't believe we'll see Kemell in action before the draft. He should play in the U20 tournament in the summer. That is months away though so Kemell has a lot of time to gain some muscle.

Reactions: slumpy43

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Kemell scored his 15th goal yesterday. He's found his confidence again in the end of the season. Two games left for him and then his Liiga season is over. I don't believe we'll see Kemell in action before the draft. He should play in the U20 tournament in the summer. That is months away though so Kemell has a lot of time to gain some muscle.
No playoffs for his team?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Lol no, they suck
Ahh. I guess that makes his production even more impressive.

I was reading some scouting reports and there are some question marks around his skating. I have never seen him play so was wondering what folks who have seen him play think about it. Does he need more work in this area for his game to translate to the NHL level?

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Ahh. I guess that makes his production even more impressive.

I was reading some scouting reports and there are some question marks around his skating. I have never seen him play so was wondering what folks who have seen him play think about it. Does he need more work in this area for his game to translate to the NHL level?

I am not a scout but from what I have seen, I don't think skating is a weakness for Kemell.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I would think Kemell would be higher. Slaf has jumped a lot so I would think the top-4 would be some order for Wright, Cooley, Slaf and Kemell.
I think Nemec and Savoie could even go ahead of Kemmell, and obviously Jiricek is in the range as well. I guess it will depend on the eventual draft order.

Reactions: MBrodeur

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Really hard to guess where he will go. Beginning of the season he was just great, everything he did worked out. Then his cannonball style of play came to hurt him and he got injured in a hard mid-ice collision. He had a pretty long layoff and during it JYP really started sucking. After he came back he still looked good, but the goals just stopped coming. Beginning of the season he had top-5 level play, but the rest of the season just was not that amazing. That being said, I think he has still looked better in the latter part of the season than the two other Finnish league draft hopefuls Lambert and Slafkovsky (but recently he has started scoring a lot, so maybe not.)

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'd say earliest he could go is 6 provided Jiricek looks good coming back from his knee injury.

Wright, Slafkovsky, Cooley, Nemec, Jiricek are likely all ahead due to being better prospects and/or playing more valuable positions.

The first debate comes against Savoie, which I think Savoie is better but there's probably scouting teams that feel differently.

Reactions: wetcoast

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I'd say earliest he could go is 6 provided Jiricek looks good coming back from his knee injury.

Wright, Slafkovsky, Cooley, Nemec, Jiricek are likely all ahead due to being better prospects and/or playing more valuable positions.

The first debate comes against Savoie, which I think Savoie is better but there's probably scouting teams that feel differently.
I can say with a lot of certainty that the Devils will go with one of the two RHD with their pick , unless they pick high enough to take Slafkoski. Taking Jiricek or Nemec woild have Kemell slide down one slot for sure then if that happens

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Aug 21, 2016
I have Kemell at 3.

1-Slafkovsky/Jiricek
2-Jiricek/Slafkovsky
3-Kemell

Kemell combines high skills, motor and pure goalscoring abilities. I watched him alot, during his rough stretch and while he wasnt playing with much confidence, he still was skating relentless, hitting and doing whatever he could to get out of that slump. His concusion really slowed him down and JYP is total trash with a weird defensive structure. Kid will be great next year in the AHL since he plays a north american style.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I have Kemell at 3.

1-Slafkovsky/Jiricek
2-Jiricek/Slafkovsky
3-Kemell

Kemell combines high skills, motor and pure goalscoring abilities. I watched him alot, during his rough stretch and while he wasnt playing with much confidence, he still was skating relentless, hitting and doing whatever he could to get out of that slump. His concusion really slowed him down and JYP is total trash with a weird defensive structure. Kid will be great next year in the AHL since he plays a north american style.
When did he get a concusiion? I thought it was a shoulder injury?

Thanks for the assesment -- I haven't watched any full games with him, and can't seem to find many who have, so it's great to hear from someone who watched him a bunch. The few people who have watched him play before and after the injury seem to share your confidence.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Aug 21, 2016

Thanks for the assesment -- I haven't watched any full games with him, and can't seem to find many who have, so it's great to hear from someone who watched him a bunch. The few people who have watched him play before and after the injury seem to share your confidence.
Well he got hit to the head and then missed like 6 weeks, so I figured it was a concusion.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast

What happened to Wright?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
This seems like a pretty thorough assessment, if anyone's interrested. Doesn't seem to be someone I'd want with a top 10 pick the way he's described here, but he may be one of the best goal scorers of the draft, which should make him valuable for a lot of teams drafting that high.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kemell is probably the most interesting one this whole draft.

Lead Liiga in points in Fall until his injury, after which he started playing very poorly and to the end of the season never played nearly as good as he did before said injury.

Teams will have to scout very well in order to determine how much the injury affected him, how much of his early season performance was just a hot streak, whether the injury will affect him in the future, etc.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Kemell is probably the most interesting one this whole draft.

Lead Liiga in points in Fall until his injury, after which he started playing very poorly and to the end of the season never played nearly as good as he did before said injury.

Teams will have to scout very well in order to determine how much the injury affected him, how much of his early season performance was just a hot streak, whether the injury will affect him in the future, etc.

I just hope that he's not like Tolvanen. Incredible couple of months followed by meh.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I just hope that he's not like Tolvanen. Incredible couple of months followed by meh.
For Tolvanen it was after draft, but yeah it's a bit shocking how disappointing Tolvanen has been after the start to his season with Jokerit 17-18. Or well, for #30OA I guess he's not that bad actually, even above average, but yeah.

Reactions: MBrodeur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad