F Joakim Kemell - JYP, FIN JRS (2022, 17th, NSH)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What did he injure by the way, was it his shoulder?
Shoulder injury.

He's played pretty significantly more timid afterwards, and also seems to make plays much slower. Completely different player is about right. It makes scouting him difficult, because one needs to decide whether they think this will be the Kemell from now on, or whether he'll be back to the Kemell he was pre-injury.

Dec 25, 2020
Hill Country
Shoulder injury.

He's played pretty significantly more timid afterwards, and also seems to make plays much slower. Completely different player is about right. It makes scouting him difficult, because one needs to decide whether they think this will be the Kemell from now on, or whether he'll be back to the Kemell he was pre-injury.
If that shoulder injury gave him a lifelong PTSD then I don't know what to think.

I think he'll get back to his old self eventually , as long as he can keep his shoulder intact.
Post automatically merged:

I feel like there's been some conditioning problems with these young Finnish players , a lot of really promising players from Finland seem to get injured relatively easily.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
If that shoulder injury gave him a lifelong PTSD then I don't know what to think.

I think he'll get back to his old self eventually , as long as he can keep his shoulder intact.

I feel like there's been some conditioning problems with these young Finnish players , a lot of really promising players from Finland seem to get injured relatively easily.
Maybe they are training too hard and forgettinghe time they need to recover.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

One very likely thing causing this could in fact be that the best of the very young Finnish talents play in Liiga or Mestis already very young and those leagues are full of physically much stronger adult players. It can on the other hand be good for their development because of the tough competition, but honestly it brings a pretty big risk of injuries for young players who are not yet very much developed physically.

Although I’m not sure if I totally agree with you that young Finnish talents are very much more injured than kids from other countries. Maybe a slight difference though, and probably mostly caused by the reason that I just pointed out.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
One very likely thing causing this could in fact be that the best of the very young Finnish talents play in Liiga or Mestis already very young and those leagues are full of physically much stronger adult players. It can on the other hand be good for their development because of the tough competition, but honestly it brings a pretty big risk of injuries for young players who are not yet very much developed physically.

Although I’m not sure if I totally agree with you that young Finnish talents are very much more injured than kids from other countries. Maybe a slight difference though, and probably mostly caused by the reason that I just pointed out.
Not sure if it was just hearsay or possibly anecdotal, but remember a Finnish coach about 10 years ago telling me that players from Finland matured later than their Swedish counterparts; including when it came to growing facial hair and getting deeper voices.

Kind of dismissed it at the time bit who knows?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

With how size focused NHL teams tend to be, this adds an interesting wrinkle...

I think so too. GM's really like it if you are at least 5'11" as a forward, and definitely want 5'10". Love it if they are over 6'.

In the old days it was a big advantage if you were a Dman over 6'.

I don't think it's ridiculous, at all, to take height into account, but body frame is probably more important. Some guys also just have a better connection to the ice, and have more talent when it comes to giving, taking, and playing through hits. Hard to quantify, but easy to see in person over multiple viewings.

Long winded way of saying that all 5'9"(or whatev') players are not the same

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

With how size focused NHL teams tend to be, this adds an interesting wrinkle...

Yes this especially bothered me because people were discounting players like Savoie, Nazar, Cooley, etc because of their height. Some even picked Kemell over Savoie because of the size advantage on wing 5’11 Kemell to 5’09 Savoie. Now things get real.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Yes this especially bothered me because people were discounting players like Savoie, Nazar, Cooley, etc because of their height. Some even picked Kemell over Savoie because of the size advantage on wing 5’11 Kemell to 5’09 Savoie. Now things get real.
Size isn’t issue with Kemell. He is built like pitbull with low point of gravity. Not quite like Crosby, but he is built in a similar way. Great balance, which is a underrated skill. I would be more worried about lack of elite skating and hockey sense. I can’t figure out any elite qualities in Kemell, but he is good at many things.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Size isn’t issue with Kemell. He is built like pitbull with low point of gravity. Not quite like Crosby, but he is built in a similar way. I would be more worried about lack of elite skating and hockey sense. I can’t figure out any elite qualities in Kemell, but he is good at many things.
I am agreeing with you - what I was frustrated about was people were comparing they would always jump back and say yea well he has a great shot and larger on the wing so can take more wear and tear. What I was demonstrating was there are players like Savoie and Nazar - who have more tools & game but we’re being discounted to the supposed size difference as the main issue.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
From my viewings, I'm not really impressed with Kemell, and I think he'll be the player to fall out of the top 10 and go in that 10-15 range. He's got a phenomenal shot, but his offensive game is almost entirely on the perimeter, and he isn't really engaged in the play much away from the puck. Considering he's very small and not exactly super fast, nor is his IQ elite, I don't see a reason to pick him in the top 10.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Finnish winger Joakim Kemell had a real coming-out party at the 2022 Under-18 World Hockey Championships. He scored six goals and two assists for eight points in five games, helping the Finnish team to the bronze medal. Kemmel was also named a top-three player on the team. The excellent tournament performance came after a strong rookie season in the SM Liiga. Playing for JYP, he scored 15 goals and eight assists for 23 points in 39 games. Kemell led all SM Liiga rookies in goals. He was also named to the Finnish team at the World Juniors, but the tournament was postponed due to COVID.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

I think this is an excellent question to ask a player. It shows how physically mature they are.

Except that it's a completely individual thing and shows nothing. One might not be able to grow a mustache at 40 years of age. Are they physically immature? No, they just don't have the hair follicles required on their face.

From my viewings, I'm not really impressed with Kemell, and I think he'll be the player to fall out of the top 10 and go in that 10-15 range. He's got a phenomenal shot, but his offensive game is almost entirely on the perimeter, and he isn't really engaged in the play much away from the puck. Considering he's very small and not exactly super fast, nor is his IQ elite, I don't see a reason to pick him in the top 10.
This is a joke post or something, right? Kemell goes into the corners willingly and plentily, and likes hitting and playing hard. He'll drive the net, backcheck and isn't a slouch in his own end either. I agree with you that he might go in 10-15 range, but holy if this isn't the most backwards assessment of a player I've seen in a while.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Surprised/dissapointed that Buffalo didn't even interview him. Does that mean they assume he'll be gone by the 9th pick, or that they aren't interested in him? I'm guessing the latter but who knows.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Shorter Filip Forsberg-ish.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Surprised/dissapointed that Buffalo didn't even interview him. Does that mean they assume he'll be gone by the 9th pick, or that they aren't interested in him? I'm guessing the latter but who knows.
Honestly pretty hard to speculate. They could be playing a reverse psychology, or a reverse-reverse psychology game here. The combine is full of mental games between other teams.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Except that it's a completely individual thing and shows nothing. One might not be able to grow a mustache at 40 years of age. Are they physically immature? No, they just don't have the hair follicles required on their face.

This is a joke post or something, right? Kemell goes into the corners willingly and plentily, and likes hitting and playing hard. He'll drive the net, backcheck and isn't a slouch in his own end either. I agree with you that he might go in 10-15 range, but holy if this isn't the most backwards assessment of a player I've seen in a while.
I would have agreed completely with you before Kemell got injured quite early in his Liiga season. But unfortunately after his injury I would have to pretty much agree with @Erik Alfredsson. It was awful what Kemell’s game changed to after that injury. And his intensity and determination never came back for the rest of his season.

Hopefully it was just something temporary, but if he will not be able to play anymore with the intensity he had in the beginning of the season, he will not be a very good player. Intensity is generally that important in hockey, and especially in the NHL.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I would have agreed completely with you before Kemell got injured quite early in his Liiga season. But unfortunately after his injury I would have to pretty much agree with @Erik Alfredsson. It was awful what Kemell’s game changed to after that injury. And his intensity and determination never came back for the rest of his season.

Hopefully it was just something temporary, but if he will not be able to play anymore with the intensity he had in the beginning of the season, he will not be a very good player. Intensity is generally that important in hockey, and especially in the NHL.
Agree to disagree. He played his usual physical game in the U18s. He's not a perimeter player, no matter how you twist it.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Agree to disagree. He played his usual physical game in the U18s. He's not a perimeter player, no matter how you twist it.
Yes, we sure agree to disagree. His U18 performance wasn’t really that good and impressive at all. Well, he got some points as his talent is still pretty good for that level, but generally his game was missing all the intensity and physicality that he had before he got injured. Just a a shadow of the great player he looked like in the beginning of the season.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Yes, we sure agree to disagree. His U18 performance wasn’t really that good and impressive at all. Well, he got some points as his talent is still pretty good for that level, but generally his game was missing all the intensity and physicality that he had before he got injured. Just a a shadow of the great player he looked like in the beginning of the season.
I think he looked great towards the end of the season, pretty much back to his old self -- the goals just weren't going in. That said, he's not great in transition and he's 5'9", so I couldn't imagine he goes in the top 10 like he was projected to go when he was scoring a lot. I bet he goes somewhere around 11 or 12.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Seems like there are a very wide range of opinions on this kid.

Read his profile in The Black Book and was pretty underwhelmed, but then you have Craig Button putting him #3 on his ranking.

I don't think I have a really good read on him, personally.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If he reaches his potential he's a shorter Filip Forsberg imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad