F Ivan Demidov - SKA St. Petersburg, KHL (2024, 5th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
There's no need for retrospection. Everyone knew Michkov was a better prospect than Reinbacher at the time.

They should have taken Michkov and Demidov. Draft BPA that high in the draft.
Yeah but then Montreal would have a huge freaking hole at RHD and a top pairing RHD is the hardest position to fill with 1C, so yeah, I’m ok with Montreal taking a swing at a potential top pairing RHD over yet another winger

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That’s such a dumb reason to pass on a player it just makes no sense
Yeah, but didn't Lapointe or someone come out and say that was a factor?

Yeah but then Montreal would have a huge freaking hole at RHD and a top pairing RHD is the hardest position to fill with 1C, so yeah, I’m ok with Montreal taking a swing at a potential top pairing RHD over yet another winger
It's a lot easier to find a Reinbacher caliber player in the 2nd/3rd round than it is to find a Michkov.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

It's a lot easier to find a Reinbacher caliber player in the 2nd/3rd round than it is to find a Michkov.
Lmao sure yeah just like it’s easier to find a Nemec in the 2nd/3rd round than it is to find a Michkov.

Breaking news: It is not

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Lapointe was asked if the Russian/contract issue was a factor and while he did say yes I got the impression that there were a few things about Michkov that Montreal didn't like.

Never said that they were right, but the contract thing just never made sense.

Reinbacher played all of last year in Europe and likely won't be a full timer till 25-26. Was that extra year that important to the habs that they were willing to pass over what they felt was the better player because of it?

I don't think Montreal had eyes on Michkov for a long time before the draft.

Reactions: MoneyManny

Jan 21, 2018

Wow habs fans are still trying to convince anyone that reinbacher > michkov :laugh:

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
If Montreal knew Michkov would come over in his D+2 season I think they would have taken him. And after seeing him torch the league in preseason, they definitely take him.
Again this is crap. It had nothing to do with his contract. A combination of not liking his character and feeling Reinbacher was the more valuable asset were the liklely reasons.

Wow habs fans are still trying to convince anyone that reinbacher > michkov :laugh:
Reinbacher is likley the more valuable player if he can stay health but that is irrelevant. They presumably felt Michkov was a selfish player. Even if Michkov is putting up big points he may be a loser (like Huberdeau for example).

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Jan 21, 2018
Reinbacher is likley the more valuable player if he can stay health but that is irrelevant. They presumably felt Michkov was a selfish player. Even if Michkov is putting up big points he may be a loser (like Huberdeau for example).

Wow now habs fans are making up imaginary scenarios. You think reinbacher > michkov because there’s a chance that michkov is a loser? 🤣🤣🤣

dumb-and-dumber-lloyd.gif

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Yeah I mean if you look back 2-3 years after a draft you can definitely find players that were picked later that you would have preferred instead of your pick but looking back two years ago, I still think Reinbacher was the right choice. Even now, he looked pretty decent against NHLer at 19 years old. It’s unfortunate he got injured but Montreal needed (and still need) to hit on a high-end RHD and Reinbacher is the only one in the pool that has the ability to fill that need.

You could argue that Montreal could have taken Michkov and then a D but again, Silayev, Dickinson and Buium are all LHD (we have no need for one) and Yakemchuk is redundant. We don’t necessarily have a need for a pure offensive minded D and to be honest, I prefer Demidov over Michkov

I’m sorry you regret not drafting Michkov but I personally don’t and it has nothing to do with cope. I’m not talking for all habs fan and perhaps you should do the same
Drafting solely by what the big club needs AT THE TIME OF THE DRAFT is a truly horrible doctrine and will often result in Kotkaniemis, Reinbachers, and lengthy rebuilds.

If we drafted Michkov instead and had absolutely no need for him, then right about now we could trade him for 3 Reinbachers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad