F Ivan Demidov - SKA St. Petersburg, KHL (2024, 5th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Interesting tidbit - when Arpon Basu had talked to a Habs scout about Michkov, that scout told him to go watch Demidov.

I think the general consensus among the scouts is that Demidov is projecting to be a better talent from Russia than Michkov.
Of course mtl scouts are going to put this out when they know how pissed the fan base is about passing on what could be a franchise player in MM.

I can see it where people see highlights of Demidov and say he’s better than michkov becuase he’s more flashy but at the same age Michkov is just better. No doubt about it. It can change tho!

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Of course mtl scouts are going to put this out when they know how pissed the fan base is about passing on what could be a franchise player in MM.

I can see it where people see highlights of Demidov and say he’s better than michkov becuase he’s more flashy but at the same age Michkov is just better. No doubt about it. It can change tho!

Might even be better than Reinbacher!

They didn't put it out there, they said it to Arpon and he put it on his podcast on the Athletic in response to a fan question.

They don't care about the fan base being pissed, nor should they.

I think the thought of Demidov being better is that he doesn't have the height disadvantage and might actually know there's two other zones.

And it's hard to know, quantifying the value of a top pairing RD and a scoring winger is up to interpretation.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
They didn't put it out there, they said it to Arpon and he put it on his podcast on the Athletic in response to a fan question.

They don't care about the fan base being pissed, nor should they.

I think the thought of Demidov being better is that he doesn't have the height disadvantage and might actually know there's two other zones.

And it's hard to know, quantifying the value of a top pairing RD and a scoring winger is up to interpretation.

Demidov does play defense about as good as Michkov if not worse. When it comes to forechecking and backchecking Demidov isn't better as well. The only truth is Demidov is taller, but Michkov is bulkier.

Reactions: tnfrs and Guadana

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I just watched a game of this kid and while he didn't register a point, he was amazing. He generated atleast 5+ high danger chances. The opposing team dedicated 1 guy to shadow him on the PK because he is so dangerous.

His skating is unbelievable with the puck on his stick. Very elusive, great at board battles, and a high level of compete. I think if he grows a little more and gets stronger, he could play up the middle. He is a smart playmaker that wants to win at any cost. The couple areas I'd like to see him improve this year is his shooting ability and making the simple play more often. I don't think he can beat goalies clean from the slot yet. He is so elusive that he gets into those shooting lanes very frequently. It'd be nice if he could beat the goalies from those lanes more often. I only saw 1 game, but he was held off the scoresheet and he tried way too many fancy moves that failed. He has highlight reel skating, but I'd like for him to make the simple plays when they are the best hockey plays available.

Having said all of that, I still have the MHL MVP as my #1 for the 2024 draft.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
How’s that copium? habs scouts just like Demidov more, end of story. You can agree or not, doesn’t change their opinion.

There is no "their" as it was just an opinion of one scout.

I do really like what I have seen and he is bigger and faster and plays a more complete game than Michkov. That being said, Michkov has been more productive at every level and his skillset is more unique and difficult to quantify.

There appear to potentially be issues with Michkov's character and/or his entourage/handlers that scared teams off. Perhaps that may give an edge to Demidov but imo it is just to early to do so and Michkov is too young to make any concrete assumptions about his character.

I can understand why you may prefer Demidov and I can understand why other posters might refer to it as copium. All that I know for sure is nobody on these boards knows enough about either player to dig in too hard on the topic. I will say though, if you want to refute the copium claims, exaggerating the claim of "scouts" as a plural won't help your cause.

Reactions: Nabrules

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Or in general, fans of other teams love to troll Habs fans.

Best way to deal with it is to ignore it as nothing smart will come from these interactions.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Or in general, fans of other teams love to troll Habs fans.

Best way to deal with it is to ignore it as nothing smart will come from these interactions.

In this case, it's a bit of that and a bit of the "Michkov is god" crowd that will fly into any structured debate about Michkov and refute any evidence that doesn't paint him as an angelic, coaches dream, NHL driven, sure-fire generational talent and Russia as the model country with 0 valid concerns about it currently or in the future.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
How’s that copium? habs scouts just like Demidov more, end of story. You can agree or not, doesn’t change their opinion.

Whether a Habs scout liked Demidov more than Michkov isn't really relevant to what they were thinking passing on Michkov. They could have drafted Michkov and still been in a position to draft Demidov. That would be like passing on Alex Ovechkin and saying, go watch Sidney Crosby. Why not try and get both players?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Interesting tidbit - when Arpon Basu had talked to a Habs scout about Michkov, that scout told him to go watch Demidov.

I think the general consensus among the scouts is that Demidov is projecting to be a better talent from Russia than Michkov.
They are from different drafts so that doesn’t even make sense. Demidov could be the greatest player of all time and that will have no impact on whether it would have been wiser to draft Michkov over Reinbacher (time will tell one way or the other).

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They are from different drafts so that doesn’t even make sense. Demidov could be the greatest player of all time and that will have no impact on whether it would have been wiser to draft Michkov over Reinbacher (time will tell one way or the other).

It's not about whether it is wiser to have drafted Michkov over Reinbacher.. it's an insight into the decision to not draft Michkov, the Russian stuff was part of it, but the evaluation and concerns on the player were a bigger part.

They seemingly would have no issue with drafting Demidov (this can change since we are just under a year to the 2024 draft) because they like that player more.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
demidov has elite wheels. the blackhawks really value that. my guess he is high on there list. as a early guess celebrini, demidov and Anyton Lev would be our top 3 they want speed and D with size and good skating.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
There is no "their" as it was just an opinion of one scout.

I do really like what I have seen and he is bigger and faster and plays a more complete game than Michkov. That being said, Michkov has been more productive at every level and his skillset is more unique and difficult to quantify.

There appear to potentially be issues with Michkov's character and/or his entourage/handlers that scared teams off. Perhaps that may give an edge to Demidov but imo it is just to early to do so and Michkov is too young to make any concrete assumptions about his character.

I can understand why you may prefer Demidov and I can understand why other posters might refer to it as copium. All that I know for sure is nobody on these boards knows enough about either player to dig in too hard on the topic. I will say though, if you want to refute the copium claims, exaggerating the claim of "scouts" as a plural won't help your cause.
I like Demidov’s skillset better. The overall package is also more interesting.

For the scout thing, you focus on the word 1 scout way too much. It’s still the organisation as a whole who likes him when someone who represents them name Demidov specifically. Of course everyone knows their lists aren’t done and decided in the middle of summer a year before the draft lol.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Whether a Habs scout liked Demidov more than Michkov isn't really relevant to what they were thinking passing on Michkov. They could have drafted Michkov and still been in a position to draft Demidov. That would be like passing on Alex Ovechkin and saying, go watch Sidney Crosby. Why not try and get both players?
That wasn’t my point. I didn’t say they passed because they liked Demidov more.

They passed because they weren’t that interested in Michkov, specifically. But it seems Demidov caught their eyes for 2024.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I like Demidov’s skillset better. The overall package is also more interesting.

For the scout thing, you focus on the word 1 scout way too much. It’s still the organisation as a whole who likes him when someone who represents them name Demidov specifically. Of course everyone knows their lists aren’t done and decided in the middle of summer a year before the draft lol.

The opinion of one scout does not on any level whatsoever represent the entire organization, I am sorry but if that isn't the most bias driven fallacy of the day I don't know what is.

I am focused on what is true....you are focused on your narrative.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
That wasn’t my point. I didn’t say they passed because they liked Demidov more.

They passed because they weren’t that interested in Michkov, specifically. But it seems Demidov caught their eyes for 2024.

Oh sure. Not interested in Michkov. But very interested in a mid upside defenseman with bad knees. Buncha geniuses.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Oh sure. Not interested in Michkov. But very interested in a mid upside defenseman with bad knees. Buncha geniuses.

Come on.....is it that difficult to have an honest discussion. There were teams reportedly trying to trade with the Habs to select Reinbacher, and to reduce him to the level that you did is just blind tribal gibberish. You could have just as easily referred to him as the consensus top dman in the draft like most impartial/objective pundits would be inclined to do.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad