F Ivan Demidov - SKA St. Petersburg, KHL (2024, 5th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
because in the last year he was sh1tted by Habs/Canadian community a lot. Like A LOT.
Canadian(not canadiens only, canadian overall) media of various levels regularly poured mud on Michkov. And that's what he saw and heard. What he had to react to.
This is complete horseshit. The Habs fanbase was head over heels for Michkov, had a week-long meltdown over picking Reinbacher, and our board is still virtually unusable some days a month later because every single discussion is people complaining that we didn't take Michkov or using that as a reason to complain about management more generally. As recently as yesterday, the thread for our 5th round pick (MHL goalie Yevgeni Volokhin) became a "should have picked Michkov" soap box. The overwhelming majority of coverage from Canadian media repeatedly implied that Michkov could be considered as high as #2 overall if not for the contract considerations as well.

The idea that Habs fans/media were not appropriately encouraged about Michkov is categorically false. I suppose it's possible that he felt that way and it wouldn't be the first time an 18 year old reacted emotionally to some criticism, but the fanbase and media around the Canadiens were absolutely on board with Michkov. Someone already mentioned this but a washed up 38 year old Ilya Kovalchuk became a fan favourite here, the fanbase is desperate for some offensive flair and saw Michkov as the answer to 50 years of prayers and baggage.

The decision not to draft him has instantly ended the honeymoon phase with the new front office for the plurality of the fanbase. The narrative was that he would be the next true superstar to bring magic back to the franchise, Canadiens fans were comparing this guy to Guy f***ing Lafleur.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
what the hell did i just read Habs media and fans were drooling over the idea of getting Michkov even to a point the whole fanbase went nuts after we picked Reinbacher over him we're still talking about passing on MM till this day and i guarantee we will hear it for years

Kovalev and Markov were gods in Montreal and im 100% sure Michkov would of been one also even a 37/38 year old Kovalchuck became a fan favorite here
First half isn't true at all, again- thats what you see, from outside view point it was very different.
Absolutely agree with second half.

This is complete horseshit. The Habs fanbase was head over heels for Michkov, had a week-long meltdown over picking Reinbacher, and our board is still virtually unusable some days a month later because every single discussion is people complaining that we didn't take Michkov or using that as a reason to complain about management more generally. As recently as yesterday, the thread for our 5th round pick (MHL goalie Yevgeni Volokhin) became a "should have picked Michkov" soap box. The overwhelming majority of coverage from Canadian media repeatedly implied that Michkov could be considered as high as #2 overall if not for the contract considerations as well.

The idea that Habs fans/media were not appropriately encouraged about Michkov is categorically false. I suppose it's possible that he felt that way and it wouldn't be the first time an 18 year old reacted emotionally to some criticism, but the fanbase and media around the Canadiens were absolutely on board with Michkov. Someone already mentioned this but a washed up 38 year old Ilya Kovalchuk became a fan favourite here, the fanbase is desperate for some offensive flair and saw Michkov as the answer to 50 years of prayers and baggage.

The decision not to draft him has instantly ended the honeymoon phase with the new front office for the plurality of the fanbase. The narrative was that he would be the next true superstar to bring magic back to the franchise, Canadiens fans were comparing this guy to Guy f***ing Lafleur.
Again, you see only half of what was going on.

Both massages are about the same, you saw part of inside talks, saw it a lot and don't wanna understand, what kind of signals were seeing from the outside, what kind of words were saying by different talking heads, what kind of narrative was loudly messaged from different media bloggers, YouTubeers, what kind of comparisons were made and marks were given. It wasn't even a little surprise that he wasn't drafted by Canadiens and californias teams. Arizona? May be. And this is the case when I can understand why from both sides. But California and mtl? Nothing really special. And I understand why he could not be very exited about it and wanted to be picked by flyers - their part of the media(most part, I heard one rumors believer from their side of the media too ) dreamed about Michkov.

Stories about character? No one care about how painful McKinnon is and how cocky Fantilli is. Man's mocking on Reinbacher because big part of fanbase wanted other player, it us so disgusting that some fan decided to present book of good words from adequate part of fan base. Its not my words, may be I understand it wrongfully, but EVERYBODY knows how crazy and problematic mtl fanbase are. Its not a secret, you are literally tell it, when talk about your board. And when Hughes and Bobrov are talking about hockey fanatic with generational talent that he is bad apple/problematic player, that is clearly false narrative, that was translated and loudly messaged before by a lot of different Canadian media. His comparison with Demidov is idiotic because he is from different draft. Its a pure false and try to cover their vsses. I don't see any problem to say "we are worry to not see him in the next 3-5 may be more years, we think situation with Russian politic is too difficult on our taste, we want to build good defense and we have goal scorer and he is small too, yes we are going for needs here, but we don't sure in Michkov with this situation and we are exited to draft our future 1D". Its ok to say the truth, not a bad apple stuff or stuff like Demidov. And when they decided to sh1t on player, making comments by themselves about his ethic(like they know something and were in the lockerroom. As I remember they asked him about his hand), they should think about their culture and their priorities from the beginning. Its a sh1t show and they decided what they will say about it. So yeah, the problem isn't Michkov.

Last edited:

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Again, you see only half of what was going on.
I can certainly believe that Michkov felt slighted by particular comments/media, but it is an absolute fabrication to pretend that Habs fans and media were not behind the idea of picking Michkov or that the fanbase drove him away, particularly when you're arguing he would have been justified to tell them not to draft him based on a few media comments in a sea of fans and media worshipping this kid as the next Guy Lafleur.

It's fine if an 18 year old felt slighted by some disparate comments, that's normal and expected for competitive high-level athletes who have to hear they're ranked 5th or lower because of a contract and read @Habs_Fan_69 on twitter saying he's a bad teammate or whatever. I get it, but the idea that Habs fans/media did not want/appreciate Michkov enough is total bullshit.

If Habs fans have any soul searching to do, it's that they bought into the Michkov hype so much that it caused unfair anger directed at Reinbacher because Michkov was elevated as a singular answer and remedy to 50 years of underwhelming offensive talent, not that they didn't appreciate him enough.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I can certainly believe that Michkov felt slighted by particular comments/media, but it is an absolute fabrication to pretend that Habs fans and media were not behind the idea of picking Michkov or that the fanbase drove him away, particularly when you're arguing he would have been justified to tell them not to draft him based on a few media comments in a sea of fans and media worshipping this kid as the next Guy Lafleur.

It's fine if an 18 year old felt slighted by some disparate comments, that's normal and expected for competitive high-level athletes who have to hear they're ranked 5th or lower because of a contract and read @Habs_Fan_69 on twitter saying he's a bad teammate or whatever. I get it, but the idea that Habs fans/media did not want/appreciate Michkov enough is total bullshit.

If Habs fans have any soul searching to do, it's that they bought into the Michkov hype so much that it caused unfair anger directed at Reinbacher, not that they didn't like Michkov enough and ostensibly weren't worthy of drafting such an esteemed talent.
Again, its only a part of fan base and media. Negative media was loud and he had to answer some questions about what was translated from this side. And after that when interview was ended, Michkov clearly said that Mtl asked strange questions.

Its the difference of angle of view.
I would be freaking happy to see him play with Slaf and Suzuki/Dach. But I saw and heard a lot of stuff that was trying to draw Michkov in the dirts. You should understand Michkov doesn't read boards. Its more important to have very little group of haters than big group of fans in this situation.
And you should understand that Canadian press in the eyes of young man from other side of the world is close to be the same as Canadiens press. May be less putins talk in hockey context and killers theories, rumors about bad character could help with more excitement. Stupid questions on the interview didn't help. And the ending comments translate what other side viewer could think before.

Bad Hughes and Bobrov deserved only criticism for their decision, for their comments and for their work, Reinbacher deserve love and support. If mtl fans wants to be example of better culture (so much false talked about it) they should stop to hate reinbacher, and they should stop to mock on Michkov, stop to build false theories about him, how he isn't as good as a player as hype tells, and how he is freaking typical monster human from axis of evil. Just logical criticism of Hughes and Bobrov, and support for Reinbacher, he is great prospect too stories about book of "good words" is disgusting.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoelWarlord

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
They don't care about the fan base being pissed

Probably why everytime a player Habs fans desperately like gets snobbed (or traded) by the team, the aforementioned player is victim of a smear campaign afterwards...

Last edited:

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Isn’t the Habs European draft ram by Nick Bobrov?

The guy who brought everyone the European (including Russian) busts of Lias Andersson and Vitaly Kravtsov. Both went higher than the consensus too. Additionally, Kakko sadly isn’t looking too great.

Wouldn’t trust this guy’s opinion. He’s proven himself unqualified. If he doesn’t like Michkov, that says a lot of good things about Michkov.

That and the fact that Lapointe, who was in charge of the habs development department between 2012 and around 2017, not exactly years with glowing success in that domain, was kept by the new direction and put in charge of the very critical amateur scouting (considering they're in a rebuilding process)...

I was totally astonished to ear him talk about karakteuw, attiteuwd and players who were doing the famous "little things" at both the 2022 and 2023 post draft press conferences..

I had the impression of hearing the exact same narrative as the biceps club duo, Bergevin and Timmins...

The more it changes, the more it stays the same ..

Edit: you're right.

If I was an NHL GM, I would hire both, just to do the exact opposite of their opinion.

They're good compass, if you inverse north and south 😂😂😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mathieukferland

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
The average fun is always going to like Demidov’s game more becuase his elite skating. It’s more fun to watch. Can it make him the better player down the line? Sure, but as on now it’s not particularly close between he and michkov for me.

Michkov is a franchise level prospect. Demidov a star level prospect

Reactions: Unger9 and tnfrs

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
Demidov does play defense about as good as Michkov if not worse. When it comes to forechecking and backchecking Demidov isn't better as well. The only truth is Demidov is taller, but Michkov is bulkier.
Good to hear the perspective of a local on this. There are a few habs fans that have committed too just trusting that Michkov must actually be not very good since they believe so hard in management. And if Hughes passed on Michkov then there must be a million good reasons. It won't be a good look in a few years to be honest. Lots of credibility being lost these days.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
That and the fact that Lapointe, who was in charge of the habs development department between 2012 and around 2017, not exactly years with glowing success in that domain, was kept by the new direction and put in charge of the very critical amateur scouting (considering they're in a rebuilding process)...

I was totally astonished to ear him talk about karakteuw, attiteuwd and players who were doing the famous "little things" at both the 2022 and 2023 post draft press conferences..

I had the impression of hearing the exact same narrative as the biceps club duo, Bergevin and Timmins...

The more it changes, the more it stays the same ..

Edit: you're right.

If I was an NHL GM, I would hire both, just to do the exact opposite of their opinion.

They're good compass, if you inverse north and south 😂😂😂
:wg::wg:

Martin Madden fils was right there and they decided to keep the meathead Lapointe instead. Hopefully if the ch is bad enough to be in the range of Demidov next year they don’t pass on him because of « culture » and take another hermetic defenseman

Reactions: LewisIggy

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
:wg::wg:

Martin Madden fils was right there and they decided to keep the meathead Lapointe instead. Hopefully if the ch is bad enough to be in the range of Demidov next year they don’t pass on him because of « culture » and take another hermetic defenseman

Flyers are going to take Demidov, then Habs scouts are going to say "go watch <insert player from next draft here>".

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
2pwgf1.png

So…how about this Demidov kid? Might be my favorite prospect to watch highlights of in recent memory.

Any hope he can transition or will be looked at as a center or are we pretty sure he’s a RW for sure as an NHL prospect? Is Ryabkin now the hope at center for Russia’s youth groups?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
2pwgf1.png

So…how about this Demidov kid? Might be my favorite prospect to watch highlights of in recent memory.

Any hope he can transition or will be looked at as a center or are we pretty sure he’s a RW for sure as an NHL prospect? Is Ryabkin now the hope at center for Russia’s youth groups?
He’s a natural center. Then SKA moved him to winger, Don’t know why Russia tries to make every center they have into a winger, like Sweden also does. USA, Canada, and Finland among the big five are much better at keeping their best natural centers at the position until they prove they can’t play the position.

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
He’s a natural center. Then SKA moved him to winger, Don’t know why Russia tries to make every center they have into a winger, like Sweden also does. USA, Canada, and Finland among the big five are much better at keeping their best natural centers at the position until they prove they can’t play the position.
Because young centers always can't be reliable on adult level in the beginning of their pro career. Its a problem of vertical hockey systems. Your talented players can train and play with better stronger competition earlier, but its way harder to develop the game of center in this kind of situation. And its hard for shl and khl teams to be patient, its not developing leagues, teams are trying to compete, and young talented players are trying to travel to nhl as early as they can often, so it's not fun for organisations to learn and watch how their talented players leave them before they panning out/make real impact on the ice to help to achieve some wins.
I don't know how this systems can fix it, there are no easy mixture.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Because young centers always can't be reliable on adult level in the beginning of their pro career. Its a problem of vertical hockey systems. Your talented players can train and play with better stronger competition earlier, but its way harder to develop the game of center in this kind of situation. And its hard for shl and khl teams to be patient, its not developing leagues, teams are trying to compete, and young talented players are trying to travel to nhl as early as they can often, so it's not fun for organisations to learn and watch how their talented players leave them before they panning out/make real impact on the ice to help to achieve some wins.
I don't know how this systems can fix it, there are no easy mixture.
That’s definitely true, but with Demidov he’s been playing junior hockey a lot more than KHL hockey.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
That’s definitely true, but with Demidov he’s been playing junior hockey a lot more than KHL hockey.
They are cooking him for early implementation. Again, its a vertical systems, teams are managing development of their prospects on different level - and its good to use talented player in his junior days to learn more. Btw in case of Demidov im not sure his tools are good for center role. I would definitely prefer to use Yurov as center for example.

Reactions: tnfrs

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
I'm already way too emotionally attached to the idea of the Flyers getting Demidov to play with Michkov. If they overperform in reg season my heart will break

Does anyone know what positions Michkov and Demidov played on their line together in IIHF games? Did Demidov play LW or center?

Reactions: Muffinalt and tnfrs

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Does anyone know if Demidov is playing today for CKA 1946? Theyre playing an exhibition against CKA Yunior but I cant find roster info

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Does anyone know if Demidov is playing today for CKA 1946? Theyre playing an exhibition against CKA Yunior but I cant find roster info
The main media platforms for the sports stuff in Russia nowadays are vk and telegram, here is the roster from their telegram page (СКА-1946):

So yeah, no Demidov, but Yegor Graf is there centering the second line, he might be also an interesting prospect.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
The main media platforms for the sports stuff in Russia nowadays are vk and telegram, here is the roster from their telegram page (СКА-1946):

So yeah, no Demidov, but Yegor Graf is there centering the second line, he might be also an interesting prospect.

awesome, much appreciated thanks. too bad no demigod demidov

Reactions: Caser

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
I'm already way too emotionally attached to the idea of the Flyers getting Demidov to play with Michkov. If they overperform in reg season my heart will break

Does anyone know what positions Michkov and Demidov played on their line together in IIHF games? Did Demidov play LW or center?

They were teammates only once for international competition, If I recall correctly. It was the Ivan Hlinka and they were on different lines.
Demidov played C.

Reactions: Unger9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad