F Gavin McKenna - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2026 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Maybe its a bit too bold statement (hot take as it were) but... WHL/CHL might not be the best/good enough league for him next season, for his development... If i was him i would try to get a contract from Europe
SHL, Sm-Liiga.

with Sm-Liiga contract, if he can't get ice time/spot from the pro's (Sm-Liiga & Mestis)
he can play also very competitive games in the Nuorten Sm-Liiga
(or as its now called U20 SM Sarja), now that league might not have
the exact same skill level what CHL leagues provide, but those players
are way more physically mature and more pro level ready players
what in the CHL leagues, i think that would give him greater challenge
what lets say WHL. - benefits of playing pro hockey - pro coaching

with SHL contract - read above + i think J20 Nationell is one of (if not) the best junior leagues
in the entire hockey world.

He would start his season as a 15 year old and turn 16 in December 20,
start the season in the juniors, then get promoted to the pro's after turns 16
and sees how it goes. - either in Finland or Sweden

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Maybe its a bit too bold statement (hot take as it were) but... WHL/CHL might not be the best/good enough league for him next season, for his development... If i was him i would try to get a contract from Europe
SHL, Sm-Liiga.

with Sm-Liiga contract, if he can't get ice time/spot from the pro's (Sm-Liiga & Mestis)

with SHL contract - read above + i think J20 Nationell is one of (if not) the best junior leagues

I don't see that going well - IMO it's way better to stay in Canada and develop with his peers. Moving half way across the world to play pro with adults double his age (who speak a different language) sounds like a terrible situation off ice for the kid.

Sometimes it's hard to remember that these guys are barely into highschool.

Also playing CHL doesn't seem to have had any negative impact on generational guys like Crosby, McDavid, and Lemieux. If it was good enough for those guys it's definitely good enough for McKenna

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
very unique situation for Gavin, played 2 games in 1 day.
2 games vs Northern Alberta Xtreme

One game was postponed something like week or two ago after just 1 period,
so they finished that game in the morning, then later played a game that
was scheduled for that day.

In that postponed game Gavin scored goal and an assist in periods 2 & 3
In the other game he scored a goal and two primary apples.

---

After 24 games : 34 goals, 35 assists, 69 points with 2.88 ppg.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I don't see that going well - IMO it's way better to stay in Canada and develop with his peers. Moving half way across the world to play pro with adults double his age (who speak a different language) sounds like a terrible situation off ice for the kid.

Sometimes it's hard to remember that these guys are barely into highschool.

Also playing CHL doesn't seem to have had any negative impact on generational guys like Crosby, McDavid, and Lemieux. If it was good enough for those guys it's definitely good enough for McKenna
Yeah people really seem to underestimate the CHL now and make it seem like it hurts players in some way. It was fine for Crosby/McDavid/MacKinnon/Stammer/Kane etc, heck even Kucherov came to the Q for a year and he's ok. I think some people think dominating your peers is somehow counter productive to development now, but I don't see it. Basically every 1st overall or generational player from the CHL was "too good" for the league but it can be good to learn to truly dominate a league. Sure you get Lafrenieres and Daigles but that is just how it goes, I don't think they would've been any better off if they went to play in a men's league. The CHL is still a premier league for the top prospects coming into the league and I don't see that changing soon

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
scored another 5 points.

In his last 6 games in the CSSHL U18 Prep

2 goals 2 assists
2 goals 1 assist
1 goal 3 assists
2 goals 1 assist
3 goals 1 assist
2 goals 3 assists
-----------------
12 goals 11 assists
(3.83 ppg)

64 points now (2.91 ppg)
(32+32)

Matched his last season point total in the same league in 13 fewer games

FYI. in 2019-2020 season Connor Bedard scored 84 points in 36 games (2.33 ppg)
in the same league.
Bedard was also a year younger.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
beating Bedards point totals with 20 points and goal totals about 10 goals.

No, he wasnt, less than 6 months.
That’s not how it works, he’s in his 15 year old season, Bedard was in his 14 year old season.

Bedard got special exemption to play in the WHL in his 15 year old season, which is the season McKenna is playing right now.

Bedard had 28 points in 15 WHL games, and 14 points in 7 U18 games in his 15 year old season.

Last edited:

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
2A tonight. Looks ready. Once he gets top line minutes in MH, he'll start producing.

His playmaking is fantastic. Shot's a bit of a muffin.

Also, he is Bedard's cousin by marriage.
Wow, that relation to Bedard is actually awesome, it's going to be advertised like crazy in the run-up to the 2026 draft. I think McKenna is going to be 1OA, he has the playmaking like you say, good frame, high-end motor, has hands, and I expect his shot will catch up.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Wow, that relation to Bedard is actually awesome, it's going to be advertised like crazy in the run-up to the 2026 draft. I think McKenna is going to be 1OA, he has the playmaking like you say, good frame, high-end motor, has hands, and I expect his shot will catch up.

Agreed. He's the very early candidate for 2026. I really like MH's roster. They just need to let the kids play. But you got Willie D playing his vets. As a Canucks fan I know how awful of a coach he is.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Agreed. He's the very early candidate for 2026. I really like MH's roster. They just need to let the kids play. But you got Willie D playing his vets. As a Canucks fan I know how awful of a coach he is.
Cayden Lindstrom is an '06 who gets tons of ice time for Med Hat. Always very noticeable

Reactions: Bubbles

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
SHL, Sm-Liiga.

This seems like it would be a disastrous move for someone of his age. Maybe I could entertain moving to a pro league in his draft year but this is ridiculous

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Returned to the CSSHL.

His team scored 5 goals, won 5-0, McKenna scored 2 goals and 2 helpers.
prior to this; lost 3 games in a row (2-5, 2-8, 2-7)

36 goals, 73 points (2.92 ppg).

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
25 game point streak, has scored at least 1 point in his each game this season

In his last 9 games in the CSSHL, 16 goals, 16 assists, 32 points, 3.56 ppg
- should play in the WHL, obviously, because is almost 1.00 ppg in the WHL....

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
25 game point streak, has scored at least 1 point in his each game this season

In his last 9 games in the CSSHL, 16 goals, 16 assists, 32 points, 3.56 ppg
- should play in the WHL, obviously, because is almost 1.00 ppg in the WHL....
I'm really, really surprised Med Hat isn't doing what Winnipeg did with Savoie in 2019-20. Intentionally playing with a shortened lineup to get McKenna into more games as an emergency AP. Unless the WHL cracked down on that.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I'm really, really surprised Med Hat isn't doing what Winnipeg did with Savoie in 2019-20. Intentionally playing with a shortened lineup to get McKenna into more games as an emergency AP. Unless the WHL cracked down on that.

He's already played 6 more than "allowed". And once his U18 season is over he can join MH. He'll probably end up with the same amount of games Savoie did.

He'll have 3 full WHL seasons before being drafted. More than enough.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
In game 1, McKenna scored 6 goals and 3 primary apples, Yukon wins and scores 11 goals.

There are no boxscore available atm from game 2, which Yukon won 5-2.

edit: the game has not ended yet, Yukon is leading 9-2 (the game starting time is listed at 19 30, local time?) so the game is almost done i think

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad