F Gavin McKenna - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2026 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
What he has done past 12 months or so as a 14 and 15 year old... baffling

CSSHL U18 last season
37 goals, about 80 points in just 26 regular season games
+ another 4 goals and an assist in 3 play-offs games

The tournaments last season
broke the CWG point (and goal) record by a country mile
as a Yukon kid!... 31 points (16 goals) in just 7 games!!!
The Circle K Classics tournament, 6 goals, 14 points in just 6 games
another impressive tournament

WHL debut last season.. 4 points as a 14 year old...

WHL this season as a 15 year old, leading his team from the start
At the WHC-17, as 15 year old, been one of the players there

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
He's the best Canadian player at the WHC17. His hockey sense and playmaking is in his own league. He reminds me of Kucherov. He can basically pass a player open and make the defense look so bad without size, amazing skating, or putting the defense on their heels by attacking them. He slows the game down, but he can do that because he can control an offensive shift. I was thinking he'd be a worse skater than he is. He's no worse than NHL average for his height, and could be better than that. He's obviously a perimeter player, but he's not overly small or unwilling to play near the net or play physical. Has a good shot too. Not only a playmaker. I could see a team eventually that wants a center or a defenseman badly in 2026 that passes on him, if there's someone close to as good as him in 2026. He's an offensive winger, so there aren't that many of those that go 1OA, but he's probably going to be an offensive star in the NHL scoring a lot of points.

I'd put him at a very similar level as Misa, and a little below Bedard. He's different from both. Bedard is a center has the amazing shot that McKenna doesn't have. Misa has better skating and could be a center, which McKenna isn't. At the same time, McKenna passes the puck and probably has better hockey sense than either.
I pretty much second all of this. He is pretty effortless out there, sometimes his nonchalant play almost makes him look lazy and he has definitely made some bad turnovers, but he's easily the most skilled player for Canada on either teams, maybe in the entire tournament tbh.

He is the kind of player anyone can watch for 1 or 2 shifts and he will lstand out because the entire game revolves around him when he has the puck

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
McKenna has elite hands, IQ, and vision, as well as great skating, compete, and off-puck effort. He is the best player in his birth year, despite being born in Dec. He's able to use his tools to make positive plays the vast majority of his shifts. His high-speed processing is noticeable in transition, and he creates offense quickly off turn overs that he creates, or foresees. He's good along the wall, and can use his elite puck skills to navigate small areas in 1v1's, 1v2's, and make slick passes under duress, which is key to success in the NHL. He excels at generating give-and-go plays. He is elite at pick-pocketing players, and his takeaway/giveaway ratio is outlandish; puck carriers have to be aware of him at all times.

He has all the hallmarks of a dominant, play-driving W, who can run a PP, and be the primary catalyst for offense for his team. He just needs to keep refining his game to better understand when to take risks, when to use his teammates, and when to do it himself. He has all the tools to be a superstar talent.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Misa. Could end up a center. The playmaking isn't that much worse. Skates better. I think McKenna will score more points in junior, but Misa will have the better career. I think it's close though.

I appreciate your opinion but disagree.

I think Misa will fall, when the draft comes, i have changed my mind what comes to Misa.

Strange poor season so far, in my standards at least. He needs to work on his game
or he'll fall behind of many prospects.

I see McKenna, a franchise forward, generational of that
So far he has outplayed Bedard, at same age. - time will tell what'll happen

Misa been disappointment after his great last season.

• Haha
Reactions: Breakfast of Champs

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
So far he has outplayed Bedard, at same age. - time will tell what'll happen

Yes McKenna has been good but when Bédard was 15 he was at 2PPG in the W and was Canada’s leading score at u18, McKenna is just over a point a game and didn’t even make the u18 team; McKenna will be a first line elite play driver and creator like a Kucherov or Panarin but Bédard is a generational player which I think McKenna is far from

mrshootthepuck

Jun 30, 2023
Yes McKenna has been good but when Bédard was 15 he was at 2PPG in the W and was Canada’s leading score at u18, McKenna is just over a point a game and didn’t even make the u18 team; McKenna will be a first line elite play driver and creator like a Kucherov or Panarin but Bédard is a generational player which I think McKenna is far from

McKenna is a late birthday which is more likely the reason he was not on the U18's. Canada rarely makes exceptions for 16 year olds, let alone 15 year olds.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
So far not the season i pictured, but i also pictured him to play 1st line, 1st pp...
sure, kid is still 15 (i sometimes forget that) , so 9 goals, about 30 points, about 1.40 ppg,
in 21 games... really good, but still... wish he was playing more and with MHT best players,

scored his 8th and 9th goals of the season tonight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad