F Gavin McKenna - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2026 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
strange thing to say. i highly disagree with you

100% 1st overall of the 2026
kids a franchise level prospect
Pay attention to three usual factors :

players born in 2007 are better known than players born in 2008

forwards are better known than defenders

Canadians are better known than Americans and Russians.

He sets the bar high but Wright had set the bar high in his U16 season.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Could this guy break J-Bo's record for youngest Canadian to play at the WJC?
No, we will see what will happen with Benson and Danielson, but the forward group is pretty stacked this year so I would lean towards him not being good enough. As in the fact he’s a d-2 and I don’t believe Canada has ever taken a d-2 to the world juniors; at this rate I certainly believe he will play two tournaments prior to be drafted though, he has surpassed my expectations

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
No, we will see what will happen with Benson and Danielson, but the forward group is pretty stacked this year so I would lean towards him not being good enough. As in the fact he’s a d-2 and I don’t believe Canada has ever taken a d-2 to the world juniors; at this rate I certainly believe he will play two tournaments prior to be drafted though, he has surpassed my expectations
Pretty huge statement/opinion

If he is not selected, i think it comes to policy of Hockey Canada over nothing else.
not being good enough is not the reason.

-----

If he continues at this production rate, Canadian Ice Hockey Federation
needs to wake up and smell the coffee, also whom ever be the coaches,
put him to a top 6 position, stupid to select him and give him nothing ice time

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Pretty huge statement/opinion

If he is not selected, i think it comes to policy of Hockey Canada over nothing else.
not being good enough is not the reason.

-----

If he continues at this production rate, Canadian Ice Hockey Federation
needs to wake up and smell the coffee, also whom ever be the coaches,
put him to a top 6 position, stupid to select him and give him nothing ice time
He wasn’t even selected for the Hlinka team which is a u-18 program.

What makes you think 6 months later he makes the u-20 team?

You love to make outlandish statements like this, and you’re usually wrong,

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

I really wish people stop using the NHL Sept. 15 draft deadline when referencing international age level tournaments. They have absolutely nothing to do with one another. By the time the puck drop on this year's tournament Gavin McKenna will be 16 years old. Are you telling me no 16 year old has ever played for Team Canada in the history of the U20 tournament? There have been a few.

But, now that I have clarified that, I agree with you that Gavin McKenna does not play for Team Canada at this year's tournament.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
What are his strengths, weaknesses, and how about a player comparison ?

@landy92mack29 @Bubbles @GermanSpitfire @Mathieukferland
Strengths- vision, hands, agolity, speed
Weaknesses- shot, board battles, physicality, defensive play

Player comparison: hmmm I want to say what Drouin was when he was playing Halifax but he turned out awful in the NHL; maybe Artemi Panarine/Jonathan Huberdeau for a pro comparison? I still don’t believe he’s a franchise level player more so first line elite but he’s impressed so far this season

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Strengths: Elite vision, he will always be trying to find the open man, often passing through several players. His speed is elite but doesn't always use it to beat people. Runs a PP like an NHL pro.

Weaknesses: Sometimes still tries to beat the entire team himself instead of making a simple pass. Needs to get stronger to win puck battles. His shot was weak but it's been much better this year.

He's a pass first, LW. I haven't seen him at centre and it's unlikely he'll ever play at that position. Left handed version of Panarin is a decent comparable. The way he moves around the ice kind of reminds me of Kyle Connor (without the shoot first mentality)

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
J Bo was the only d-2 I know about hence why he is the youngest ever

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

To piggyback off of what has already been said, his mind and how he thinks the game is elite, it’s why he has been able to come in at age 15/16 and put up point per game numbers. He is very deceptive with both his feet and posture and this causes defenders to think twice and their timing gets thrown off because of it…

Look at this goal here, he picks the puck off the wall from his teammate, head fakes to make the penalty killer believe it is going to the point, this gives himself the time and space needed to walk in, cause the defender in front of him to freeze up, thinking a shot is coming to the left only for him to use the defender as a screen and it allows him to do the Matthews/Bedard curl and shoot wrister that is getting more and more popular with kids these days.

Or on this play below - McKenna is anticipating a pass to the point if Calgary wins the loose puck battle in the corner, they do and do exactly what McKenna was hoping for - he misses the puck along the boards at first but strong stick and body positioning allows him to poke the puck off the stick of the defender on the point, past him and McKenna starts wheeling down the ice with the puck. He takes a look to his right and see’s one defender and one of his teammates - he realizes that the defender was going faster than his teammate so he slowed down, allowing for his teammate to catch-up where he set a pick on the defender and McKenna had an open, uncontested lane to the net where he found an opening on the goalie.

As for what he needs to work on, he isn’t the most engaged on the defensive side of the puck, like most 16 year olds he is always thinking offence. His IQ is fantastic so I suspect this won’t be an issue in the future, prospects as smart as him usually develop this part of the game as they mature.

He also needs to hit the gym, gain some muscle to become stronger on the puck. He is afraid of the corners like most skilled players and it’s something I’d like to see him improve on moving forward.

As for a player comparison? Dylan Larkin without the blazing speed.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
From the WHL his play style is pretty similar to Peyton Krebs but there's no one player who he's exactly like atm from what I've seen. Some Patrick Kane in his game, some RNH but not one obvious 1-for-1 comp.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
To piggyback off of what has already been said, his mind and how he thinks the game is elite, it’s why he has been able to come in at age 15/16 and put up point per game numbers. He is very deceptive with both his feet and posture and this causes defenders to think twice and their timing gets thrown off because of it…

Look at this goal here, he picks the puck off the wall from his teammate, head fakes to make the penalty killer believe it is going to the point, this gives himself the time and space needed to walk in, cause the defender in front of him to freeze up, thinking a shot is coming to the left only for him to use the defender as a screen and it allows him to do the Matthews/Bedard curl and shoot wrister that is getting more and more popular with kids these days.

Or on this play below - McKenna is anticipating a pass to the point if Calgary wins the loose puck battle in the corner, they do and do exactly what McKenna was hoping for - he misses the puck along the boards at first but strong stick and body positioning allows him to poke the puck off the stick of the defender on the point, past him and McKenna starts wheeling down the ice with the puck. He takes a look to his right and see’s one defender and one of his teammates - he realizes that the defender was going faster than his teammate so he slowed down, allowing for his teammate to catch-up where he set a pick on the defender and McKenna had an open, uncontested lane to the net where he found an opening on the goalie.

As for what he needs to work on, he isn’t the most engaged on the defensive side of the puck, like most 16 year olds he is always thinking offence. His IQ is fantastic so I suspect this won’t be an issue in the future, prospects as smart as him usually develop this part of the game as they mature.

He also needs to hit the gym, gain some muscle to become stronger on the puck. He is afraid of the corners like most skilled players and it’s something I’d like to see him improve on moving forward.

As for a player comparison? Dylan Larkin without the blazing speed.

Thank you for this write-up GS - Excellent as usual

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad