F Gavin McKenna - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2026 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I’m not sure he’s a franchise level talent, but he’s certainly not outside top 5 in his age group and worse than Zachary Morin as one poster here has suggested

He's certainly a franchise talent already. No one in the 2026 Draft is even playing at this high junior level yet and McKenna's already more than a point a game player.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Watched the kid live in Victoria last evening. A few thoughts from a non-scout:
- He's got great hands and he sees his teammates well when he has the puck.
- I thought he looked lost when he didn't have the puck. A couple times I was asking myself 'what the hell is he doing way over there?'
- He has a choppy, potentially inefficient skating style. He's not the kind of guy who's exploding away from opponents with his first few strides. Having said that, he has decent top-end speed. I'd hope there is some work being done to maximize his skating.
- He's still got to fill out some; combine his slight frame with the hitch-y skating style and it's vaguely reminiscent of a kid who played in the Soo in the late '70s. (That kid had lots of holes in his game too - wonder whatever happened to him?)**
- He produced nothing against a very weak opponent. He did generate one scoring chance but his linemate was too close to the goalie and got stuffed.

In all, he looked like a kid in his first full year of major junior. I won't make any judgements based on one game.

** No, I'm not making a comparison between McKenna and Gretzky. My first impression was that he's got a funny skating stride, and that he's on the small side and I'm just reminding myself that lots of very good players looked out of place at 16.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Not the best skater but he has a few years to improve on that. Can't argue with the production as a very late '07. He will be a good one.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
His skating is elite. I don't know what the other poster is talking about.
I said he has good top-end speed but his first three strides look a bit choppy. I'd want to see more, but from my limited viewing I thought it was inefficient.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's the best Canadian player at the WHC17. His hockey sense and playmaking is in his own league. He reminds me of Kucherov. He can basically pass a player open and make the defense look so bad without size, amazing skating, or putting the defense on their heels by attacking them. He slows the game down, but he can do that because he can control an offensive shift. I was thinking he'd be a worse skater than he is. He's no worse than NHL average for his height, and could be better than that. He's obviously a perimeter player, but he's not overly small or unwilling to play near the net or play physical. Has a good shot too. Not only a playmaker. I could see a team eventually that wants a center or a defenseman badly in 2026 that passes on him, if there's someone close to as good as him in 2026. He's an offensive winger, so there aren't that many of those that go 1OA, but he's probably going to be an offensive star in the NHL scoring a lot of points.

I'd put him at a very similar level as Misa, and a little below Bedard. He's different from both. Bedard is a center has the amazing shot that McKenna doesn't have. Misa has better skating and could be a center, which McKenna isn't. At the same time, McKenna passes the puck and probably has better hockey sense than either.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He's the best Canadian player at the WHC17. His hockey sense and playmaking is in his own league. He reminds me of Kucherov. He can basically pass a player open and make the defense look so bad without size, amazing skating, or putting the defense on their heels by attacking them. He slows the game down, but he can do that because he can control an offensive shift. I was thinking he'd be a worse skater than he is. He's no worse than NHL average for his height, and could be better than that. He's obviously a perimeter player, but he's not overly small or unwilling to play near the net or play physical. Has a good shot too. Not only a playmaker. I could see a team eventually that wants a center or a defenseman badly in 2026 that passes on him, if there's someone close to as good as him in 2026. He's an offensive winger, so there aren't that many of those that go 1OA, but he's probably going to be an offensive star in the NHL scoring a lot of points.

I'd put him at a very similar level as Misa, and a little below Bedard. He's different from both. Bedard is a center has the amazing shot that McKenna doesn't have. Misa has better skating and could be a center, which McKenna isn't. At the same time, McKenna passes the puck and probably has better hockey sense than either.
Very interesting. Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad