F Gavin McKenna - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2026 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
still worried about Gavin's role, ice time :(
again, yeah, he is still 15 and he probably isn't playing as good as hockey as i was hoping
but still... give him a bigger role damn it...

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
still worried about Gavin's role, ice time :(
again, yeah, he is still 15 and he probably isn't playing as good as hockey as i was hoping
but still... give him a bigger role damn it...
Hes over ppg and he hasn't even had his 16th Birthday yet... Were you expecting Crosby? He's not that.

He could very well be a future NHL star or even superstar, but what he is doing this year should be applauded not considered a disappointment by any stretch. He was clearly the best player offensively st the u17s as well and is a draft year later than most of those players. I would say he's gotta be the favorite for #1 as it stands, nothing to be worried about

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Hes over ppg and he hasn't even had his 16th Birthday yet... Were you expecting Crosby? He's not that.

He could very well be a future NHL star or even superstar, but what he is doing this year should be applauded not considered a disappointment by any stretch. He was clearly the best player offensively st the u17s as well and is a draft year later than most of those players. I would say he's gotta be the favorite for #1 as it stands, nothing to be worried about

He's already on the 1st PP and has been a feature on the top 6 for the whole year. I wouldn't bother responding to George Leafer, he doesn't even make sense.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
I wouldn't bother responding to George Leafer, he doesn't even make sense.
Nothing about McKenna’s season has been a disappointment to those that think he’s not better than Connor Bédard (which he does, hence his over expectation).

Him and Schaefer were the the best players at U17, and McKenna is a year later for the draft

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Schaefer is far from the best currently.McKenna didn't make it through the U17 tournament. The only player to be negative (-10) in a team where everyone is positive.I think we will have to lower expectations and not be surprised if McKenna is not No. 1 in 2026. There is a good chance that an American, a Russian or a European will be ahead of him in June 2024 . I compare him more to Shane Wright as a potential.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Schaefer is far from the best currently.McKenna didn't make it through the U17 tournament. The only player to be negative (-10) in a team where everyone is positive.I think we will have to lower expectations and not be surprised if McKenna is not No. 1 in 2026. There is a good chance that an American, a Russian or a European will be ahead of him in June 2024 . I compare him more to Shane Wright as a potential.
I watched all the games live and it was clear as day he has the most offensive potential. Absolutely a flawed player, too nonchalant and defensive game needs work. But in terms of natural offense he was head and shoulders creating more than any player. I would compare his style to kucherov, nothing like Shane wright at least stylistically.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
The only player to be negative (-10) in a team where everyone is positive.I think we will have to lower expectations and not be surprised if McKenna is not No. 1 in 2026.
???

I mean anything is possible sure and development isn’t linear but we’re talking about a player that in his age 14/15 combined totals has 50 points in 42 games, without seeing top time for most of that stretch. Was also the best player at WHC17 by some distance in my opinion despite being one of the youngest there.

Sure, he needs to improve his off puck play and get stronger and work on his stride mechanics, but it’s rather hilarious to suggest he’s some major disappointment. He’s outpaced McDavid, Wright, and Misa at the same age.

Is he a generational or franchise talent? No. But he can be the best playmaking winger in the league one day like Panarin or Huberdeau used to be

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
???

I mean anything is possible sure and development isn’t linear but we’re talking about a player that in his age 14/15 combined totals has 50 points in 42 games, without seeing top time for most of that stretch. Was also the best player at WHC17 by some distance in my opinion despite being one of the youngest there.

Sure, he needs to improve his off puck play and get stronger and work on his stride mechanics, but it’s rather hilarious to suggest he’s some major disappointment. He’s outpaced McDavid, Wright, and Misa at the same age.

Is he a generational or franchise talent? No. But he can be the best playmaking winger in the league one day like Panarin or Huberdeau used to be
Yup I'll have to agree. I watched all the U17 games too and he certainly looked to be head and shoulders above the competition. He's not at Bedard's level but he's the closest out of everyone in the next 3 drafts. The only wild card is we haven't seen much of any Russian prospects his age so maybe someone from there might challenge him.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I watched all the games live and it was clear as day he has the most offensive potential. Absolutely a flawed player, too nonchalant and defensive game needs work. But in terms of natural offense he was head and shoulders creating more than any player. I would compare his style to kucherov, nothing like Shane wright at least stylistically.

I was talking in terms of draft value. A Canadian guy ahead of the others, announced as number 1, who stagnates and is overtaken by Europeans and Americans.

???

I won't bet my house that it will be #1 in 2026, that's all I'm saying.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
I was talking in terms of draft value. A Canadian guy ahead of the others, announced as number 1, who stagnates and is overtaken by Europeans and Americans.
Shane wright didn’t stagnate because of his nationality, he stagnated because he sat at home and didn’t play during the covid year.

And well for #1 in 2026 fair enough you’re entitled to your opinion but I think he’s strong even compared to the 2025 top prospects

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Shane wright didn’t stagnate because of his nationality, he stagnated because he sat at home and didn’t play during the covid year.

And well for #1 in 2026 fair enough you’re entitled to your opinion but I think he’s strong even compared to the 2025 top prospects

Never said that it was because he was Canadian that he was stagnating (are you smoking or what ?!?)

Canadian prospects are more known than others earlier.

You don't know the European, American and Russian prospects, especially those born in 2008, so it's presumptuous to talk about No. 1. Given his performances, there is the possibility that one or more players will be ahead of him in 2026 and that is why it reminds me of Shane Wright.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Never said that it was because he was Canadian that he was stagnating (are you smoking or what ?!?)
Apart from actually saying that, yes. I’m not sure if you’re using google translate to post here but that’s how it came across

You don't know the European, American and Russian prospects, especially those born in 2008, so it's presumptuous to talk about No. 1. Given his performances, there is the possibility that one or more players will be ahead of him in 2026 and that is why it reminds me of Shane Wright.
Ok, sure, but the chances are against a player putting up near record numbers in the 21st century in the best development league in the world falling like Shane Wright did.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Apart from actually saying that, yes. I’m not sure if you’re using google translate to post here but that’s how it came across

Ok, sure, but the chances are against a player putting up near record numbers in the 21st century in the best development league in the world falling like Shane Wright did.
Sorry but you really wanted to understand what you wanted to understand. Not a matter of Google translate.

Which record numbers ?

As already said, I'm only explaining that I won't bet my house on him being selected #1 in 2026. That's it.

Personally, I've never been impressed with McKenna since I've known him. One of the best in the world yes, but not the guy who stands out from the crowd. So I remain reserved.

I didn't think he was the best player in the U17 tournament. Emile Guité impressed me more in this tournament. And others too.

We're talking about a very strong Russian born in 2008... The probability of a very strong American is high... Maybe a Swede... We'll see...

There is room for a player to be better than him in 2026.

Last edited:

rubenflamshep

Dec 6, 2023
Toronto
scoutthe.xyz
McKenna looks good, Bedard is a tough comparison as he broke a lot of stat charts in the same way McDavid did. (The lightest shaded grey line below is the 95th percentile to give you an idea of how much better Bedard was than the rest of the whl)

We have about 6 months-1 year to see how McKenna settles into the league to get a true comparable but I echo a lot of the sentiments here. Talented player but lots of room for someone else to swoop in and be that first overall.

Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 8.27.13 PM.png

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yup I'll have to agree. I watched all the U17 games too and he certainly looked to be head and shoulders above the competition. He's not at Bedard's level but he's the closest out of everyone in the next 3 drafts. The only wild card is we haven't seen much of any Russian prospects his age so maybe someone from there might challenge him.
Hagens is better than him. Better skating, defensive game, and plays center. I think McKenna has a little more offense, but splitting hairs there.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Hagens is better than him. Better skating, defensive game, and plays center. I think McKenna has a little more offense, but splitting hairs there.
I think Hagens projects better because of his skating and in terms of draft stock because he is a centre. If they’re both 2025 I probably take Hagens.

That being said if the question is about the next 3 drafts like you responded to I take Celebrini over both of them, he’s quite clearly in a different class from McKenna, and I think I liked a lot more of what I saw from him at u18 than Hagens. Would have been nice to have another opportunity to compare the WJC though

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
I think Hagens projects better because of his skating and in terms of draft stock because he is a centre. If they’re both 2025 I probably take Hagens.

That being said if the question is about the next 3 drafts like you responded to I take Celebrini over both of them, he’s quite clearly in a different class from McKenna, and I think I liked a lot more of what I saw from him at u18 than Hagens. Would have been nice to have another opportunity to compare the WJC though
all 3 could be elite players. If around the time of the 07 draft you asked who was the best 1OA for the next drafts you would probably get ;

1. Tavares
2. Stamkos
3. Kane

All 3 turned out to be great players, but the actual order is the inverse of this.

I feel the same way about Celebrini , Hagens, and McKenna. All 3 are likely to become elite NHLers who could be among the game's elite. Where they will rank amongst each other is anyone's guess though because so much is still up in the air.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The tone of the posts in the last month seem to have become more negative towards the kid?

Why is that or is it my imagination?

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The tone of the posts in the last month seem to have become more negative towards the kid?

Why is that or is it my imagination?

It depends on if you base your opinions on people who ACTUALLY watch the games or the ones that just post stat updates from the internet and never watch hockey.

To each his own. I'm sticking with my fellow WHL watchers.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It depends on if you base your opinions on people who ACTUALLY watch the games or the ones that just post stat updates from the internet and never watch hockey.

To each his own. I'm sticking with my fellow WHL watchers.
I hope you're right.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That wasn’t Hagens best tournament. He wasn’t playing a lead role, didn’t play his best, and also had terrible puck luck. He’s been pretty dominant with his own age group. I’m sympathetic to the difference in age not being that great, despite them being different drafts, but I also think that if you somehow put them in the same situations Hagens would’ve outplayed Celebrini anyway.

I think Celebrini just doesn’t have the playmaking upside of Hagens or McKenna. I would probably take McKenna over Celebrini, but I guess we aren’t talking about a big difference between the three either way you go.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014

meh.. the covid year excuse is debatable . For me , SW was simply one of those kids who was close to fully grown at 15 .. hence less upside on the developmental pathway . I mean he looked like a 35 yo man that first year in the O..lol

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Mr. McKenna has waken up again, 3 points in his last 2 games. Good start for a new year,
hopefully something to build on for the remaining of the season, restart as you will

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad