F Filip Zadina - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 6th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sorry if I insulted you. It's just that I strongly disagree with your take on the player. We'll have to just agree to disagree because I see a lot more in him than you do.
What do you see? You see more than a potential 40-30 player? I think Zadina tops out as a 35-30, ive stated that already.

To say hes good at board battles and play making when its clearly one of his knock, along with his meh speed and first steps is being a bit too generous. No prospect is perfect. To hope for more than 40 assists is also being too generous, he doesnt have that game.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
He was, but its fine if you dont want to believe it. Ive seen it, he needs to get stronger by a good bit.

I agree with your assessment on his strength, he may never gain that kind of bulk to be a guy who wins all his board battles. His playmaking ability though was on full display when he was paired with Necas internationally, he was also the driver of offence for his lines in the Q.

I am curious though why you compare him to Pacioretty?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
What do you see? You see more than a potential 40-30 player? I think Zadina tops out as a 35-30, ive stated that already.

To say hes good at board battles and play making when its clearly one of his knock, along with his meh speed and first steps is being a bit too generous. No prospect is perfect. To hope for more than 40 assists is also being too generous, he doesnt have that game.

Honestly I see a 30-30 guy most years (20-20 rookie) with a season or two as a 40-40 but that's a pretty exceptional NHL player. I don't think you can project a 35-30 guy and call him one dimensional unless you think he has an Ovechkin/Laine level shot (which he doesn't). I think those point projections are fine but your characterization is off.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I agree with your assessment on his strength, he may never gain that kind of bulk to be a guy who wins all his board battles. His playmaking ability though was on full display when he was paired with Necas internationally, he was also the driver of offence for his lines in the Q.

I am curious though why you compare him to Pacioretty?
Because his production is going to be 30-30 with good defensive implication.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Honestly I see a 30-30 guy most years (20-20 rookie) with a season or two as a 40-40 but that's a pretty exceptional NHL player. I don't think you can project a 35-30 guy and call him one dimensional unless you think he has an Ovechkin/Laine level shot (which he doesn't). I think those point projections are fine but your characterization is off.
Pacioretty has been that for the past 5 years and hes the most unidimensional player I can think of. All he has is speed and shot.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Pacioretty has been that for the past 5 years and hes the most unidimensional player I can think of. All he has is speed and shot.

Pacioretty's stretch from 2011-12 to 2016-17 he was one of the more productive offensive players in the league. Admittedly you'd know more about his play style than I would but he does have some elite qualities in his shot and skating, I don't think Zadina is as dependent on any singular quality as much as Pacioretty is on them. Any project that produces as well as him is a huge success though.

I think Zadina will be a better driver of offense while Pacioretty is a great finisher, he doesn't create as well as Zadina does. That's why Pacioretty's numbers have begun to decline on the Canadiens as the team has fallen apart. Their playstyles aren't very similar even if their production (hopefully) will be. I also think Zadina could have a better and longer peak than Patches who never managed a PPG season like I think Zadina can.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think he was clearly the 3rd best prospect in this draft. Kotkaniemi has potential but I think rose a little more due to the need for centers. Tkachuk is underrated by a lot of people on here and isnt as bad as some let on, but I still think hes pretty clearly below Zadina on potential. Hayton screams Chayka trying to seem too smart for the league because hes a young guy.

I think Dahlin and Svechnikov have clear elite potential. Zadina is a guy I would put just below them, but was talked about as another guy with elite potential. Guys like Tkachuk and Kotkaniemi wenret talked about like that, Hayton was barely talked about in the top 10.

We'll see how it plays out and a lot can change but I think a lot of people will be surprised he fell to 6th

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I think Dahlin and Svechnikov have clear elite potential. Zadina is a guy I would put just below them, but was talked about as another guy with elite potential. Guys like Tkachuk and Kotkaniemi wenret talked about like that, Hayton was barely talked about in the top 10.

He may not be a franchise forward, but Zadina easily has top line star potential.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Hes still a winger with little offensive impact and a one trick poney. Hes gonna score 30 im pretty sure, like 99.9 sure, but I still wouldve been mad to get another Pacioretty at 3, thats not how you build a team. All it does is take you from bottom feeder to bubble.

Also, youre sleeping on Boqvist if you dont think his shooting ability isnt elite and on par with the others, kid is gonna score 20 year in and out. Dobsons skating is elite too, and his ability to gain the zone is unrivaled in the draft, not even Dahlin touches it, IMO. Kotkaniemis anticipation is also an elite tool.

Zadina is not a better prospect than any of the real top 10 (IE not Tkachuk, Bouchard and Hayton)

Whatever you say bud! Thanks for passing on him! We're glad to have him!

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
This thread has gotten hilarious.

"One trick pony."

Hasn't pretty much every prospect report said he's very responsible defensively? Not only that, don't half the fans in the league call Ovechkin a one trick pony?

But he'll be nothing more than a poor man's MaxPac. Maybe we can get a couple "Maxpac for Zadina + 1st" threads like we've seen with Mantha.

It's mainly just a bunch of sour Habs fans. Sens fans are all upset because they passed on him and think he's gonna be a stud. Habs fans though are saying he's projected to be like a Charles Hudon haha.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Meh speed? Have you ever watched him play before? Come on man. You're sour that your team passed on him, so now you are completely downplaying his abilities. He is far from an average skater. No, he isn't Nikolaj Ehlers fast, but he can still skate like the wind.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Meh speed? Have you ever watched him play before? Come on man. You're sour that your team passed on him, so now you are completely downplaying his abilities. He is far from an average skater. No, he isn't Nikolaj Ehlers fast, but he can still skate like the wind.
What the heck :laugh:

Ive had Zadina at 5 since about march or april. His POs were bad, he was completely neutralized without Sompi, and thats why they didnt go further. Ive had Boqvist and Kotkaniemi at 3/4 for the longest time, I can link you to a thread for proof.

Zadina is a good edge skater but hes not fast at all.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
What the heck :laugh:

Ive had Zadina at 5 since about march or april. His POs were bad, he was completely neutralized without Sompi, and thats why they didnt go further. Ive had Boqvist and Kotkaniemi at 3/4 for the longest time, I can link you to a thread for proof.

Zadina is a good edge skater but hes not fast at all.

You're right, his playoffs were terrible, 12 points in 9 games is pathetic! He's a bust, should have gone in the 4th round, he's awful.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
It's mainly just a bunch of sour Habs fans. Sens fans are all upset because they passed on him and think he's gonna be a stud. Habs fans though are saying he's projected to be like a Charles Hudon haha.

Most Habs fans seen to be saying Zadina was BPA at 3rd overall.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
How is 12 points in 9 games bad?

In my opinion, bad playoff production would be something like 1 assist in 7 games. ;)
Zadina wasn't bad in the playoffs, but wasn't as good as you think. He was invisible more often than not against Charlottetown. I also fully expected Zadina to tear up the Qmjhl while Kotkaniemi adapting to a men's league.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Zadina wasn't bad in the playoffs, but wasn't as good as you think. He was invisible more often than not against Charlottetown. I also fully expected Zadina to tear up the Qmjhl while Kotkaniemi adapting to a men's league.
Playoff performance doesn't matter is what I learned from Rasmussen being above 2PPG in his playoffs and still likely to not make a top 50 prospect hfboards poll.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think Pacioretty's shot and production, isolated, is a very good comp for Zadina actually. However, they are different animals. Zadina brings more intensity, fire, personality and charisma to the ice. This doesn't make Pacioretty a bad player - because he's not - but he's a forward version of Jay Bouwmeester... very good player, but extremely low intensity, that often shows when it matters most (and not in a good way). There's few low-intensity players that I would want to go to battle with in a game 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad