Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hold up, let Chef Allvin cook.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

dez

Mar 3, 2012
So, it’s possible to still land Tanev and Guentzel/Reinhart?
If Tanev takes a discount and if they can trade for Guenzel rights, Yes, signing Guenzel at 7 years makes no sense. Reinhart is 10+ regardless of 8th year

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I fear Garland is gunna be dangled, but if it gets us more cap for a big fish + a couple d men I’d do it.
Yes, I would dangle Garland if it made sense and freed up cap to be reallocated. He was great for us this year but provides no PP or PK value and doesn’t really play with Miller or Petey. For $5M that’s a lot to not play special teams.

Don’t think anything will happen but just looking at the current roster it’s a possibility

DimitriL07

Jan 24, 2023
Vancouver BC
Is it his contract value is the part that's a little sus? I think he provided us great value in the playoffs.

I honestly don’t mind that contract to much, he provides way more then just scoring. Love Garls but I can’t think of anyone else on the roster who frees up space if needed to get that big producing winger. We can squeeze it now but it would be nice adding a Tanev type on top of the winger.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I honestly don’t mind that contract to much, he provides way more then just scoring. Love Garls but I can’t think of anyone else on the roster who frees up space if needed to get that big producing winger. We can squeeze it now but it would be nice adding a Tanev type on top of the winger.

One potential Garland move I can see making sense is a hockey trade where you move him for a defenseman, save some cap, and allocate the remaining space to forwards. I mentioned before, but for example, if you moved him for Marino (for discussion, not saying this is realistic) who has a $4.4M cap hit you could run Hronek-Marino-Myers down the right side, and still have $15M+ to sign Dillon and throw at a couple forwards.

Reactions: DimitriL07

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Ah, the dilemma of having no real bad contracts, I guess that's cap era hockey for you isn't it?

Soon enough we'll really need our prospects to step it up and provide us with more value.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
One potential Garland move I can see making sense is a hockey trade where you move him for a defenseman, save some cap, and allocate the remaining space to forwards. I mentioned before, but for example, if you moved him for Marino (for discussion, not saying this is realistic) who has a $4.4M cap hit you could run Hronek-Marino-Myers down the right side, and still have $15M+ to sign Dillon and throw at a couple forwards.
That's the kind of move I would definitely do (depending on the forwards), though I'd be loathe to lose Garland. If trading Garland led to Marino and the ability to sign Dillon, Guentzel and a third line replacement (probably 2.5-3m), it makes so much sense to do it.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

That makes sense for VAN's need, but doesn't really address NJ's need in terms of cap relief (should they sign Pesce first). I've thought about this one too.

But then I moved to CAR as a destination for Garland. They have the potential to lose Necas, Guentzel and Teravainen without immediate forward help coming back. They're also very focused on possession metrics, and this is where Garland shines. It seems like a fit.

Reactions: Flik

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
That makes sense for VAN's need, but doesn't really address NJ's need in terms of cap relief (should they sign Pesce first). I've thought about this one too.

But then I moved to CAR as a destination for Garland. They have the potential to lose Necas, Guentzel and Teravainen without immediate forward help coming back. They're also very focused on possession metrics, and this is where Garland shines. It seems like a fit.

Honestly, I haven't looked into their cap situation closely, I was under the impression they were more going to move him because after signing Pesce they'd be completely over-loaded on the right side (that must be nice) and would need to move somebody or have too much cap allocated to the bottom pair.

Again, no idea if that's remotely realistic, but that's the kind of trade I think you'd make with Garland. Not a straight dump.

Reactions: ziploc

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Not digging that Drance article. Stephenson and Toffoli? Blech.

PJ's section on RFAs was interesting. First time I've seen Pierre-Olivier Joseph's name mentioned - he could be a really interesting guy to target if Pittsburgh doesn't qualify him (likely IMO).

Want no part of Timothy Liljegren. Tiny + made of glass.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

UFAs:
-Guentzel and Tanev remain the priority
-believed to have interest in other forwards including Toffoli and Stephenson
-one source suggested that if Guentzel is unavailable and Reinhart is, they'll take a swing at Reinhart
-Dallas is pushing to extend Tanev
-Maple Leafs are believed to be planning an aggressive offer for Tanev

Canucks' UFAs:
-main reason Joshua re-signed is because he decided he wanted to stay in Vancouver and lowered his asking price
-Canucks had increased their offer to Joshua over the past week
-Myers had no intention of leaving Vancouver but wanted them top get close to his open market value
-Canucks offers were in the low 2ms
-Mikheyev trade opened space to increase the Myers offer
-Canucks and Zadorov would still like to find common ground

Goalies:
-started talking to DeSmith's agent in the last 72 hours
-is a sudden shift in strategy
-had weeks of positive talks with Sawchenko but will now become UFA
-Silovs believes he's ready for the NHL full-time

Mikheyev Trade:
-had similar offers from Blackhawks and Sharks
-Sharks offer may not have had any retention
-Mikheyev preferred Chicago

Qualifying Offers:
-won't qualify McDonough
-will qualify Woo and are on track to re-sign him before the QO date
-has patched relationship with Klimovich and he'll return to Abbotsford
-key selling point to Klimovich was building a relationship with Malhotra

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

UFAs:
-Guentzel and Tanev remain the priority
-believed to have interest in other forwards including Toffoli and Stephenson
-one source suggested that if Guentzel is unavailable and Reinhart is, they'll take a swing at Reinhart
-Dallas is pushing to extend Tanev
-Maple Leafs are believed to be planning an aggressive offer for Tanev

Canucks' UFAs:
-main reason Joshua re-signed is because he decided he wanted to stay in Vancouver and lowered his asking price
-Canucks had increased their offer to Joshua over the past week
-Myers had no intention of leaving Vancouver but wanted them top get close to his open market value
-Canucks offers were in the low 2ms

-Mikheyev trade opened space to increase the Myers offer
-Canucks and Zadorov would still like to find common ground

Goalies:
-started talking to DeSmith's agent in the last 72 hours
-is a sudden shift in strategy
-had weeks of positive talks with Sawchenko but will now become UFA
-Silovs believes he's ready for the NHL full-time

Mikheyev Trade:
-had similar offers from Blackhawks and Sharks
-Sharks offer may not have had any retention
-Mikheyev preferred Chicago

Qualifying Offers:
-won't qualify McDonough
-will qualify Woo and are on track to re-sign him before the QO date

How do you go from an offer in low $2's to $3 million dollars? When you know he never wanted to leave.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

Qualifying Offers:

It's just got to be an edge of some kind to have coaches throughout the organization whom players want to play for.

If the Canucks were pursuing, say, a coveted NCAA free agent, they could do a lot worse than setting up a meeting with Malhotra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad