F Filip Zadina - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 6th, DET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't mind Zadina saying that stuff. But Veleno chirping is just downright comical.

I heard from people I trust that he was going to slid down the board but in a lot of ways Veleno slide was worse though not completely surprising. Also, nobody made a secret out of why, he doesn't have plus offense. To a kid that just finished top 10 in QMJHL scoring and third in the league in assists.... Well that has to be pretty startling to hear.

I guess it depends but there were a lot of talking heads limiting Veleno's potential on draft night. I am sure he has heard it from some people and it has to be pretty motivating to him.

It fits what we were told about the Wings liking these guys. They are pretty driven. Again that is probably important in terms of Larkin, Rasmussen, Zadina, Veleno being very driven hockey junkies. There is some losing in the future and they need to come out the other side of it. That is one of the things the Wings like about them, they think they will and might just get even a little better because of their drive to get away from losing. Now they could be wrong, but I at least see the narrative there in terms of what they are attempting.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He seems like a rink rat energetic guy. He has confidence, really with where the Wings will be when he first makes them he is going to need that self-belief. They have some bumpy years that he is likely to see a part of here.

One of the most classic draft decisions this century was the 49ers passing on Aaron Rodgers because he was "too arrogant and cocky." Whoops.

We all love the class acts of Yzerman and Lidstrom. How could you not? But let's not forget the swagger of Shanahan and Chelios. Or Mike Babcock being described as "a little on the cocky side" by owner Ilitch. And of course the Wings' most formidable rivals, players like Forsberg and Roy, with chips on their shoulders the size of the Rocky Mountains.

Young Zadina could be another punk that flames out like so many before him. Sure. And some here will laugh at him. Fair enough. But damn, I think we have enough examples in professional sports to know those "obnoxious" and "immature" kids can grow into some tremendous players. And in the case of guys like Ed Belfour, I'm not sure they ever grew up. I love this quote about him:

“Eddie had a chip on his shoulder, and in a positive way,” offers the great Blackhawks broadcaster Pat Foley. “Maybe it was because he was overlooked by everybody in the draft, which is amazing when you think about it. I mean, he won the NCAA championship at the University of North Dakota and played with Canada’s national team. When he settled in with the Blackhawks, he never played two bad games in a row. If he was off one night, he would come back the next game and be terrific. And he was the ultimate competitor.

“One night in Detroit, he covers a puck with his glove. Bob Probert of the Red Wings skates by the crease after the whistle and knees Eddie in the head. Eddie gets up, makes a beeline for the corner, winds up with his blocker and hits Probert with the waffle iron as hard as he can. Punches the toughest guy in the league right in the face. That was Eddie.”

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
People getting upset about his comments apparently forget that Datsyuk was considered one of the most humble payers in the league and still had some zingers.

... F*** I miss that guy.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
One of the most classic draft decisions this century was the 49ers passing on Aaron Rodgers because he was "too arrogant and cocky." Whoops.

We all love the class acts of Yzerman and Lidstrom. How could you not? But let's not forget the swagger of Shanahan and Chelios. Or Mike Babcock being described as "a little on the cocky side" by owner Ilitch. And of course the Wings' most formidable rivals, players like Forsberg and Roy, with chips on their shoulders the size of the Rocky Mountains.

Young Zadina could be another punk that flames out like so many before him. Sure. And some here will laugh at him. Fair enough. But damn, I think we have enough examples in professional sports to know those "obnoxious" and "immature" kids can grow into some tremendous players. And in the case of guys like Ed Belfour, I'm not sure they ever grew up. I love this quote about him:
Because this story about Eddie is so good, I had to look it up for the Youtube footage. I now bring that Youtube footage to this thread and hope it amuses you, as much as it does me. I also love how Bob McGill is fighting him, who is now a mainstay on Leafs TV, which makes it slightly more comical for me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It’s borderline obnoxious these kids saying teams are going to regret passing on them and he’s gonna fill their net with goals....shows the immaturity. Noah Dobson ain’t saying stuff like that, be humble and proud.
Wasnt Eichel saying he thinks hes better than McD and blabla?

Reactions: TimeZone

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Love the "prove people wrong" / "me against the world" attitude. Many prospects across different sports have said similar things or have showcased similar attitude to being taken later in drafts. Now he has to prove his words which will be good for the Wings' sake lol

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Only if you draft for immediate results.

I can assure you that nobody is this excited about picking Zadina because of immediate results. They are excited by the potential of having a player who could be a 30+, 40+ goal guy, year in year out. There's a better chance that Kotkaniemi never exceeds what Larkin has already become than there is of Zadina never becoming more than a depth scorer.

The Wings needed an injection of something elite, be it playmaking, scoring, or defense, doesn't matter. After Dahlin and Svechnikov, there were 3 players slated in the top 10 with an elite component of their game: Hughes' skating, Wahlstrom's shot, and Zadina's scoring ability (won't limit this to his shot). Zadina was best overall player with the best elite component to his game, so the pick was obvious.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Good on Detroit. I though the habs would draft Zadina, but they gambled on a younger player who fits the organisational need at center. Still think Zadina will become atleast a second line sniper in the nhl in the next few years.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I can assure you that nobody is this excited about picking Zadina because of immediate results. They are excited by the potential of having a player who could be a 30+, 40+ goal guy, year in year out. There's a better chance that Kotkaniemi never exceeds what Larkin has already become than there is of Zadina never becoming more than a depth scorer.

The Wings needed an injection of something elite, be it playmaking, scoring, or defense, doesn't matter. After Dahlin and Svechnikov, there were 3 players slated in the top 10 with an elite component of their game: Hughes' skating, Wahlstrom's shot, and Zadina's scoring ability (won't limit this to his shot). Zadina was best overall player with the best elite component to his game, so the pick was obvious.
Hes still a winger with little offensive impact and a one trick poney. Hes gonna score 30 im pretty sure, like 99.9 sure, but I still wouldve been mad to get another Pacioretty at 3, thats not how you build a team. All it does is take you from bottom feeder to bubble.

Also, youre sleeping on Boqvist if you dont think his shooting ability isnt elite and on par with the others, kid is gonna score 20 year in and out. Dobsons skating is elite too, and his ability to gain the zone is unrivaled in the draft, not even Dahlin touches it, IMO. Kotkaniemis anticipation is also an elite tool.

Zadina is not a better prospect than any of the real top 10 (IE not Tkachuk, Bouchard and Hayton)

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Hes still a winger with little offensive impact and a one trick poney. Hes gonna score 30 im pretty sure, like 99.9 sure, but I still wouldve been mad to get another Pacioretty at 3, thats not how you build a team. All it does is take you from bottom feeder to bubble.

Also, youre sleeping on Boqvist if you dont think his shooting ability isnt elite and on par with the others, kid is gonna score 20 year in and out. Dobsons skating is elite too, and his ability to gain the zone is unrivaled in the draft, not even Dahlin touches it, IMO. Kotkaniemis anticipation is also an elite tool.

Zadina is not a better prospect than any of the real top 10 (IE not Tkachuk, Bouchard and Hayton)

Zadina projects to be a much different player than Patches IMO. If he reaches that level I think most of us will be happy.

There are plenty of ways to build a good team and the Wings are just getting started. Adding a dynamic winger is not a negative in any sense.

Interesting take on the top prospects from the draft. Thing is, there are plenty of other people with the opposite opinion. I'm not sure where I stand, but only time will tell.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Zadina projects to be a much different player than Patches IMO. If he reaches that level I think most of us will be happy.

There are plenty of ways to build a good team and the Wings are just getting started. Adding a dynamic winger is not a negative in any sense.
Id say he might have even less impact than Pacioretty but anyhow, similar level.

And not its not bad, just like Tkachuk is not bad either, but when you have the chance to land a 1D, its not a move id make.

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Id say he might have even less impact than Pacioretty but anyhow, similar level.

And not its not bad, just like Tkachuk is not bad either, but when you have the chance to land a 1D, its not a move id make.

I see your point. The Wings should have plenty of other chances to draft a 1D, so jumping on an elite winger who fell in your lap is okay in my books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad