F Filip Zadina - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 6th, DET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This thread has gotten hilarious.

"One trick pony."

Hasn't pretty much every prospect report said he's very responsible defensively? Not only that, don't half the fans in the league call Ovechkin a one trick pony?

But he'll be nothing more than a poor man's MaxPac. Maybe we can get a couple "Maxpac for Zadina + 1st" threads like we've seen with Mantha.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

"One trick pony."

Hasn't pretty much every prospect report said he's very responsible defensively? Not only that, don't half the fans in the league call Ovechkin a one trick pony?

But he'll be nothing more than a poor man's MaxPac. Maybe we can get a couple "Maxpac for Zadina + 1st" threads like we've seen with Mantha.

Hes a one trick offensively, unless you think youve seen playmaking from him?

How many of you Wings fans are actually able to watch the Q daily? I wonder. Our Halifax resident on the Habs board all had the same things to say about Zadina, I wonder why.

Also, where was he ranked in his draft year?

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

"One trick pony."

It is interesting because that's the first time I've heard that be said about his game. To me he appears much more multifaceted in terms of the goal scoring department and plenty of experts agree. That's what I'm hoping for.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

"One trick pony."

He's not that responsible defensively. Maybe in the Q he was, but I don't think he played PK at the WJC and 5v5 he relied on his teammates to win the puck. In the few international friendlies for the senior Czech team he looked a bit lost defensively.
He is however not a one trick pony. Zadina oozes offensive talent, he thinks the game at really high level. Considering his shot is elite it makes sense he will mostly try to take shots, but that doesn't make him a one trick pony.
I would take any comments on Zadina coming from Montreal fans with grain of salt.

Reactions: Acadien86 and Rexor

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

How many of you Wings fans are actually able to watch the Q daily? I wonder. Our Halifax resident on the Habs board all had the same things to say about Zadina, I wonder why.

Even as a goal scoring winger you can have more than one "trick". I think you mean to say he's one dimensional? Two completely different things.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Hes still a winger with little offensive impact and a one trick poney. Hes gonna score 30 im pretty sure, like 99.9 sure, but I still wouldve been mad to get another Pacioretty at 3, thats not how you build a team. All it does is take you from bottom feeder to bubble.

Also, youre sleeping on Boqvist if you dont think his shooting ability isnt elite and on par with the others, kid is gonna score 20 year in and out. Dobsons skating is elite too, and his ability to gain the zone is unrivaled in the draft, not even Dahlin touches it, IMO. Kotkaniemis anticipation is also an elite tool.

Zadina is not a better prospect than any of the real top 10 (IE not Tkachuk, Bouchard and Hayton)

Oh, I'm not sleeping on Boqvist's offensive skill, but he was the only player in the consensus top 10 I wanted nothing to do with that early. I like my defensemen to be at least somewhat cognizant of their responsibility in their own zone, something that Boqvist has demonstrated virtually none of. I also have seen one dynamic Swede have his career and post-career life ruined through repeated head trauma with the Red Wings, and I prefer not to use a pick of this level on a player who will always have that cloud of doubt hanging over him.

Dobson was my first choice for the Wings personally, and I'm not dismissing the potential of these defenders, but the logic behind the Zadina is apparent. They picked the only player on the board who at this moment looks like he will a true impact player; a player who can steal a game for you on his own.

The major gripe I have with your take is that you are just assigning people "elite" tools based on what they do best. That doesn't make it an elite tool, it makes it their best tool. Look at it like this, if Hughes steps into the NHL right now, he is on the short list of best skaters in the NHL...Dobson is not. Dobson is a phenomenal skater, yes, but he isn't in the conversation with Hughes. Are you saying that Kotkaniemi can think the game and anticipate with the likes of McDavid, Crosby, Zetterberg, Thornton? I don't think he is at that level right now. The vision, anticipation, creativeness those players possess are elite and why two of them are producing at advanced ages, two of them are considered the two best players in hockey, and all 4 are surefire hall of famers. Now I'm not saying that Dobson and Kotkaniemi, or Bouchard/Tkachuk/Hayton/Boqvist, won't have great development and could easily be better than Zadina long term, but that isn't the point I'm making.

Flat out, Zadina delivers an element that nobody available after picks 1 and 2 could offer. His game and ability to score has an impact at the NHL level right now, and 10 years from now. That's something the Wings have been missing since Datsyuk and Zetterberg were in their prime...someone with game-breaking talent.

Reactions: Wooren

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It is interesting because that's the first time I've heard that be said about his game. To me he appears much more multifaceted in terms of the goal scoring department and plenty of experts agree. That's what I'm hoping for.
Hes scored an impressive number of goals in the hash marks, not necessarily a bad thing if you ask me, but it is a sign of limited offensive diversity. Hes a typical sniper, I dont see much else to his game. Valuable? Obviously. Kid might score forty one day. More valuablr than a 1D? Heck no.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia

He has the ability to make excellent passes but does need to make a little better decisions when it comes to getting rid of it sometimes. He does an excellent job on the forecheck and cycle, great possession player and has an unbelievable knack for finding open ice. I watched him nearly every game this year and I have full confidence that he's an effective playmaker.

Is this really a good example? The Hart winner was a goalie just two years ago, I guess that means goalies are at a premiumñ

You didn't provide evidence that wingers' value decreasing. They can obviously be of high value. 4 of the last 8 Hart winners were wingers.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Also, where was he ranked in his draft year?

One spot higher than Kotkaniemi. :thumbu:

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Hes scored an impressive number of goals in the hash marks, not necessarily a bad thing if you ask me, but it is a sign of limited offensive diversity. Hes a typical sniper, I dont see much else to his game. Valuable? Obviously. Kid might score forty one day. More valuablr than a 1D? Heck no.

Fair enough. I'd say scoring between the hashmarks is a good sign considering he can score in traffic. We'll see how it works out.

Calling these guys 1D's is a bit premature, even it helps your case. They all have plenty of warts as well.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He has the ability to make excellent passes but does need to make a little better decisions when it comes to getting rid of it sometimes. He does an excellent job on the forecheck and cycle, great possession player and has an unbelievable knack for finding open ice. I watched him nearly every game this year and I have full confidence that he's an effective playmaker.

You didn't provide evidence that wingers' value decreasing. They can obviously be of high value. 4 of the last 8 Hart winners were wingers.
An excellent job on the forecheck and cycle? He routinely got outmuscled in the Q and lost most of his battles.

And how many of those Hart winners would be traded for a top 20 center or top 20 D? Almost none.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Zadina is not a one-trick pony. His shot is elite, his passing is high-end, his creativity is awesome, and his work ethic is tops. This is a kid who volunteered to unpack the Halifax bus during a game he wasn't playing just so he felt like he could contribute something to the team. I fully expect Zadina to have prime Zach Parise level impact on the Wings. In 3 years, Habs and Yotes fans are going to lose their minds.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
He's not that responsible defensively. Maybe in the Q he was, but I don't think he played PK at the WJC and 5v5 he relied on his teammates to win the puck. In the few international friendlies for the senior Czech team he looked a bit lost defensively.
He is however not a one trick pony. Zadina oozes offensive talent, he thinks the game at really high level. Considering his shot is elite it makes sense he will mostly try to take shots, but that doesn't make him a one trick pony.
I would take any comments on Zadina coming from Montreal fans with grain of salt.

Agreed. I'd say that people often overrate his defensive game and underrate his passing.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Hes still a winger with little offensive impact and a one trick poney.

Look, you can be happy with your guy, Kotkaniemi is a very good prospect that fills a very important need for the Habs. A 1C (if Kotkaniemi can in fact become that) is more valuable than a 1W (if Zadina becomes that), but there's no need to come in here and spout nonsense about a player you obviously don't watch. Here's a pronman quote on Zadina:

"What I love about Zadina is how multi-dimensional he is. He can attack defenses by dangling through guys, he can protect pucks and drive around guys, and he can power his ways past defenders or utilize an inch of space to score from long-distance. He is a highly competitive player who gets high marks for his character and competes his butt off to win puck battles on the ice. He’s the complete package offensively and a potential difference maker on any given shift."

This is an essentially universal sentiment. He has a very complete offensive toolkit. Beyond that he does as much defensively as you'd expect from a winger. His hands are perhaps better than his shot (what I assume is the one trick you're referring to). He has good vision and makes the right pass more times than not even though he's a shoot-first player. He even shows flashes of that elite vision ability to find guys no one else knew was there. He's a very agile skater even if his straight-line speed is good but not great. What makes Zadina special isn't any one aspect of his game, but rather how complete he is while possessing some near elite tools. Suggesting he is a one trick pony just makes you look bad. Be happy with your pick, don't post in forums about players you don't know anything about.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
An excellent job on the forecheck and cycle? He routinely got outmuscled in the Q and lost most of his battles.

And how many of those Hart winners would be traded for a top 20 center or top 20 D? Almost none.

Stopped reading at “routinely outmuscled”.

Horrible player analysis.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Is this really a good example? The Hart winner was a goalie just two years ago, I guess that means goalies are at a premiumñ

What a bad retort. Ya good goalies are at a premium. He gave a good example that the league still values good wingers.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Zadina regularly drove the play in the Q for his line, he showed good chemistry with Necas while playing internationally too. I'm not sure I see a "one trick pony" here?

Why is he being compared to Pacioretty? I don't see it for play style or as a ceiling of his potential.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Look, you can be happy with your guy, Kotkaniemi is a very good prospect that fills a very important need for the Habs. A 1C (if Kotkaniemi can in fact become that) is more valuable than a 1W (if Zadina becomes that), but there's no need to come in here and spout nonsense about a player you obviously don't watch. Here's a pronman quote on Zadina:

"What I love about Zadina is how multi-dimensional he is. He can attack defenses by dangling through guys, he can protect pucks and drive around guys, and he can power his ways past defenders or utilize an inch of space to score from long-distance. He is a highly competitive player who gets high marks for his character and competes his butt off to win puck battles on the ice. He’s the complete package offensively and a potential difference maker on any given shift."

This is an essentially universal sentiment. He has a very complete offensive toolkit. Beyond that he does as much defensively as you'd expect from a winger. His hands are perhaps better than his shot (what I assume is the one trick you're referring to). He has good vision and makes the right pass more times than not even though he's a shoot-first player. He even shows flashes of that elite vision ability to find guys no one else knew was there. He's a very agile skater even if his straight-line speed is good but not great. What makes Zadina special isn't any one aspect of his game, but rather how complete he is while possessing some near elite tools. Suggesting he is a one trick pony just makes you look bad. Be happy with your pick, don't post in forums about players you don't know anything about.
Ive watched Zadina so many games thats kinds insulting. You can refer to the Habs board 2018 draft thread for proof about that.

As for his play aside from shooting Ill have to disagree. Hes good on thenrush though, thats for sure.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Ive watched Zadina so many games thats kinds insulting. You can refer to the Habs board 2018 draft thread for proof about that.

As for his play aside from shooting Ill have to disagree. Hes good on thenrush though, thats for sure.
Sorry if I insulted you. It's just that I strongly disagree with your take on the player. We'll have to just agree to disagree because I see a lot more in him than you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad