F Filip Zadina - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 6th, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Reactions: Acadien86

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He looked really thrilled to maybe be a part of the Canadiens. I would bring back Pleky one year to be his mentor and do the same thing he did with Lekhonen
giphy.webp

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Didn’t read much about Zadina because my team fell to 4th and there’s probably roughly a ~10% chance he slips on draft day (pulled that out of my ass). Outside of this shot people are saying is lethal, what else does he do well? He have skating and / or IQ to go with that shot? Defensive game? Playmaking ability?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Vanek has always had insane hands, hand eye coordination and net front presence. His shot was never near the top and compared to Zadina he skates in mud
Vanek's wrister was pretty deadly at times. I'd say the biggest difference between the two is actually the amount of effort put in around the ice. Zadina's isn't a great skater either. He tested something like 35th overall among the 40 something kids at the top prospects game in on-ice related drills.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Vanek's wrister was pretty deadly at times. I'd say the biggest difference between the two is actually the amount of effort put in around the ice. Zadina's isn't a great skater either. He tested something like 35th overall among the 40 something kids at the top prospects game in on-ice related drills.
It was 31st and it was in straightline skating. Zadina isn’t a speed demon, but he’s a very agile skater and his elusiveness on skates is what makes him dangerous, he doesn’t need to outspeed you because he can just go around you. His first goal against Canada at the WJC is the best example of that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It was 31st and it was in straightline skating. Zadina isn’t a speed demon, but he’s a very agile skater and his elusiveness on skates is what makes him dangerous, he doesn’t need to outspeed you because he can just go around you. His 2nd goal against Canada at the WJC is the best example of that.
It wasn't just straight-line skating. It was this list of drills combined into a common score with emphasis on certain things for position. This includes forward skating with and without the puck, backwards skating with and without the puck, reaction (players stop and start following a course with lights on which direction to go), there is a weave agility test with and without the puck and finally transistion agility with and without the puck.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
It wasn't just straight-line skating. It was this list of drills combined into a common score with emphasis on certain things for position. This includes forward skating with and without the puck, backwards skating with and without the puck, reaction (players stop and start following a course with lights on which direction to go), there is a weave agility test with and without the puck and finally transistion agility with and without the puck.
I tried to look it up but couldn’t find the stats.

Just look at him play, he never looks slow out there because he just weaves around everyone.

His skating is overlooked here just like it is for a guy like Vilardi. There are other snipers who are just above average skaters (Laine, Tarasenko, Boeser) and get around just fine.

Reactions: HankyZetts

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I tried to look it up but couldn’t find the stats.

Just look at him play, he never looks slow out there because he just weaves around everyone.

His skating is overlooked here just like it is for a guy like Vilardi. There are other snipers who are just above average skaters (Laine, Tarasenko, Boeser) and get around just fine.
I've seen him a bunch. While I don't think he's as bad as his test scores, I also don't think he's an above-average skater when projecting to the NHL level. He's more of a time and place guy who finds great spots to score than a guy who gets around everyone whether it be by weaving or burning past them.

I'm not saying he isn't worth the third pick or that skating will significantly hold him back, but he has a fair amount of similarities with Vanek in how he scores and his skill-set.

Also, Vilardi's skating was bad (and still isn't good), but I also would have taken him 3rd overall last year due to his ability to create space using his strength on the puck. Zadina is fairly strong on the puck, and as a sniper doesn't really need to buy much time. Bad skating or average skating is more of a serious knock for guys who are playmakers who need time on the puck and aren't strong enough on the puck to buy it that way like Thornton, or Getzlaf for example.

Reactions: schnapshot

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I've seen him a bunch. While I don't think he's as bad as his test scores, I also don't think he's an above-average skater when projecting to the NHL level. He's more of a time and place guy who finds great spots to score than a guy who gets around everyone whether it be by weaving or burning past them.
Sounds similar to someone like Boeser who rarely burns defenders but finds open spaces and is money from the dot.

Reactions: NHL

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
He plays nothing like Boeser.
How?

Same size, both good lateral skaters but not speedy ones, both good hands and underrated playmaking ability, both tenacious on the puck and elite shooters. Which aspect do you find nothing alike? Flow?

Oh and Boeser had one goal in 7 games at the WJC at 19 while Zadina had 7 in 7 at 18. Not to say Zadina is or will be better than Boeser but to put things in perspective.

Reactions: Acadien86

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
How?

Same size, both good lateral skaters but not speedy ones, both good hands and underrated playmaking ability, both tenacious on the puck and elite shooters. Which aspect do you find nothing alike? Flow?

Oh and Boeser had one goal in 7 games at the WJC at 19 while Zadina had 7 in 7 at 18. Not to say Zadina is or will be better than Boeser but to put things in perspective.
I personally just haven't seen Zadina scoring this year from the same areas that Boeser was scoring from this season in the NHL. I'm not trying to put him down or anything saying that I've watched him a ton this year in Halifax. He scores a lot of his goals from the circle in by just finding the quite spots where as Boeser is a threat the second he enters the zone off the rush. Zadina could develop that I suppose but I don't see it right now.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How?

Boeser had 1 in 7 as an 18-year-old. He missed the one when he was 19 to a wrist injury. I know because it burned me in my WJC pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad