F Filip Zadina - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 6th, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Zadina is ranked top 3 by almost everybody. Top 3 picks are not picked on team's need. Maybe tell the leafs' next GM to trade up for a top 3 pick and draft one of those defenseman you're drooling all over?
dont know what the leafs have to do with this.

Also draft rankings get it wrong all the time, just because Zadina is ranked 3 everywhere does not mean he is the 3rd best choice. The D men(Bouchard, Boqvist, Hughes) have higher ceilings, thats my opinion.

Its not just Zadina...Im not positive that Svechnikov turns out to be a better NHler than these 3 d men. That being said i have no doubt Carolina takes Svechnkiov they have a boatload of d men.

Last edited by a moderator:

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
To me, Zadina's shot release looks very similar to Tarasenko's. Not the hardest shot but he has unusual foot positioning and stick blade angle, which makes it very hard for goaltenders to track the puck. That is something that should translate well to the pro's IMO.

Reactions: Fixxer

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
dont know what the leafs have to do with this.

If im Montreal i dont think im taking this guy. As much as i like him i believe that Montreal is in a position where they need to build the core of their team. Thats Centers and Defenseman. Unfortunately there are no great C options in this draft. I would say you take the D man that will improve your D core for years to come...Boqvist/Bouchard for Montreal would be smartest IMO.

The habs don't need to draft another defenseman not named Rasmus Dahlin with their 1st pick. Our future on the blueline is looking good, cannot say the same for our forwards. The leafs on the other hand would love to draft a blue chip defenseman prospect.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
The habs don't need to draft another defenseman not named Rasmus Dahlin with their 1st pick. Our future on the blueline is looking good, cannot say the same for our forwards. The leafs on the other hand would love to draft a blue chip defenseman prospect.
Mete and Juulsen are your only young defenders and both project as second pairing guys at best. Weber is aging. The future on your blue line may not be as good as you think.

Either way you dont draft for need, BUT regardless of need a defender or Center is always more valuable than a winger if both are equally talented. And in the case of Boqvist, Hughes, Bouchard they are equally talented as Zadina in my eyes but are able to help the team more from that crucial position. I think Zadina will be a good goal scorer but these guys all have the potential to be top pairing puck movers, PP qbs and shutdown defenders.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Mete and Juulsen are your only young defenders and both project as second pairing guys at best. Weber is aging. The future on your blue line may not be as good as you think.

Either way you dont draft for need, BUT regardless of need a defender or Center is always more valuable than a winger if both are equally talented. And in the case of Boqvist, Hughes, Bouchard they are equally talented as Zadina in my eyes but are able to help the team more from that crucial position. I think Zadina will be a good goal scorer but these guys all have the potential to be top pairing puck movers, PP qbs and shutdown defenders.

Josh Brooks look amazing this year and he project to be a 2nd pairing defenceman pretty easily. Cale Fleury was one of the best defenceman in the WHL this season.

Reactions: Acadien86

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

What? We have this young stud drafted in 2016... Serg... oh.

No but seriously, the Habs spent a whole draft worth of picks last year on defenders. Brooks, Fleury, Tsyzka, walford, Juulsen, Mete all look pretty good right now. Its actually one of the Habs only strength, they need forwards.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
What? We have this young stud drafted in 2016... Serg... oh.

No but seriously, the Habs spent a whole draft worth of picks last year on defenders. Brooks, Fleury, Tsyzka, walford, Juulsen, Mete all look pretty good right now. Its actually one of the Habs only strength, they need forwards.

Habs are in a position where they just need to get the best talent, BPA period.....shouldn't worry too much about size or position....even if they have a gigantic gap up the middle.

While I do think there's a good chance the best player after #1/#2 ends up being a later pick this year....Zadina is a safer pick than anyone at #3 IMO. Would be surprised if Timmins doesn't take him. He can't really afford to screw this one up.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Habs are in a position where they just need to get the best talent, BPA period.....shouldn't worry too much about size or position....even if they have a gigantic gap up the middle.

While I do think there's a good chance the best player after #1/#2 ends up being a later pick this year....Zadina is a safer pick than anyone at #3 IMO. Would be surprised if Timmins doesn't take him. He can't really afford to screw this one up.

Yeah, one things for sure is that the Habs are getting a blue chip prospect and its going to feel good.

Reactions: NoQuinn

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I have a question for those who have seen both play.

What sets Zadina apart from a guy like Michael Dal Colle who went top 5, had skating issues, good size and a good shot?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Also draft rankings get it wrong all the time, just because Zadina is ranked 3 everywhere does not mean he is the 3rd best choice. The D men(Bouchard, Boqvist, Hughes) have higher ceilings, thats my opinion.
I like Boqvist more too, but the other two are extremely questionable. Bouchard's skating and defensive play is pretty bad. He has the same issues I had with Sergachev except its more extreme, and at least Sergachev is a much better skater. Hughes is questionable in the sense that you have no idea how his game will translate in the NHL, no dman plays the game like that. Boqvist had his 2nd concussion of the year, so that is something to be concerned with. While I don't think Zadina will end up being a superstar, his game will also translate MUCH better than those guys.

MichalRozsival

Apr 29, 2018
His play reminds me a lot of Artemi Panarin. Great shot, nice passing, and his eyes are always looking for a play. Don't mess this up Bergevin.

Rusty8719

Feb 21, 2018
For me, I see something along the lines of a Radulov, Palffy, Demitra. Dyanmic in the offensive zone and around the net, shoot first player with good passing skills, doesn't necessarily have the world class speed like a Hall or Tarasenko to be an absolute force leading the rush (at least for now).

I think he has a ton of potential but what I like most is that he has a high floor, imo. At worst, he's going to give Jordan Eberle like production (consistent goal scoring) and is a very nice complementary piece to your superstar.

Reactions: MichalRozsival

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I like Boqvist more too, but the other two are extremely questionable. Bouchard's skating and defensive play is pretty bad. He has the same issues I had with Sergachev except its more extreme, and at least Sergachev is a much better skater. Hughes is questionable in the sense that you have no idea how his game will translate in the NHL, no dman plays the game like that. Boqvist had his 2nd concussion of the year, so that is something to be concerned with. While I don't think Zadina will end up being a superstar, his game will also translate MUCH better than those guys.
Bouchards skating isnt really an issue, hes not the fastest guy but he doesnt need to be. Bouchard has had some issues defensively but he will develop in that way. Bouchard reminds me a ton of Pietrangelo, i think he can become a similar player. Hughes is amazing defensively which is what will set him apart from other small speedy defense man. Boqvist is extremely smart in his puck movement and has great hands and a lethal shot. All have legit top pairing potential...You dont turn down legit top pairing potential for a complimentary sniper even if his game is very well rounded.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Bouchards skating isnt really an issue, hes not the fastest guy but he doesnt need to be. Bouchard has had some issues defensively but he will develop in that way. Bouchard reminds me a ton of Pietrangelo, i think he can become a similar player. Hughes is amazing defensively which is what will set him apart from other small speedy defense man. Boqvist is extremely smart in his puck movement and has great hands and a lethal shot. All have legit top pairing potential...You dont turn down legit top pairing potential for a complimentary sniper even if his game is very well rounded.

I wouldn't be so quick to call Zadina a complimentary sniper. He has great vision and playmaking ability which makes me wonder why one would labal him as a complimentary player. I consider complimentary players as players who are not really involve with the play, which is not the case with Zadina.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I wouldn't be so quick to call Zadina a complimentary sniper. He has great vision and playmaking ability which makes me wonder why one would labal him as a complimentary player. I consider complimentary players as players who are not really involve with the play, which is not the case with Zadina.
Max Pacioretty is the perfect example of a complimentary player.

Zadina has a lot more going for him, notably his hands, playmaking ability and his motor. Without being physical, he's also relentless on the puck.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Bouchard skating is 100% an issue and you can't compare him to Pietrangelo when he can't defend. Hughes is far from amazing defensively, he makes super dumb decisions in the defensive zone, and more often than not someone has to cover for him. That won't work in the NHL. Won't disagree about Boqvist, he is probably better than Zadina, but with concussions issues, you don't really NEED to risk it. Zadina is probably the safest player of them and he will be a top line winger.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Svech relies a lot on physically dominating weaker competition in a way that won’t be as feasible in the NHL. Zadina relies more on hockey IQ which is more translatable.
Svech and Zadina are very close. Only thing im arguing is that some d men should be considered in the top 3.

Reactions: NoQuinn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad