F Filip Zadina - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 6th, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I personally just haven't seen Zadina scoring this year from the same areas that Boeser was scoring from this season in the NHL. I'm not trying to put him down or anything saying that I've watched him a ton this year in Halifax. He scores a lot of his goals from the circle in by just finding the quite spots where as Boeser is a threat the second he enters the zone off the rush. Zadina could develop that I suppose but I don't see it right now.
Right now, obviously Boeser is the better player since he is older, but I’d be curious to see how Zadina develops and how he’ll look in the NHL three years removed from his draft.

Boeser has a better one-timer but after watching all of Boeser’s goal this season, I find that they’re very much alike in the way that they play. They both are east-west players as soon as they enter the O-zone and their stickhandling allows them to buy time to either pass it to an open teammate or find enough space to shoot. They have pretty much the same wrist shot release where they go for toe to heel and fire very quickly by pulling the puck back.

They’re also great at finding open spaces and waiting quietly for a rebound or pass to come their way in the O-zone. And they’re both not afraid of going to the net and burying greasy rebounds.

Their hands and lateral skating ability allow them both to manoeuver in the O-zone without being stripped of the puck (both are great at puck protection too), contrarily to a guy like Max Pac who has tons of speed off the rush but no hands and not much agility or a guy like Kessel who tries to burn the defender by going outside and coming back in at the dot.
He will be a Big Bust. Not good enough for NHL play. Looks like Yamahato.
Thanks for the detailed analysis. You must know your prospects pretty well if you can't spell their names correctly.

Last edited:

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Ya know the Boeser comparison isn't that bad. Boeser plays a more mature game and actually looks like an NHL veteran by times. In a couple years Zadina may develop to be a lot like Boeser. By then the only thing separating them may be their hockey IQ

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Why is Zadina getting so much hype? His numbers aren't that impressive...Ehlers had superior numbers in every way in his draft year, and was taken 9th overall. Was the 2014 draft seen as that much deeper before hand than this one? Honestly, after watching all of them, I hope the Habs take Kotkaniemi or Bouchard at 3rd overall.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Why is Zadina getting so much hype? His numbers aren't that impressive...Ehlers had superior numbers in every way in his draft year, and was taken 9th overall. Was the 2014 draft seen as that much deeper before hand than this one? Honestly, after watching all of them, I hope the Habs take Kotkaniemi or Bouchard at 3rd overall.
“Not that impressive”

57B8B258-EF81-4561-BD4E-AAB48721CB62.jpeg

6ACC3155-483A-4163-9FB7-570CBC42DA72.jpeg

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Thanks for that. Your take on the question? What separates him from a guy like Ehlers in their draft years? As for the list and Hischier comparison: Hischier is a center known for his 2-way play and playmaking, so it's not impressive that Zad beats him in goalscoring. Same thing with Dubois. He is in company with the rest of them, and he is way more hyped. So?

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Vanek is a much worse skater and not as good a shooter as Zadina though.
possibly ... still Vanek's style is closer if not a match. Hossa is a horse and is a 2 way force that can really skate. He reminds me of Tolvanen more than either Hossa or Vanek

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Forget about the stats. The only thing that Ehlers and Zadina have in commom is that they both play hockey. Once in a while you have to do the eye test yourself instead of just going with stat checks. Zadina is a very good young hockey player and deserves to be in the talks for third overall.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Forget about the stats. The only thing that Ehlers and Zadina have in commom is that they both play hockey. Once in a while you have to do the eye test yourself instead of just going with stat checks. Zadina is a very good young hockey player and deserves to be in the talks for third overall.
My question was more about how they compare in terms of upside, I wasn't comparing them stylistically. Once in a while you have to actually read the post instead of responding with cliches and assumptions. Maybe answer the question if you are going to reply to it?

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
My question was more about how they compare in terms of upside, I wasn't comparing them stylistically. Once in a while you have to actually read the post instead of responding with cliches and assumptions. Maybe answer the question if you are going to reply to it?
Well I really thought that I answered what was asked. I'm not up on modern English and in the 60's there were no read between the lines classes. If there was I probably would have failed. Have a good one Garbageman

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Look at the linemates they had.
Zadina played with a 7th round pick guy and an undrafted dude.
Ehlers played with Drouin...

Zadina was the best player on his team, ehlers was not.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Ehlers was 5’11, 165 lbs and considered undersized. He generates a lot of his offense through speed. Being an undersized speedy winger putting up big numbers in the CHL will draw a lot of doubters.

Zadina put up the same goal per game and similar points but he is 6’0”, 195 lbs. He generates his offense as a pure slot-sniper with good 4-way agility. He also battles hard on the boards and in traffic. It isn’t surprising that being NHL sized at 18 with an NHL skillset that Zadina would receive more hype. As an example You can see in the same 2014 Ehlers Draft that Jake Virtanen went #6 with a more Pro-Style game (similar to Zadina) but comparably much worse stats than Zadina. You combine the Ehlers-level stats, the size, and the NHL-style skillset and you have a top-3 pick.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

wouldn't say "so much" hype, he's just one of the top 3 players and tsn's sportsnet will try to find players to talk about and it's those 3 guys.

In terms of Ehlers, Ehlers had Drouin as a teammate, certainly helped his numbers. The Following year he had Mier to play with. Zadina has really nobody to run up his stats with. Give him a Drouin and Zadina would have ripped the QMJHL apart. Zadina also has the highest (shot contribution to his team) among CHL draft eligibles fowards, higher then Svech. in other words his team is getting more shots on goal when he's out on the ice then when Svechnikov is for his linemates. Truly a Grade A offensive generating machine.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
wouldn't say "so much" hype, he's just one of the top 3 players and tsn's sportsnet will try to find players to talk about and it's those 3 guys.

In terms of Ehlers, Ehlers had Drouin as a teammate, certainly helped his numbers. The Following year he had Mier to play with. Zadina has really nobody to run up his stats with. Give him a Drouin and Zadina would have ripped the QMJHL apart. Zadina also has the highest (shot contribution to his team) among CHL draft eligibles fowards, higher then Svech. in other words his team is getting more shots on goal when he's out on the ice then when Svechnikov is for his linemates. Truly a Grade A offensive generating machine.

Exactly. Ehlers had Drouin's 2.35 points per game to play with him and a better team all around. Halifax had a lot of players back who won the CHL the year before.

This season's Mooseheads were very young.

Ehlers without Drouin in 2013-14: 1.44 ppg
With Drouin: 1.70 ppg

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Ehlers was 5’11, 165 lbs and considered undersized. He generates a lot of his offense through speed. Being an undersized speedy winger putting up big numbers in the CHL will draw a lot of doubters.

Zadina put up the same goal per game and similar points but he is 6’0”, 195 lbs. He generates his offense as a pure slot-sniper with good 4-way agility. He also battles hard on the boards and in traffic. It isn’t surprising that being NHL sized at 18 with an NHL skillset that Zadina would receive more hype. As an example You can see in the same 2014 Ehlers Draft that Jake Virtanen went #6 with a more Pro-Style game (similar to Zadina) but comparably much worse stats than Zadina. You combine the Ehlers-level stats, the size, and the NHL-style skillset and you have a top-3 pick.
That makes sense. Thanks for the breakdown. I never watched Ehlers as a junior, so that's why I was asking.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Zadina is way more high octane than Vanek. The only thing they have in common is they are both brilliant goal scorers, but they do it in different ways. Vanek is a beast in the paint and will take a beating like Holmstrom and Franzen. He has very good hands, but more so with rebounds, deflections, shots in close. But Vanek is slowish, plodding, and clunky with his approach. Zadina is full motor, razzle dazzle player with a lightning release that reminds me more of Heatley than Vanek. Current NHL comparables are Forsberg and Rakell, in terms of firing lasers from the circles. Like Rakell, Zadina is also a very clever playmaker who thinks the game well. I don't see much Hossa in him - especially the 200 foot Hossa who was a bull crashing the net and in the corners. Hossa was a big, strong man - Zadina is stocky and compact, but short. He's very similar to Heatley, just a lefty and about 4 inches shorter. Then again, Heatley wasn't an overly physical player.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I love people who make comments without doing even the most basic fact checking.

Zadina....at 17.....6' 1" and 192 pounds

Hossa...adult.....6'1" and 207 pounds

Zadina will "settle" somewhere in the 210 range as a mid 20's adult. Of course I would prefer that he was a 6'4" and 230 pound beast, but as the NHL gets faster, he's got plenty of size.

Filip Zadina - Elite Prospects
Marian Hossa hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Reactions: Habssince89

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
I love people who make comments without doing even the most basic fact checking.

Zadina....at 17.....6' 1" and 192 pounds

Hossa...adult.....6'1" and 207 pounds

Zadina will "settle" somewhere in the 210 range as a mid 20's adult. Of course I would prefer that he was a 6'4" and 230 pound beast, but as the NHL gets faster, he's got plenty of size.

Filip Zadina - Elite Prospects
Marian Hossa hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

I don't believe Zadina is 6'1''... looks more like 5'11'' to me. Let's wait for the combine measurements.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I don't believe Zadina is 6'1''... looks more like 5'11'' to me. Let's wait for the combine measurements.

I've seen him live with front seat tickets, he is a big guy. Pretty sure he is over 6'.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
ehlers was set for success in the Q. strong team with drouin. insane speed and skillset. unfortunately he is not a very smart hockey player at all so it was a bit of a worry going into the draft. also, wasnt very big

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad