F Filip Zadina - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 6th, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Wow he doesn’t have elite speed, please tell me he at least has high hockey IQ right?

High yes, but not elite. His shot is elite. He has strong puck skills, but his lack of speed limits is puck-moving ability, particularly when he is going to go up the levels.

Last edited:

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
People are really making an obsession with speed... He’s an above-average skater and he’s very agile, just not a quick straightline skater but if you have agility you don’t need to be.

Just look at his highlights and come back to tell me he looks slow, really...

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
People are really making an obsession with speed... He’s an above-average skater and he’s very agile, just not a quick straightline skater but if you have agility you don’t need to be.

Just look at his highlights and come back to tell me he looks slow, really...

It’s like Jeff Skinner. Great agility, but isn’t going to win the fastest skater competition. It’s not a hindrance.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
A big part of the issue for the Habs is the lack of an elite playmaker, or at least a guy who can generate offense for himself. Zadina is not and would be lost on this team if they can't trade for one. If they're planning on a short term rebuild, he's not their guy. There's no way Carolina is not taking Svechnikov so forget about it. Wouldn't be a huge surprise to see Zadina slip to 5th or 6th. With the right team, he'll pile up a lot of points!

Lol you think 7th rounder Otto Somppi is an elite playmaker? That line is all Zadina.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
At the NHL level i believe he will be a productive first line player. But he wont be the guy driving his line, he will be a part of a good line...But i think he will need to be playing with good players to be effective. I think he will also benefit from a heavy line that can sustain pressure in the offensive zone. E.G The Bruins top line.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
If im Montreal i dont think im taking this guy. As much as i like him i believe that Montreal is in a position where they need to build the core of their team. Thats Centers and Defenseman. Unfortunately there are no great C options in this draft. I would say you take the D man that will improve your D core for years to come...Boqvist/Bouchard for Montreal would be smartest IMO.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
At the NHL level i believe he will be a productive first line player. But he wont be the guy driving his line, he will be a part of a good line...But i think he will need to be playing with good players to be effective. I think he will also benefit from a heavy line that can sustain pressure in the offensive zone. E.G The Bruins top line.
This is pretty fair. He isn't a driver, more of a give and go kind of guy. But he can rip the puck, and we need a goalscorer.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Im just telling you who I’d hate to have to play against more, and that’s a big tough crease crashing jerk with good hands and great hockey sense like Tkachuk
I would personally hate it more if my rival had an elite scorer who keeps scoring against my team rather than someone who throws body checks...

Reactions: NoQuinn

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
This is totally wrong

Okay. It’s pretty clear who drives the line. Funny how Zadina’s production doesn’t go down when he plays for the international team either yet Somppi is the most average player elsewhere.

Apocalypse Dude

"Value"
Jul 25, 2012
Nova Scotia
To the Mooseheads fans:

Obviously different players/playing different positions, but who do you think had more impact as a player during his time in Halifax?

Hischier or Zadina?

I agree with the other poster who quoted you and said Hischier. For now anyway. If Zadina is back next year (which I think he will) then I could see him putting up big numbers which would put him above Hischier.

Zadina looks great and has great offensive potential but I dont think he'll step in to the NHL and look as good as Hischier has though FWIW.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I agree with the other poster who quoted you and said Hischier. For now anyway. If Zadina is back next year (which I think he will) then I could see him putting up big numbers which would put him above Hischier.

Zadina looks great and has great offensive potential but I dont think he'll step in to the NHL and look as good as Hischier has though FWIW.
They are different players, Hischier is a two speed demon centerman. Zadina is a top flight goal scorer.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Okay. It’s pretty clear who drives the line. Funny how Zadina’s production doesn’t go down when he plays for the international team either yet Somppi is the most average player elsewhere.
You’re a stat watcher

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You’re a stat watcher

I’ve seen them quite a few times. Somppi is a fine player but Zadina is the star.

Either way my point was to counter the notion that Zadina needs an elite playmaker to be productive, which isn’t the case.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I’ve seen them quite a few times. Somppi is a fine player but Zadina is the star.

Either way my point was to counter the notion that Zadina needs an elite playmaker to be productive, which isn’t the case.

Yeah, he's quite capable of producing offense on his own, perhaps tries to do too much sometimes at the junior level.

If he gets an elite playmaker, like he had with Necas at the WJC, than he can play at an exceptional level.

Dongstoppable

Oct 12, 2017
Zadina has an elite skillset and he goes to the net and scores pro goals. That's what I love about him. He is aggressive around the net but has the skill to roof it from insane angels, and he's always looking for deflections and rebounds. He's going to translate to the NHL really easily I think. Star potential and I'm stoked to get him at 3... Please let's not f*** this up.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016

I'll do this at the U-18 intermission. Somppi is to Zadina what Necas is to Zadina. While Zadina was at the world juniors Somppi went on a tear that took the Mooseheads to 1st in the Quebec league. Somppi has become an elite junior playmaker in his draft +1 year. He drives the line Zadina finishes. When Somppi was injured through the playoffs Zadina did his best to drive his line. His frustration was obvious. Forwards and dmen were stepping up on him and his shots normally ended up in the corners. He needs another year in Halifax to develop. Playmaking right now is not his strength. Next year if he's back he should be more of a playmaker because Lavoie will be the trigger man. Lavoie has a much harder shot. The Zadina Somppi Lavoie line was incredibly successful and the Mooseheads may still be in the playoffs if coach Midgley had kept that line intacted. He didn't he lost his job.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I am not sure if he will ever really be able to drive his own line in the NHL But as the player that is attached to your number one centre he will be absolutely amazing. If he is picked by Montreal they should probably keep him from the NHL next year though.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
His skating is fine. It's not great, but it's not below average either. I think putting a negative emphasis on that is overstating an issue that isn't even really an issue. His skating won't be a hindrance for him at the NHL level.

If he works on improving his edgework over the next couple of years, it will help him a lot on that side of his game.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
A big part of the issue for the Habs is the lack of an elite playmaker, or at least a guy who can generate offense for himself. Zadina is not and would be lost on this team if they can't trade for one. If they're planning on a short term rebuild, he's not their guy. There's no way Carolina is not taking Svechnikov so forget about it. Wouldn't be a huge surprise to see Zadina slip to 5th or 6th. With the right team, he'll pile up a lot of points!

Drouin.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I really doubt Timmins will pass over Zadina at 3. There is a drop of talent after the 3rd pick. You don't get to pick a top 3 talent every day, so you don't pass over the chance just because he doesn't fill the short term need. That would just be stupid.

Reactions: monsieurthibz

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
If im Montreal i dont think im taking this guy. As much as i like him i believe that Montreal is in a position where they need to build the core of their team. Thats Centers and Defenseman. Unfortunately there are no great C options in this draft. I would say you take the D man that will improve your D core for years to come...Boqvist/Bouchard for Montreal would be smartest IMO.
If we had the 4th or 5th pick, I would agree. However especially when you have a top 3 pick, you take the best player available, regardless of position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad