F Brayden Yager - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2023, 14th, PIT; traded to WPG)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
That's why a lot of us here have said to load up on 2023 draft picks, because it's so deep.

Montreal is ahead of the game and have Florida's unprotected. Imagine starting a team with Bedard and Yager.
Agreed, he can shoot the lights out and is a phenomenal skater. Could score 45-50 goals and go top 10 for sure. Canada alone could have 16-17 first round picks this year, so stacked. Elite 05’s and and high end 04’s as well

Reactions: Bubbles

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I see the hype and I think he's a pretty good prospect, but I don't know that I think he's some guy with NHL superstar potential. Probably a good bet to be a 1B or 2A type of center. He reminds me a little of Shane Wright, but a few inches shorter and probably not as good. Other than the shot I don't know that I think anything sticks out about his game. He's good in a lot of areas. Probably no real weakness. Top 10, likely. Top 5, possible but I wouldn't say I think it's some lock.
Agreed, well said. I see some Dylan cozens to his game as well, but obviously not the same size. He’s an elite shooter off the rush and on the PP. don’t really see high end vision or playmaking. Great skater with a powerful stride, closes on players in a hurry. I hope he can grow an inch or two, he does look a bit small. I think he’s ultimately a very good top 6 forward that can score 35+ goals in his prime.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Agreed, well said. I see some Dylan cozens to his game as well, but obviously not the same size. He’s an elite shooter off the rush and on the PP. don’t really see high end vision or playmaking. Great skater with a powerful stride, closes on players in a hurry. I hope he can grow an inch or two, he does look a bit small. I think he’s ultimately a very good top 6 forward that can score 35+ goals in his prime.
I thought about that comparison also. It makes some sense, but as you say Cozens without being 6'3.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think ppl are underrating his offensive tools with comps to guys like Cozens and Reilly Smith. And I don't see Patches, who is more of a power forward (also, Yager well ahead of same-age Patches). Yager has an elite shot, is an excellent skater, strong hockey IQ, very good/quick hands. Really dangerous bearing down on defenders off the rush, he's a guy who applies a lot of pressure with the puck and is hard to stop. Fairly north/south player, but elusive with quick/decisive/well-timed moves, that tends to translate well to the NHL.

Personally I think his D-1 season is VERY similar to Tyler Seguin's D-1 season, in terms of both play style/tools and ability/impact. Whether he can take a big step forward in his draft year, like Seguin did, is TBD, but I can certainly see it happening. I can see why people compare him to MacKinnon, speedy centre who wears 29 with a very complete offensive skillset, their skating stride/stance and moves with the puck do look visually similar. But MacKinnon at the same age was more of a phenom, stronger/more physical/more explosive, and more of a playmaker. To me he's a lot more similar to Seguin.

Yager could do with some bulking up, he's a bit skinny at the moment, but I believe Seguin was similar size wise at the same age. Seguin was 6'1" 172 lbs at the combine (now 6'1" 200 lbs), while Yager was 6' 161 lbs a year before the combine, he could certainly be right around 6'1" 172 lbs at the combine.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think ppl are underrating his offensive tools with comps to guys like Cozens and Reilly Smith. And I don't see Patches, who is more of a power forward (also, Yager well ahead of same-age Patches). Yager has an elite shot, is an excellent skater, strong hockey IQ, very good/quick hands. Really dangerous bearing down on defenders off the rush, he's a guy who applies a lot of pressure with the puck and is hard to stop. Fairly north/south player, but elusive with quick/decisive/well-timed moves, that tends to translate well to the NHL.

Personally I think his D-1 season is VERY similar to Tyler Seguin's D-1 season, in terms of both play style/tools and ability/impact. Whether he can take a big step forward in his draft year, like Seguin did, is TBD, but I can certainly see it happening. I can see why people compare him to MacKinnon, speedy centre who wears 29 with a very complete offensive skillset, their skating stride/stance and moves with the puck do look visually similar. But MacKinnon at the same age was more of a phenom, stronger/more physical/more explosive, and more of a playmaker. To me he's a lot more similar to Seguin.

Yager could do with some bulking up, he's a bit skinny at the moment, but I believe Seguin was similar size wise at the same age. Seguin was 6'1" 172 lbs at the combine (now 6'1" 200 lbs), while Yager was 6' 161 lbs a year before the combine, he could certainly be right around 6'1" 172 lbs at the combine.
I kinda like this comp. It’s a high mark to shoot for (younger fans are already going to forget how good Seguin in his prime/pre-injury was…a franchise center and probably top 5 center in the league) - but not so high that it doesn’t seem feasible. The physical profile seems reasonable. It’ll take more really strong development from Yager but there’s definitely a lot to be bullish on with him. He’s not the absolute man child Fantilli is but I think I like his projection a touch better.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I kinda like this comp. It’s a high mark to shoot for (younger fans are already going to forget how good Seguin in his prime/pre-injury was…a franchise center and probably top 5 center in the league) - but not so high that it doesn’t seem feasible. The physical profile seems reasonable. It’ll take more really strong development from Yager but there’s definitely a lot to be bullish on with him. He’s not the absolute man child Fantilli is but I think I like his projection a touch better.
Yeah, I think Seguin is more of an upside than an expected outcome. Seguin had a great draft year, and then developed really well in the NHL. But to me their games/tools are very similar, as are/were their D-1 performances.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
That's why a lot of us here have said to load up on 2023 draft picks, because it's so deep.

Montreal is ahead of the game and have Florida's unprotected. Imagine starting a team with Bedard and Yager.
true. but we've already started with caufield, Slafkovsky, Suzuki, an improving Dach and Guhle, etc.
Even one of these guys will help
;)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Interesting - on Bob's list, Yager is listed at 5'10.5", 162 lbs. But the WHL (and everywhere else I've seen) list him at 6', 166 lbs. I wonder how tall he actually is?

He looks decently tall out there to my eyes, he's skinny but looks legit 6' to me.

Reactions: Dominance

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Interesting - on Bob's list, Yager is listed at 5'10.5", 162 lbs. But the WHL (and everywhere else I've seen) list him at 6', 166 lbs. I wonder how tall he actually is?

He looks decently tall out there to my eyes, he's skinny but looks legit 6' to me.

Bob's/TSN's 2023 list looked really inaccurate in terms of prospect sizes this year. I'd go by other places imo.

Reactions: ponder

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

Apparently he's shrunk because he was 5'11 already his WHL draft year....He's at least 6 ft maybe a tad more

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad