Value of: extended Debrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Lol you clearly do not understand some very basic premises. Have a great day

What "premises" are those? AFAICT you don't have any premise other than ignoring the fact Debrincats QO all but guarantees the Sens have to overpay him to retain his RFA rights. Overpaid players, even if it's just a modest overpay have much more limited trade value.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Except what Blackhawks fans have been telling you all he hardly played with Kane in his first 3 seasons. He wasnt in his top 5 of most frequent linemates then. Where he was good play driver, shooter, and playmaker. Not just some 1 dimensional goal scorer.

But that's what some wanted to think.
I should have said "Kane and Toews"

In his first 3 seasons he was mediocre for 2 seasons and very good for 1. ill Credit him with having a very good season not on Kane's line. Fantastic even. Granted 18 of those Powerplay points he accrued Kane is listed as goal or assist on the play. but Toews would check the other teams top lines, kane would draw the other teams top checkers, Cat was able to have his way when alternating between Toews and Strome. Kane lined up with Anisimov

in his last 2 years he played with Kane.
Kane was a name for goal or assist on 49 of Cat's 78 points. Which is normal for linemates.

year prior, Kane was in on 36 of Cat's 56 points

The other 2 seasons there were forgettable. And if they say he barely played with Kane in 2019, then how did Kane factor in to 23 of his 45 points that year? if you are listed as goal scorer or assist man on over half a guy's point total, you play together quite a bit.

He has some pretty good linemates in ottawa but he is not clicking with them as he did in chicago. He's certainly used to more defensive minded linemates covering for him.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
What "premises" are those? AFAICT you don't have any premise other than ignoring the fact Debrincats QO all but guarantees the Sens have to overpay him to retain his RFA rights. Overpaid players, even if it's just a modest overpay have much more limited trade value.
Ok, so you are saying there is no chance of Debrincat signing a deal for under $9m. You are hyper fixating on one possible outcome (of many). And, even if that was true, your understanding of value is about as simple and basic as possible. As I said, you are not worth talking to.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Ok, so you are saying there is no chance of Debrincat signing a deal for under $9m. You are hyper fixating on one possible outcome (of many). And, even if that was true, your understanding of value is about as simple and basic as possible. As I said, you are not worth talking to.
No, nowhere have I said anything like that. What I said is that there is no chance of him signing a contract that doesn't overpay him.

There is no reason for him to sign any contract that doesn't pay him at least as much as he can get by taking the $9million QO and walking to UFA next year. This is by definition an overpay if he's not worth at least $9 million as a UFA. Overpaid players don't have much trade value, but Ottawa is in a position where they have to overpay him to retain his rights. He could still have a lot of value to the Sens as a player, but he doesn't have much in the way of trade value.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
No, nowhere have I said anything like that. What I said is that there is no chance of him signing a contract that doesn't overpay him.

There is no reason for him to sign any contract that doesn't pay him at least as much as he can get by taking the $9million QO and walking to UFA next year. This is by definition an overpay if he's not worth at least $9 million as a UFA. Overpaid players don't have much trade value, but Ottawa is in a position where they have to overpay him to retain his rights. He could still have a lot of value to the Sens as a player, but he doesn't have much in the way of trade value.
Yeah, clearly there wouldn’t be two GMs at once who would overpay the same player. Also, good thing we have objective, trusted measures for all the things you’re saying.

Oh, wait, we don’t? At all? And even if we did, your argument still relies on assumptions that are very far from iron-clad while, again, ruling out several very real possibilities?

Again, there is no reason to continue this discussion

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Dream on. What team is willing to gut themselves of their good value players for Debrincat just so the Sens can fill all their holes in one trade?

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Yeah, clearly there wouldn’t be two GMs at once who would overpay the same player. Also, good thing we have objective, trusted measures for all the things you’re saying.

Oh, wait, we don’t? At all? And even if we did, your argument still relies on assumptions that are very far from iron-clad while, again, ruling out several very real possibilities?

Again, there is no reason to continue this discussion
I have no idea what you are trying to say here, can you restate it in a form that isn't word salad?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Dream on. What team is willing to gut themselves of their good value players for Debrincat just so the Sens can fill all their holes in one trade?
…. the suggestion was not to trade all of those pieces for Debrincat.

Man, starting a thread really makes you realize how bad most adults are at reading.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here, can you restate it in a form that isn't word salad?
Nah. I’ve been clear and I know that you have nothing interesting or relevant to say.

• Haha
Reactions: Puikiou

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
…. the suggestion was not to trade all of those pieces for Debrincat.

Man, starting a thread really makes you realize how bad most adults are at reading.

Nah. I’ve been clear and I know that you have nothing interesting or relevant to say.
"Ottawa would be looking for the following pieces in return."

Maybe you just suck at writing. If you wanted to ask for some, then say the word "some."

Reactions: Bluenotes27

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
"Ottawa would be looking for the following pieces in return."

Maybe you just suck at writing. If you wanted to ask for some, then say the word "some."
I didn't think I had to explicitly state that Ottawa wasn't looking for a starting goalie, top 6 winger, top nine winger, #5 DMan, and a top prospect. If I wanted all, I would have said "all".

But congrats, you are right: Ottawa has no chance of trading Debrincat for a starting goalie, top 6 winger, top nine winger, #5 DMan, and a top prospect. It is good that you came in and let us know.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I didn't think I had to explicitly state that Ottawa wasn't looking for a starting goalie, top 6 winger, top nine winger, #5 DMan, and a top prospect. If I wanted all, I would have said "all".

But congrats, you are right: Ottawa has no chance of trading Debrincat for a starting goalie, top 6 winger, top nine winger, #5 DMan, and a top prospect. It is good that you came in and let us know.
:eyeroll:

It helps to be precise about what you mean to say. And don't go attacking my ability to read, when you can't be bothered to be precise. I love when OPs want people to interpret things exactly how they intended, then get upset and attack responses. Really mature.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
:eyeroll:

It helps to be precise about what you mean to say. And don't go attacking my ability to read, when you can't be bothered to be precise. I love when OPs want people to interpret things exactly how they intended, then get upset and attack responses. Really mature.
Hey, fair enough. I thought it was obvious but I clearly could have worded it better. I am just annoyed by 90% of the people posting in here refusing to entertain the premise of the thread which, to your credit, you did not do. I was wrong.

Reactions: CanadienShark

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Simple question. When was the last time a player was traded with an extension in place? Not a contract is signed a day or five later signifying they had an idea what it would take, but an actual extension in place?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Hey, fair enough. I thought it was obvious but I clearly could have worded it better. I am just annoyed by 90% of the people posting in here refusing to entertain the premise of the thread which, to your credit, you did not do. I was wrong.
I respect this response. I'm not going to say Debrincat is valueless. The guy has put up some great numbers in his young career.
👍

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
No, it absolutely doesn’t mean that lol.

Will Timo Meier’s next contract start with a 10? No. No shit it won’t.

The only way Debrincat next contract starts with a 9 is if he refuses to sign anything but a 1yr deal. Your logic is nowhere near as airtight as you think it is.

Lol, he’s not under contract next year. There is no chance Ottawa needs to retain or give assets away, in fact retaining on Debrincat would have literally zero effect.

Another person making claims that are clearly based on not understanding simple facts around the situation.
His QO is 9 so even if he signs a 1 year deal it starts with 9. Your logic therefore is nonexistent here.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
His QO is 9 so even if he signs a 1 year deal it starts with 9. Your logic therefore is nonexistent here.
You said "even if he signs a 1 year deal it starts with a 9". What I said was essentially "only if he signs a 1 year deal will it start with a 9." Where is my logic is so faulty?

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
You said "even if he signs a 1 year deal it starts with a 9". What I said was essentially "only if he signs a 1 year deal will it start with a 9." Where is my logic is so faulty?
Ok man. The bottom line is unless he signs a team friendly deal he has little to no trade value so all the things you said Ottawa would be looking for in a trade would not be available. That is the underlying point. All your other chatter in this thread means nothing

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Ok man. The bottom line is unless he signs a team friendly deal he has little to no trade value so all the things you said Ottawa would be looking for in a trade would not be available. That is the underlying point. All your other chatter in this thread means nothing
Ok. Put some actual numbers out there. At what contract does Debrincat have value? At what contract does he have the value to return a good piece or two? Who might be inclined to offer him a contract that would appeal to him? Contribute something!

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
If Debrincat wants to sign a long term deal at a lower number, he can. It's happened before. We don't know what will happen but some players like long term security [at maybe a million or 1.5 m ish or so less than testing the market) if they like the team/location they are playing in. Further, some players that have gambled on making a short term decision or deal have seen it backfire. Klingberg & Connor Brown are 2 recent examples. You are pretending you are clairvoyant and absolutely know what's going to happen, but you don't know. Don't bother responding to this post. I won't be getting into a pointless back & forth on this.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
If Debrincat wants to sign a long term deal at a lower number, he can. It's happened before. We don't know what will happen but some players like long term security [at maybe a million or 1.5 m ish or so less than testing the market) if they like the team/location they are playing in. Further, some players that have gambled on making a short term decision or deal have seen it backfire. Klingberg & Connor Brown are 2 recent examples. You are pretending you are clairvoyant and absolutely know what's going to happen, but you don't know. Don't bother responding to this post. I won't be getting into a pointless back & forth on this.
It's wild... no one has said that him signing his QO is impossible, or even not likely. But, obviously, it is not the only possible outcome... and the point of this thread is to discuss a wide range of outcomes, how that impacts his desirability and value to other teams.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If Debrincat isn’t qualified he becomes a free agent. What contract will he get if a UFA? Is he a 7 million dollar player? Would a club pay him that much per year on a long term contract? Seems likely he is qualified by Ottawa for one more year. Then maybe he’s traded at the 2024 TDL?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
If Debrincat isn’t qualified he becomes a free agent. What contract will he get if a UFA? Is he a 7 million dollar player? Would a club pay him that much per year on a long term contract? Seems likely he is qualified by Ottawa for one more year. Then maybe he’s traded at the 2024 TDL?
1) Debrincat would absolutely get more than 7mil as a UFA... you can probably look to the Fiala contract, the Landeskog contract (Landeskog is more valuable, but took a hometown discount), even the Forsberg contract to some extent. I am not saying he would get as much as any of them, but I am pretty confident he would receive offers of at least $7.5mil. Lets not forget, this is a 25-year-old who has hit 30 goals three times, including once in just 52 games (32 goals), who is likely on his way to an ~65pt season, and who has a career average of 34 goals and 68pts per 82, all while being in the league since he was 19 years old.
2) Ottawa will 100% qualify him if he is not traded before
3) Debrincat can sign a long-term deal this summer

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
1) Debrincat would absolutely get more than 7mil as a UFA
2) Ottawa will 100% qualify him if he is not traded before
3) Debrincat can sign a long-term deal this summer
I don’t see him traded this summer. I do see him in a situation where he will need to decide if taking a one year QO of 9 million and then testing free agency will bring him more money over his career than signing a long term deal for less on the cap. Will 9 + his next contract as a UFA be more than if he accepts a long term deal at 7x 8 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad