Speculation: Expansion Draft - Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I know that Drouin had proven more at the NHL level, but is that pick swap the first indication that the Penguins' recent cup with a terrible defence is acting as a market correction on D prices, as some have been predicting?

(What are the conditions, anyway? Signing-based?)

the conditional picks are exchanged if Sergachev plays less than 40 games next year

clubkid75

Feb 7, 2016
Maybe the Jets should send Logan Stanley to Minnesota for Dumba or Brodin or to Anaheim for Manson or Vatanen

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
June 17 3pm ET - roster freeze goes into effect. @5pm protected lists submitted.

So roughly 40 hours. Could be an interesting couple of days :popcorn:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
So who do the ducks trade where?

I haven't read the Anaheim threads since they revealed that they have a trade with Vegas... I've assumed that they aren't asking Bieksa to waive because they agreed to give Vegas something valuable and they don't need to make anymore trades. Am I off or missing something?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Maybe the Jets should send Logan Stanley to Minnesota for Dumba or Brodin or to Anaheim for Manson or Vatanen

Don't see those things happening.
I've heard and read that Anaheim has a plan in place to protect Manson (one way or the other)

Minny can do better than Stanley in a trade.
Assuming this is before the expansion draft then we'd need to protect Brodin which exposes someone else.

Jets seem VERY unlikely to acquire a player before the expansion draft. Best bet is a trade with Vegas afterward... but they will have plenty of suitors for their army of D-men.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
anyone that has a deal with vegas already can begin stockpiling players at a discount. must be something that prohibits this?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
June 17 3pm ET - roster freeze goes into effect. @5pm protected lists submitted.

So roughly 40 hours. Could be an interesting couple of days :popcorn:

Well, the protection lists come public 10 AM next morning (so gracefully at the evening time for us at this side of the water), but as Daly warned the GMs to not do any leaks about trades, there probably will be little of any tangible moves for the public to discuss about before Vegas roster is ultimately revealed. If we go by what NHL wants, there's no fun reserved for us beyond the speculation based on the public protection lists during the 72-hour window and the following moratorium when they register the SPCs of the signed Free Agents. We are apparently supposed to get the Draft result all at one go, not to see it forming hour-by-hour in the build-up.

Lempo

Feb 23, 2014
anyone that has a deal with vegas already can begin stockpiling players at a discount. must be something that prohibits this?

It depends on the deal... if Team Y has made the deal with Vegas that in exchange for a 3rd round pick Vegas won't pick player Z, then that gives zero protection on any eligible player who Team Y might pick now before the Draft moratorium.

If the deal is that Vegas picks player Q and gets 3rd for their troubles, then that's a different scenario of course. But will Vegas at this point make a deal to fully commit on 1 of their 30 picks already? At least there would have to be a premium in the price, so effectively the Team Y would have paid for the Expansion Team for that privilege, and NHL obviously likes for Vegas to be more competitive out of gates.

Lempo

Feb 23, 2014
That is not correct. There is no restriction on picking any UFA or RFA. They could for instance select Copp if unprotected and then he would be on their reserve list. They would give him a QO and proceed normally.

They could select a UFA. They would still have exclusive neg rights until July 1. Maybe they didn't quite sign a player in the window but still believe they can. Or they have reached their salary limit so need to wait to sign. This is much less likely but not prohibited.

The only rule is 20 player must be under contract in 2017/18. If they sign a free agent in the window they are under contract.

I have btw come to fear that you're absolutely right about this and I have been wrong. So, sorry about the hassle.

I still wish they'd allow us see the legit rules as they're written and not just the secondhand descriptions of them.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I haven't read the Anaheim threads since they revealed that they have a trade with Vegas... I've assumed that they aren't asking Bieksa to waive because they agreed to give Vegas something valuable and they don't need to make anymore trades. Am I off or missing something?

I don't think they can ask Bieksa to waive, can they? He's injured negating that option for them. That doesn't preclude them having a deal in place preventing the need.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I don't think they can ask Bieksa to waive, can they? He's injured negating that option for them. That doesn't preclude them having a deal in place preventing the need.

An injured player is not prevented from waiving. In fact it's expected Clarkson will waive to be part of the CBJ - Vegas deal.

An injured player can't be bought out though. But it's uncear if Bieksa is healthy or not and if that was an option for the Ducks

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
So it was reported that they will announce Vegas selections on the awards show 5 players at a time inbetween awards presentations. I wonder if they'll do it alphabetically? meaning the Jets player would be the last one announced.

They could also do it by conference, by player position F - D - G or any other random way.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Are they even allowed to buy him out. Wasn't he unhealthy all of last year with a severe concussion?

Is he healthy now? Last season is not relevant if he has been cleared, although it does seem a bit strange.

Lempo

Feb 23, 2014
So it was reported that they will announce Vegas selections on the awards show 5 players at a time inbetween awards presentations. I wonder if they'll do it alphabetically? meaning the Jets player would be the last one announced.

They could also do it by conference, by player position F - D - G or any other random way.

Probably by the standard show-biz rules: You start with a bang, then some so-sos, in the middle you need some good stuff to keep the audience interested, then's again a slot for so-sos, and obviously you save the best for last.

Them American Idol contestants don't perform in random order, if you ever thought that. ;)

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
An injured player is not prevented from waiving. In fact it's expected Clarkson will waive to be part of the CBJ - Vegas deal.

An injured player can't be bought out though. But it's uncear if Bieksa is healthy or not and if that was an option for the Ducks

Thank you for the clarification. My mind was clouded trying to remember the various Anaheim threads I'd read and it was the buyout aspect I was thinking of.

Lempo

Feb 23, 2014
Why would Vegas agree to that?

I believe he meant now before the roster freeze starts 3 pm ET tomorrow, as valuable unprotectable players are on the market. If Vegas has committed to take someone particular from you, you don't much have to worry about protecting anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad