Speculation: Expansion Draft - Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I believe he meant now before the roster freeze starts 3 pm ET tomorrow, as valuable unprotectable players are on the market. If Vegas has committed to take someone particular from you, you don't much have to worry about protecting anyone else.

The price would be high from Vegas to do that, because now they know that team has pick of the litter around the league, which affects what Vegas can select in the expansion draft.

Totally different scenario than "how much will it cost me to protect x player"

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
The price would be high from Vegas to do that, because now they know that team has pick of the litter around the league, which affects what Vegas can select in the expansion draft.

Totally different scenario than "how much will it cost me to protect x player"

This is pretty much what I said in post #714, but there possibly are a couple of expensive contracts that Vegas may already have agreed to take on from the respective team.

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
Seeing the ducks buy out Despare to help with expansion. Why hasn't it even been an option to buy Toby out ? No talk of this. Am I missing something ? To me this would solve a lot of problems for us

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Seeing the ducks buy out Despare to help with expansion. Why hasn't it even been an option to buy Toby out ? No talk of this. Am I missing something ? To me this would solve a lot of problems for us

If he has waived than there is no need to buy him out.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Why would we buy out Enstrom, when we already need another enstrom on the roster.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Buy him out go 7 3 1 and replace him. Or is that to much work for Chevy ?

If he waives the Jets can go 7-3-1 and save $4 million in buyout costs while likely keeping a servicable number 4 dmen on the team. Not sure why Chevy should be given a hard time if that is how things transpire.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Buy him out go 7 3 1 and replace him. Or is that to much work for Chevy ?

Replace with who? We'll overpay Alzer, or sign Hainsey again? Because we won't get Shattenkirk, and those are the next two best D-men on the FA market.

If Enstrom becomes a free-agent he slots in about right there.

Yeah, lets get rid of our second best defensive defenseman, and guy who has been here since day one, to save a bottom six winger, miss the playoffs again, and **** away our entire cup window.

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
Replace with who? We'll overpay Alzer, or sign Hainsey again? Because we won't get Shattenkirk, and those are the next two best D-men on the FA market.

Replace him through a bargain in the exp draft. A lot of teams would be doing that. Toby is not more then a bottom pairing d man playing above his head taking the most penalties other then buff in the league. Should of been bought out and replaced IMO. But i hasn't even been an option or talked about. Pretty sad since it would of been the most productive way to make the team better and not lose Lowry or Perrault. Losing Toby helps the jets. It would of been ideal

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba

Yeah, lets get rid of our second best defensive defenseman, and guy who has been here since day one, to save a bottom six winger, miss the playoffs again, and **** away our entire cup window.

Losing enstrom would not hurt as at all. Especially if we had a gm that would actually replace him

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Losing enstrom would not hurt as at all. Especially if we had a gm that would actually replace him

OK, who would we replace him with? The FA class is trash, and Chevy isn't a trading GM. I think the Winnipeg location really hurts us in trades.

So your plan is to buy out a good LHD, when the team is looking to add a good LHD. So now instead of looking for one good LHD, we'll need to find two good LHD.

Jets Defensive Roster:

Dustin Byfuglien (Better, but Toby has a better impact devensively)
Ben Chiarot (worse than Toby)
Toby Enstrom (Toby)
Julian Melchiori (worse than Toby)
Josh Morrissey (Better than Toby, on a small sample size)
Tyler Myers (About the same as Toby)
Nelson Nogier (Worse than Toby)
Paul Postma (Gone)
Mark Stuart (Worse than Toby)
Jacob Trouba (Better than Toby)

3 d-men better (Including a Sophomore who could crash), 1 the same, and the rest worse. Why would we buy out our 4th best D-man (Which is the weakness of the team) to protect our 9th or 10th best Forward (which is the strength of the team)

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The best solution is Toby waives and the Jets grab an expansion d from Vegas that allows us to push Toby to the third pair. We run Toby as a one year stop gap until one of Poolman/Niku takes the spot. That is what a winning GM would do, keeps his team strong in the short term while having a succession plan.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
[mod]

We will lose a good forward. Not a great forward, but a solid forward. Out of the list I like Armia the best, so I hope he stays, but I won't cry over losing a 3rd line winger. If we lose Matty P, as much as I like him, I feel like he is going to get squeezed out of the top 6 shortly, so having him gone should help some salary issues.

It's going to happen no matter what. Accept that and move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
You're not answering their question. Who do you want to replace him with?

That's chevys job to find a decent replacement. I just feel it would of been the best way to go about the exp draft. And there could of been a good trade through expansion for a replacement. Don't have to over pay in FA. Toby will get just as much penalties next year. And injured once or twice which will hurt our depth anyway

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
That's chevys job to find a decent replacement. I just feel it would of been the best way to go about the exp draft. And there could of been a good trade through expansion for a replacement. Don't have to over pay in FA. Toby will get just as much penalties next year. And injured once or twice which will hurt our depth anyway

You have to give up value to get value. Who are you giving up as a Forward to get that value?

And we now need two LHD instead of one, with one of the weakest FA classes ever, especially on the back end.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

The buyout is more for cap room than it is for expansion. They need room to fit the Fowler extension in.

And it's cheap too. Toby's would cost $4.2M

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg

So your advice is to have Chevy flush 4 mil down the toilet (buying out Toby) and then find 2 starting good LHD with a price tag of about 1.5 and 2.5 mil (plus the 4 mil you flushed).....You realize you would be trading away an Ehlers or Connor to have a hope of making that happen? I wish you were the GM you make it sound so easy :laugh:

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
He's fighting hard to justify his opinion, just seems like he hasn't thought this through yet.

I like sparking debate. I don't necessarily agree with my point. I like to hear it from everyone and debate the possibilities. I do think if we had a different GM it would of been a good option. IMO Toby is a last pairing d man on a contending team that will be playing over his head next year ( as he has last couple seasons ) resulting in a lot of stick infractions and injury.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
We routinely lose 2 to 4 regular defensemen throughout a season to injuries. We are in no position to start giving or trading them away without replacement. Problem is is that Enstrom and Myers are the most commonly injured (i would think).

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Replace him through a bargain in the exp draft. A lot of teams would be doing that. Toby is not more then a bottom pairing d man playing above his head taking the most penalties other then buff in the league. Should of been bought out and replaced IMO. But i hasn't even been an option or talked about. Pretty sad since it would of been the most productive way to make the team better and not lose Lowry or Perrault. Losing Toby helps the jets. It would of been ideal

Enstrom is nowhere near Buff in terms of penalties.

Byfuglien has led all NHL defensemen in minor penalites in each of his last 3 seasons.

Enstrom is nowhere near this amount.

Over the past 4 seasons Byfuglien has 167 minors, Enstrom 88.

If you have to invent a story to fit your narrative, your premise is likely false.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad