OT: Everything COVID19 - PART 8

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
How?
I tried last night but to no avail. Today, I put my name in the databases of Shoppers, Coscto, Pharmasave, etc...but could not make an appointment. Did you do it by walking in or by phone?

If it's anything like last week

You're registered. They'll text you a link to book an actual appointment when your number comes up. You click the link, you book an appointment.

Here's the problem
You're registered at 3 places. All of them will text you. That's what happened to me. Shoppers first. Then when i was done making my appointment they said I'd get an email confirmation. I wait. And wait. No email. Hmmm. Start to get concerned that i f***ed up booking the appointment.

Then the next day Rexall texts me. Easy peasy process. Instant email confirmation. Cool. 36 hours after booking my Shoppers appointment the confirmation email arrives. 36 hours!

Now I've got 2 appointments. Naturally i go to the first appointment

Today, i spent 30 minutes trying to speak to a human being at Shoppers to let them know that i wouldn't be attending my appointment scheduled for 42 minutes from now. After getting bounced around from muzak to muzak on hold, i had a meeting to attend and gave up. You wouldn't think it's that hard. I called the actual store. Twice i did speak to a person, only to be put back on hold while they forwarded me to someone that could help me

Reactions: coladin

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
if reports are accurate, this will become a new FLU. So yearly shots. Unlike the flu, were we seem to accept about a net 20% of the population getting that vaccine, this virus is way more contagious and 10 times deadlier. In fact much closer to 100 times deadlier.

While I think we will definitely need boosters initially. This virus mutates about 4 times more slowly than the flu and the proteins on the virus don't seem to change as much (reason why the vaccines thus far have been working against the variants). The reason we are having so many mutations right now is just the sheer volume of people with the virus. If transmission can slow, mutation will also slow.

Now, I definitely think we will need one within the next year. I'm hopefully that once things aren't so chaotic, we need a booster every 3-5 years.

But I'm not an expert, and we do need to see how this mutates (so far all signs point to it mutating into something worse instead of like the SARS virus that mutated into something less dangerous).

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
While I think we will definitely need boosters initially. This virus mutates about 4 times more slowly than the flu and the proteins on the virus don't seem to change as much (reason why the vaccines thus far have been working against the variants). The reason we are having so many mutations right now is just the sheer volume of people with the virus. If transmission can slow, mutation will also slow.

Now, I definitely think we will need one within the next year. I'm hopefully that once things aren't so chaotic, we need a booster every 3-5 years.

But I'm not an expert, and we do need to see how this mutates (so far all signs point to it mutating into something worse instead of like the SARS virus that mutated into something less dangerous).
I believe you have a daughter.

AZ, like the pill causes clots (as does the J&J). That makes it dangerous for young women. Can you imagine young women on the pill and taking the AZ shot. So we may ask Canada's 5 million young women, aged 18-45 to increase their chances of blood clots, to protect their 80 year old Grandmother..who by virtue of government programs, gets the Pfizer or Moderna!!!!! Brilliant. Not the other way around!

We have government agencies and other bodies counteracting each other and changing recommendations. How safe should you feel as a Mom, knowing that your Daughter may be injured to save your Mother? One maybe 18-45, the other 70-90.....

My family history? both sides, is littered with heart issues....I carry heart attack as a middle name. You can imagine, my Nieces and Nephews are most likely susceptible...So, we ask them to increase their chances of heart issues, so that my 85 year mother is okay???? My Mother would not accept.

Last edited:

BradyTkachucky

Jul 31, 2005
Ottawa

AZ, like the pill causes cloths (as does the J&J). That makes it dangerous for young women. Can you imagine young women on the pill and taking the AZ shot. So we may ask Canada's 5 million young women, aged 18-45 to increase their chances of blood cloths, to protect their 80 year old Grandmother..who by virtue of government programs, gets the Pfizer or Moderna!!!!! Brilliant. Not the other way around!

We have government agencies and other bodies counteracting each other and changing recommendations. How safe should you feel as a Mom, knowing that your Daughter may be injured to save your Mother? One maybe 18-45, the other 70-90.....

My family history? both sides, is littered with heart issues....I carry heart attack as a middle name. You can imagine, my Nieces and Nephews are most likely susceptible...So, we ask them to increase their chances of heart issues, so that my 85 year mother is okay???? My Mother would not accept.

clots*

Reactions: Beech

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

AZ, like the pill causes clots (as does the J&J). That makes it dangerous for young women. Can you imagine young women on the pill and taking the AZ shot. So we may ask Canada's 5 million young women, aged 18-45 to increase their chances of blood clots, to protect their 80 year old Grandmother..who by virtue of government programs, gets the Pfizer or Moderna!!!!! Brilliant. Not the other way around!

4 per million AZ

There is more than one kind of clot. For instance, the cerebral style clot is 4 per million with Pfizer/Moderna and for AZ it is 5 per million

clot from the abdomen, can't recall the name but watched a doc go through it , is 44 per million with Pfizer/Moderna and only 1.6 per million with AZ

The risk of a clot to a healthy human being , according to the Thrombosis Society of Canada, is 1 in 2,000

Last edited:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The risk of a clot to a healthy human being , accordiong to the Thrmobosis Society of Canada, is 1 in 2,000
Though I don't have the stat right in front of me, by way of comparison I believe it's been said that the odds of a blood clot if hospitalized with COVID is something like 1-in-20. You're so right — the anxiety about this far outweighs the risk of getting the vaccine vs. not getting it.
Will be interesting to see how many findings pop up after this shit is semi over. There are probably hundreds if not thousands of these cases that go undocumented.

HEALTH IMPACTS: Ottawa docs raise alarm about effects of pandemic on kids | Ottawa Sun
Also true. In the same sense as we weren't ready for the pandemic, we're not even close to ready for the mental health fallout we'll see once the immediacy of the pandemic is behind us. We were barely holding together at the seams on the mental health discussion pre-COVID, and now we're needing the supports we don't have more than ever. Some dark years ahead.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Though I don't have the stat right in front of me, by way of comparison I believe it's been said that the odds of a blood clot if hospitalized with COVID is something like 1-in-20. You're so right — the anxiety about this far outweighs the risk of getting the vaccine vs. not getting it.

Also true. In the same sense as we weren't ready for the pandemic, we're not even close to ready for the mental health fallout we'll see once the immediacy of the pandemic is behind us. We were barely holding together at the seams on the mental health discussion pre-COVID, and now we're needing the supports we don't have more than ever. Some dark years ahead.

The balance of telling your kids to follow the rules, especially on these warm days, is criminal. But we have to protect them as much as we can. My 13yr old daughter, it is tough, but she is outside going for a walk with her mask on. Parents of her friends, we are all onboard with no one indoors, and masked outdoors. At the end of the day it is about minimizing the exposure within reason. Docs seem pretty content for people being outdoors, six feet apart without masks. I feel what I am asking of my daughter is overboard, but everyone is gladly doing it if it means they can be with their friends.

My daughter is going to miss her prom, which is frustrating and it is one of those "once in a lifetime" moments. Who knows, if they can get vaccinations rolling in June, maybe late summer, before people go to uni, they can have something. My other son in second year uni, and he was going to the rinks, basketball courts, etc...before the lockdown with always the same boys. So, overall, the kids are doing their part to keep us safe, and also walk that fine line of the OPH guidelines. It is tough

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire

Covid restrictions + social media are the perfect storm of mental health issues particularly in young people in my mind. Hopefully after the restrictions right now things will be on the "open up" trajectory from now on. But will be very interesting to see how people react to getting back to normal after having their life change so radically for so long and if there will be struggles related to that.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007

Wake up people

Interesting if true. I just had a client die at my work from "covid" last week, which should be taken with a grain of salt with how unhealthy of a individual this was. This person's mother was given the option to continue on oxygen or not, she chose not to and the person died within 5 minutes.

Reactions: DJB

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Interesting if true. I just had a client die at my work from "covid" last week, which should be taken with a grain of salt with how unhealthy of a individual this was. This person's mother was given the option to continue on oxygen or not, she chose not to and the person died within 5 minutes.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

I would have zero issue with my daughter having the AZ. Just like myself having it. I've taken birth control, I've gone on over seas flights, I've been overweight, I've been pregnant. All things that I'm happy to do which have a drastically higher risk of blood clots.

It's also not about saving your 85 year old. At this point, it's about saving our health care system. It's about getting back into some sort of normal life. Mental health tolls on children and teens, massive numbers of delayed surgical interventions, burnout on our healthcare system. There are so many more reasons to get vaccinated than just the old people dying. Especially when a risk of clot is so incredibly rare (now I understand if you have a higher risk of clots in the first place to be hesitant about the vaccine... but that's a different story).

And now my daughter is 3 so she won't have that option. But I cannot imagine what a teen at home is going through mentally. Mental health peds units are overflowing with Covid mental health issues. I'll take the incredibly rare clot to get her life some sort of mental stability. It's all about weighing risks and benefits. And it isn't all about avoiding a COVID infection or about death.

Last edited:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Anyone following what's going on in India?

300,000 cases yesterday alone. It's a double mutation, and apparently is even more transmissible than the UK/Brazil variants. Not sure if it's able to sneak past the vaccines yet. Either way, the virus is absolutely devastating their health care system right now. Shades of Spain when this whole thing started.

Apparently the double mutation has made it's way to Canada - BC has had over three dozen cases of it so far and I believe Quebec has cases now.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Allowing international travel from COVID hotspots but telling Canadians to stay at home and don’t visit people, curfews, etc. You couldn’t make it up.

Rules have only ever been for the poor. A friend who is a cook at a restaurant (which are take-out/delivery only right now, and have been for basically half a year) said they were trying to put off paying him until the end of the month because they didn't have the money and he was like, well hm, should I call Boss 1 in Egypt, or Boss 2 in the Seychelles?

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018

300,000 cases yesterday alone. It's a double mutation, and apparently is even more transmissible than the UK/Brazil variants. Not sure if it's able to sneak past the vaccines yet. Either way, the virus is absolutely devastating their health care system right now. Shades of Spain when this whole thing started.

Apparently the double mutation has made it's way to Canada - BC has had over three dozen cases of it so far and I believe Quebec has cases now.

Yah it sucks. It looks very transmissible.

One thing to remember, vaccinations almost completely erase the risk of hospitalization for any of these mutants.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I'm not a virus expert, so I have to ask....is this normal? This is what, the third or fourth mutation now (UK, Arizona, Brazil..) in less than two years, and each mutation seems to be making the virus worse. Aren't viruses supposed to lose potency and be less transmissible over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad