Player Discussion Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I don't really know how much of this is Bowman anyway, seems like it was pretty much set in stone with the Oiler moves in July. The minute they signed Henrique it became pretty obvious.

I said this before Bowman was hired, but I anticipate that as GM he's nothing more than the public mouthpiece for Jackson.

As you said, this was probably Jackson's plan from the get go now, Bowman will just be the face of this and will use his relationship with the league and Bettman specifically to smooth things over if we make use of LTIR like VGK or TBL.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Kane has been wavering on having surgery or trying to rehab it without favorable results that is out of the team's control. The player has to consent to having surgery. If surgery soon is the play then I REALLY hope that we add some toughness because without Kane we lack a ton in that area. Even with Kane I'd like to see 1 more physical layer that can kick some ass added to the team.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That would be great if they could do that but I’m not sure if that’s the case. I think any time you are in LTIR you can’t accrue cap.

I could be completely wrong about this, but I think trying to make everything fit day one then putting on ltir has to do with maximizing ltir pool and or something to do with the bonus pool.

I had to Waybackmachine to some random Canucks forum to find Capfriendly's explanation of LTIR and the ASCL haha:
What is the Accruable Cap Space Limit (ACSL)?
When a team goes into LTIR, their effective salary cap, or upper limit, is changed. This adjusted upper limit is calculated as a function of the teams cap space and the player’s cap hit. This value is the “accruable cap space limit” (ACSL), and is the first value calculated.

The accruable cap space limit is the teams new upper limit excluding their LTIR relief pools. If the team operates below the ACSL, they begin to accrue cap space. A team can operate up to the ACSL without using their LTIR relief pools, once they operate above the ACSL, they begin to use their LTIR relief pools. In the majority of cases, a team using LTIR will be using their relief pools. Only in uncommon circumstances does a team operate below their ACSL.

The ACSL is only calculated when a team first enters LTIR, if a player is placed on LTIR while another player is already on LTIR, the ACSL is not recalculated. In the event that a team stops using LTIR, their ACSL resets to the default upper limit of the active season, upon reentering LTIR, the ACSL is again recalculated.

Basic ASCL and LTIR relief Equation Example
The league upper limit is $82.5M. A team has an averaged club salary of $81.5M and a player with a contract with an AAV of $5M becomes injured and the team places him on LTIR. The LTIR relief pools are calculated as follows:
AAV of LTIR player is $5M
Cap space = $82.5M - $81.5M = $1M remaining
ACSL = $82.5M - $1M = $81.5M
LTIR relief:
salary relief pool: $5M
Once the team operates above the ASCL of $81.5M, they have $5M in relief

I'm not sure how ASCL works with season-opening LTIR, but I would assume it's just set at the upper limit of the cap. So basically let's say Broberg/Holloway sign for a combined $2.5M. That would put that Oilers $2.8M over the cap and cap compliant with Kane on season-opening LTIR. If they manage to clear $2.8M+ and get below the $88M cap, I believe they'd start accruing cap space because they're no longer using the LTIR pool.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
If Kane has been wavering on having surgery or trying to rehab it without favorable results that is out of the team's control. The player has to consent to having surgery. If surgery soon is the play then I REALLY hope that we add some toughness because without Kane we lack a ton in that area. Even with Kane I'd like to see 1 more physical layer that can kick some ass added to the team.
I agree. I can’t understand why some here want him on LTIR, he was 6th in the league in hits and 4th on the Oilers for goals all the while playing with this injury.
This team is butter soft without him, how many more guys get injured this season without him to police? Just stupid to hope he goes on LTIR.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I agree. I can’t understand why some here want him on LTIR, he was 6th in the league in hits and 4th on the Oilers for goals all the while playing with this injury.
This team is butter soft without him, how many more guys get injured this season without him to police? Just stupid to hope he goes on LTIR.
I hope that we add a guy like Matt Martin while Kane is out.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Bowman in the press conference (summarized)...

"People seem to have a misconception about LTIR. We aren't Vegas, we can't just put people on and take people off whenever we see fit. If Kane goes on LTIR, when he is ready to play, we need to actually have cap space for him to join the roster."

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

"People seem to have a misconception about LTIR. We aren't Vegas, we can't just put people on and take people off whenever we see fit. If Kane goes on LTIR, when he is ready to play, we need to actually have cap space for him to join the roster."
People also don't understand that a guy can be physically hurt and legit be on the LTIR, and then when the games count come back and fight through the pain.

Kinda hard to put a guy on LTIR for a whole year when they type of injury historically has never warranted close to that kind of rehab timeline. Yes there are times when it can go sideways like a Pearson who just couldn't get properly healed in Vancouver, but you have to kind of prove these set backs.

Reactions: oilers'72

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Im just getting tired of all the drama lately
Perry yelling at him, injured/not injured, LTIR questions, just seems to be one thing after another for 5M
It seems to be fabricated drama by the media and some fans. His team mates seem to love him and he likes being in Edmonton. How many players that aren't from here spend their off seasons in the city? He also does a ton of charity work here during and after the season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Im just getting tired of all the drama lately
Perry yelling at him, injured/not injured, LTIR questions, just seems to be one thing after another for 5M
I mean people just like to make shit up about the guy. The drama is fake drama

Guy had a blast with teammates at McDavid's wedding. Continues to still hangout with Cecily and help out with local charities. Yet still labelled a bad guy for no actual reason or evidence.

People just hated him before he came here and never gave him any sort of shot, and just feel the need to take pot shots at the guy.
It seems to be fabricated drama by the media and some fans. His team mates seem to love him and he likes being in Edmonton. How many players that aren't from here spend their off seasons in the city? He also does a ton of charity work here during and after the season.
With all the "apparent drama" last year, sure funny that this is true and is building a new house here.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Is that a direct quote? He referenced Vegas being able to get away with it and is not?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad