Player Discussion Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
In scenario three before they put him on LTIR they would add someone to get the cap hit as close to the ceiling as they could. They have a roster spot so they could add Savoie on a paper transaction and that would take them to within 100K of the ceiling, Then if they put Kane on LTIR they have the option of adding a 23 roster spot using LTIR, or they could send Savoie back down and they would still have almost the full $945K to accrue.

True, but the only benefit would be to maximize the allowed overage, correct?

Meaning, they add Savoie to eat up the $945K... then they LTIR Kane to get the full $5.1M, then if they send Savoie back down can they effectively spend ~$6M on a player to take his place?

Or is that not allowed... since as soon as they send down Savoie, they only need $4.155 to "replace" Kane... so really the only benefit in calling up Savoie is to max the number of available players on the roster?

Either way, they don't still "accrue" money while in LTIR... you just mean that they should do a paper transaction to make sure their overage is the full $5.1M above the cap rather than $5.1 - 945K = $4.155, and they have as many players on roster as possible, correct?

Anyway. that would be some nifty maneuvering, but not necessary in my ideal scenario, since I'm already spending the full accrued $$$ under #2 below.
1) Keep Kane on IR to accrue the $945K until say early Feb, means ~$4M in spending power a few weeks ahead of deadline.
2) Make a trade for net $4M salary coming in.
3) Check in with doctors on Kane, oh gee, he's not ready until playoffs?... LTIR for the full $5.1 replacement value.
4) Make a 2nd trade at the deadline for a ~$5M player

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
You know what I guess you're right, It's not like a ref openly stated the league wanted game management in that way, then 6 years later got caught on a hot mic doing it a month before he was due to retire.....

Haha. Got caught admitting to keeping games close. By no stretch did that mean throwing games to Anerican teams.

Nice try tho

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
True, but the only benefit would be to maximize the allowed overage, correct?

Meaning, they add Savoie to eat up the $945K... then they LTIR Kane to get the full $5.1M, then if they send Savoie back down can they effectively spend ~$6M on a player to take his place?

Or is that not allowed... since as soon as they send down Savoie, they only need $4.155 to "replace" Kane... so really the only benefit in calling up Savoie is to max the number of available players on the roster?

Either way, they don't still "accrue" money while in LTIR... you just mean that they should do a paper transaction to make sure their overage is the full $5.1M above the cap rather than $5.1 - 945K = $4.155, and they have as many players on roster as possible, correct?

Anyway. that would be some nifty maneuvering, but not necessary in my ideal scenario, since I'm already spending the full accrued $$$ under #2 below.
1) Keep Kane on IR to accrue the $945K until say early Feb, means ~$4M in spending power a few weeks ahead of deadline.
2) Make a trade for net $4M salary coming in.
3) Check in with doctors on Kane, oh gee, he's not ready until playoffs?... LTIR for the full $5.1 replacement value.
4) Make a 2nd trade at the deadline for a ~$5M player
This is a little technical. Assume that the Oilers have a few injuries short term and they don't want to play short handed. They could add Savoie and then LTIR Kane before bring up anyone. Adding Savoie sets the team's new upper limit for the cap at the point Kane is placed on LTIR. They can then exceed this new upper limit by Kane's full cap hit. Once the short term injuries are over though they can drop back below the upper limit with Kane still on LTIR and still accrue cap space.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
That's not Bettman's fault, what more is he supposed to do? Give the Oilers the Matthews no.1 overall pick the following year too? 5 1st overall picks might do it? We got gift wrapped Tkachuk that draft too, lol.

And yes, Canadian management by and large has sucked the past three decades. Vancouver's management team that built their 2011 team is probably the last one that was really on the ball.
You are overlooking the fact that the circumstances of certain markets can greatly affect managements ability to be as effective as possible. Its a fact that some markets are more desirable then others and because of that some teams have an advantage of always being at the top of the list for free agents and less likely to be on no trade lists. Certain markets have tax advantages that allow them to negotiate more team friendly deals so they’re less likely to have to overpay to land or keep talent. Players are also more likely to make concessions on things like ntc/nmc to land where they want to be. Then there are considerations like anonymity which isnt a thing for big players in Canadian markets. In a league where parity is a high priority, all these little advantages can add up.

Do you think Bill Zito would be able to be as effective in Winnipeg as he is in Florida?

North

Jun 25, 2009
Lmao. Bettman costs himself infinite revenue by allowing McD to goto Edm. Then he spends years sabotaging them till he hopes McD goes to an American market!!!!

Are ppl truly that daft?? @North ? Care to elaborate on how this works exactly?

So for 20 years Bettman has been able to manipulate Playoffs/SCF but has been unable to manipulate drafts? Like use a spec of common sense.....puleasssee
Did I say any of that?

You’re on some sort of tangent because you want to protect your dear precious Bettman.

Not sure why you worked yourself up to this level but keep shaking your fists at clouds.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
This is a little technical. Assume that the Oilers have a few injuries short term and they don't want to play short handed. They could add Savoie and then LTIR Kane before bring up anyone. Adding Savoie sets the team's new upper limit for the cap at the point Kane is placed on LTIR. They can then exceed this new upper limit by Kane's full cap hit. Once the short term injuries are over though they can drop back below the upper limit with Kane still on LTIR and still accrue cap space.

I see, so the "no accrual in LTIR" is a bit of a simplification. Is this a fair representation of your point?

1) In a general sense, if a team is at a full 24 person roster, already at $87 of $88M cap and have a $5M player eligible for LTIR, then they would be allowed to run a cap of $92M (87+ $5M LTIR). And they would NOT accrue cap on the $1M space below the cap?
2) However if the same team then decided to send down two guys at $1M each, since their upper limit was 87 (+5 LTIR) and they were now running $85 (+5 LTIR) then the $2M delta WOULD accrue?

Just trying to make sure I understand... I was under the impression that there is no accrual in LTIR (which was supported by the links I shared yesterday).

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I see, so the "no accrual in LTIR" is a bit of a simplification. Is this a fair representation of your point?

1) In a general sense, if a team is at a full 24 person roster, already at $87 of $88M cap and have a $5M player eligible for LTIR, then they would be allowed to run a cap of $92M (87+ $5M LTIR). And they would NOT accrue cap on the $1M space below the cap?
2) However if the same team then decided to send down two guys at $1M each, since their upper limit was 87 (+5 LTIR) and they were now running $85 (+5 LTIR) then the $2M delta WOULD accrue?

Just trying to make sure I understand... I was under the impression that there is no accrual in LTIR (which was supported by the links I shared yesterday).
I want to make this clear. If Kane was in LTIR they only accrue space if their total commitment including Kane's cap hit drops below the new upper limit. So really it would be

2) However if the same team then decided to send down two guys at $1M each, since their upper limit was 87 (+5 LTIR) and they were now running $85M then the $2M delta WOULD accrue?

Once they actually use the LTIR space to exceed the new upper limit they don't accrue space until they are no longer using that LTIR space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad