Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005
I think the "new" part is the BK judge allowing that "pay for the abortion" lawsuit to proceed since I think it was put on hold due to the BK hearings? I read the "this lawyer said this," "this judge said that" article a day ago or so, whenever it came out, so I might be confusing the details.

You’re correct, they’re at the point now where evidence begins to be shared between the opposing lawyers in order to prepare for the trial. Just a first step in what will probably be a very long, possibly multi-year process.

Reactions: Sandisfan

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
You’re correct, they’re at the point now where evidence begins to be shared between the opposing lawyers in order to prepare for the trial. Just a first step in what will probably be a very long, possibly multi-year process.

Thanks for confirming.

I remembered reading it on the Athletic and couldn't find the link in my feed. Forgot it was a non-Kurz Sharks Athletic article but it doesn't show in my feed for some reason. I think it's linked a page or three back on this thread, which is how I originally read it in the first place. I found the article and did some cut and paste work to my original post to clarify. Took me a minute to find it. But the "pay for the abortion" case was on hold due to COVID initially and then was "stayed" due to the BK proceedings.

*BOOP BOOP BEEP* Operator voice: "We're sorry the money-phone subscriber you have dialed has not paid their bill. Don't bother trying your call again."

Reactions: Sandisfan

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Let's say the league finds no proof of betting, Kane is screwed if he doesn't play and get paid his contract money, and he'll need to do whatever it takes to make it happen. One of the things this franchise IS known for is taking on reclamation projects. So I see plenty of ways this works out just fine, the fans just need to get over themselves and their judgments.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Let's say the league finds no proof of betting, Kane is screwed if he doesn't play and get paid his contract money, and he'll need to do whatever it takes to make it happen. One of the things this franchise IS known for is taking on reclamation projects. So I see plenty of ways this works out just fine, the fans just need to get over themselves and their judgments.

I feel no need for athletes to always be perfect people, and largely lament how we as a culture tend to elevate and celebrate people that are good at one thing as if they are otherwise complete and model people outside of their thing. So an athlete with personal issues is generally not a thing that concerns me, in so much as it isn’t an active detriment to team success.

That said, there’s A LOT to unpack with Kane over the last couple of seasons (and really his career, if we’re being honest) - it strains my own professed detachment. Frankly, if a person anything like has been portrayed in the recent gossip around Kane (and with as long as the record of this sort of behavior goes back for him, gambling on NHL games aside, I’m more inclined to believe the gossip) was in my life, they wouldn’t be for long. I could totally see how his teammates might feel similarly. And that threatens to be a detriment to team success.

I guess what I’m saying is: I think it’s pretty understandable if people are done with Kane and would like to see him shuffled out the door.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I think the difference is that Kane already was a reclamation project for the Sharks when they got him. He was coming in off of (admittedly largely far, far lesser) issues from Winnipeg and Buffalo when the Sharks took a chance on him. And if even a portion of these rumors and accusations turn out to be true then he's repaid that faith and hope the Sharks extended by sinking even further into the abyss. He's already on at least his 3rd chance and possibly more if there have been "second chances" granted within his time with any given org including the sharks and things not only haven't really improved, they've potentially gotten a lot worse. Given the alleged atmosphere of the locker room, I'm not sure how you come back from that at this point.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I think the difference is that Kane already was a reclamation project for the Sharks when they got him. He was coming in off of (admittedly largely far, far lesser) issues from Winnipeg and Buffalo when the Sharks took a chance on him. And if even a portion of these rumors and accusations turn out to be true then he's repaid that faith and hope the Sharks extended by sinking even further into the abyss. He's already on at least his 3rd chance and possibly more if there have been "second chances" granted within his time with any given org including the sharks and things not only haven't really improved, they've potentially gotten a lot worse. Given the alleged atmosphere of the locker room, I'm not sure how you come back from that at this point.

I would say sexual assault allegations are pretty high up there on the no fly zone. Dustin Byfuglien really hated this guy before he even went to Buffalo. I don't know what the Sharks can do but either way its sucks.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009

I think the biggest question is what changed?

Did the previous leadership (Jumbo, Pavs, etc) keep Kane more in check?
Is Kane worse than he was a couple of seasons ago? If so, is that the result of massive personal stress?
How big of an impact, if any, did Covid restrictions play in other players being more annoyed by Kane?
Who were the players that raised these issues about Kane?
Were there always issues with Kane but they just were voiced publically?

Reactions: Alwalys

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Cryptocurrency is literally the easiest asset to seize

All they have to do is a port scan to burn through your public firewall, isolate the node and dump the coinz on the other side of the router

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

And projects take strong locker room leadership and willingness of "project" to be successful.

Gambling (addiction) is a disease, and instead of working through the issues with the wife, he's walking away (divorce). Seems very "me" centered, not willing to go through fire/work through problems to find a better solution on the other side of resolution.

Sharks have lost some leadership oomph in the locker room without Pavs and Jumbo. Goodie may have had some impact as well (always need the glue guys too).
Couture may not be the best captain in current circumstances and with problem/project. He may not have great confidence from stable home life (no wife and kids to ground him away from the rink) and friends do not supply the same. Assertiveness training?
More support from the As? Burns, Karlsson? (Marleau,) Hertl? New guys to help take/support leadership?

Reactions: NiWa and Cas

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
And projects take strong locker room leadership and willingness of "project" to be successful.

Gambling (addiction) is a disease, and instead of working through the issues with the wife, he's walking away (divorce). Seems very "me" centered, not willing to go through fire/work through problems to find a better solution on the other side of resolution.

Sharks have lost some leadership oomph in the locker room without Pavs and Jumbo. Goodie may have had some impact as well (always need the glue guys too).
Couture may not be the best captain in current circumstances and with problem/project. He may not have great confidence from stable home life (no wife and kids to ground him away from the rink) and friends do not supply the same. Assertiveness training?
More support from the As? Burns, Karlsson? (Marleau,) Hertl? New guys to help take/support leadership?
Great points LS. I think all of those and a strong willingness from Kane to realize hes flushing his career down the toilet. He needs to focus on being the best person he can be. The things he's doing/done, are just plain dysfunctional. Focus on hockey, focus on your career. Stop with the horrendous actions away from the rink. Is it really that hard to stay away from drama? I hope he gets the help/support he needs.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
As much as having kids and a family can ground a man, it can also be a tremendous distraction if things aren’t going well.

I think Couture not having a wife and kids doesn’t mean a whole lot in terms of his leadership. A lot of people simply don’t want them anymore.

Reactions: Boja and Alwalys

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Imo whatever is negativity affecting the locker room is on Couture, Burns, Vlasic, Hertl, Karlsson and whoever has gravitas to address stuff like this... Couture as captain is the face of the group to the public, coaching and mgmt, but the solution is a team effort

EZPZ to be a leader when your team is crushing it

Not as EZ when the proverbial poop has hit the metaphorical fan

And yes I am VERY good manager I can append inspirational quotes to my emails all day if necessary

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Imo whatever is negativity affecting the locker room is on Couture, Burns, Vlasic, Hertl, Karlsson and whoever has gravitas to address stuff like this... Couture as captain is the face of the group to the public, coaching and mgmt, but the solution is a team effort

EZPZ to be a leader when your team is crushing it

Not as EZ when the proverbial poop has hit the metaphorical fan

And yes I am VERY good manager I can append inspirational quotes to my emails all day if necessary

IMO if Wilson manages with inspirational quotes or scout jokes while the team stumbles, then the solution may not be from within the locker room. They could always do a better job of keeping the peace, but at some point it may be above their pay grade.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

We're really going to ding them for choosing divorce like millions of others every year, when all public information points to a relationship in shambles?

I'd also point out that at least last season's public results as a player don't indicate a lack of diligence on Kane's part.

Reactions: Herschel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad