Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
If I'm the Sharks I just pay him to stay away. This team may develop some much needed comrade and confidence in each other. A tighter locker room might help the results on the ice.
assuming Kane is not in the lineup for the foreseeable future, then one of 2 things will happen

a) Sharks tear up the league and start the season lile 12-0-2 or something and Randy’s calling games like “Hertl’s just like a kid out there!”
b) Sharks can’t score a goal to save their life and start 2-11-1, Hertl demands a trade, and everyone forgets all this remembering there’s no actual evidence made public yet and is asking EK9 to come back and save the team

no in between

Reactions: Alwalys

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
True....but he's not suspended. Yet.

Even if he does get suspended, it still is likely to function effectively as dead cap space. For one, no one really worth signing to a contract of any significant value is available anymore.

Second, I'd assume that any suspension wouldn't be a permanent ban, so we'd have to bring him back at some point, likely later in the season or next season, so that also limits what the team could even do with the cap space (which would be under the assumption that they would trade for salary, which, well, logic dictates that will be an unlikely scenario without the team's top goal scorer in the lineup).

These concerns are all trivial compared to what's really in question here, but they do affect the team--from Wilson to Boughner to the players--in a way that will likely only serve to deepen any resentment felt toward Kane.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
True....but he's not suspended. Yet.

Agreeing to not take part in training camp until further notice is a courtesy given because cap space doesn't really matter at this stage. If this isn't resolved by the time the season starts and they need that space to make any sort of move then they will suspend him.

Even if he does get suspended, it still is likely to function effectively as dead cap space. For one, no one really worth signing to a contract of any significant value is available anymore.

Second, I'd assume that any suspension wouldn't be a permanent ban, so we'd have to bring him back at some point, likely later in the season or next season, so that also limits what the team could even do with the cap space (which would be under the assumption that they would trade for salary, which, well, logic dictates that will be an unlikely scenario without the team's top goal scorer in the lineup).

These concerns are all trivial compared to what's really in question here, but they do affect the team--from Wilson to Boughner to the players--in a way that will likely only serve to deepen any resentment felt toward Kane.

I don't see how. If no one is worth signing then the cap space, dead or alive, is irrelevant. If I'm the players, yeah you can feel resentment towards Kane but I would also feel resentment towards management for letting it get like this. They should've dealt with this, even buying him out if that's what it comes to, instead of sitting on their thumbs. They chose to wait it out when the team wanted him gone and they had the chance to buy him out. This is also knowing that most, maybe all, teams have Kane as a do-not acquire so I have issues even believing there's someone out there willing to take him if all this settles down in his favor.

This is to say that this is DW's fault to a lesser degree as well for putting the team in this position in the first place and both fans and players should acknowledge that and act accordingly.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Possibly good opportunities for Blichy and Dahler.

WRT his case, which I assume is still ongoing, the threat of being absent for an unknown time (suspension?? or just premeditated skipping of training camp) would seem to favor Team Kane. It'd send the message to the creditors "I don't have to play or collect a pay check and the hockey people are okay with it. Settle now for the best deal."

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
keep the top 5-10 picks coming. Sharks have never missed the playoffs 3 years in a row in there history. Probably happening this year, we got 3 top 6 forwards and a bunch of middlers and question marks. cheers to the season

Reactions: Shark Finn

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
keep the top 5-10 picks coming. Sharks have never missed the playoffs 3 years in a row in there history. Probably happening this year, we got 3 top 6 forwards and a bunch of middlers and question marks. cheers to the season
The departure of Martin is equivalent to gaining a top line.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The departure of Martin is equivalent to gaining a top line.

Hill and Reimer could easily end up being just as bad behind this defense. At least I hope they are because there's nothing to be gained from them playing well.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Hill and Reimer could easily end up being just as bad behind this defense. At least I hope they are because there's nothing to be gained from them playing well.
Yeah. Why even bother seeing if we may have a potential young #1 goalie when we’re better off sucking so hard to have a small chance to draft a 17 year old!

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Yeah. Why even bother seeing if we may have a potential young #1 goalie when we’re better off sucking so hard to have a small chance to draft a 17 year old!

Hill is a UFA in two years. He's not a long term solution regardless of performance given where the rest of the team is. All him playing well accomplishes is saving Doug Wilson's job and getting another Martin Jones contract on the books.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
It's nuts that if it weren't for the off ice issuesand personal rep, Kane could have been on Canada's roster for the next Olympics.

He was I think #2 Canadian left wing in scoring last year. At the least he'd be in consideration

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Ok. So what’s your plan for goalies in two years?

Who cares? This team is not competing for a Cup for at least 3-5 years. Just sign UFA stopgaps until someone like Gaudreau or Melnichuk or a 2022/23 draft pick is ready.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Who cares? This team is not competing for a Cup for at least 3-5 years. Just sign UFA stopgaps until someone like Gaudreau or Melnichuk or a 2022/23 draft pick is ready.
Lol. Who cares? What, you act like you anticipate this team won’t be ready to compete until like 2041. So you’re also banking on the hopes that one of those draft picks pan out or just keep scooping up retreads instead of having the potential of a #1 goalie still in his prime 3 years down the road.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Lol. Who cares? What, you act like you anticipate this team won’t be ready to compete until like 2041. So you’re also banking on the hopes that one of those draft picks pan out or just keep scooping up retreads instead of having the potential of a #1 goalie still in his prime 3 years down the road.

Goalie is literally the easiest position to fill and the most fungible. Odds are Hill is not a Vasilevskiy/Hellebuyck tier goalie or he would have shown it by now. At best he's in that top 10-20 range of goalies who are unpredictable from year to year and not much better than the guys available on the UFA market every summer. I would much rather draft in the top 5 than have Hill lift us into playoff bubble territory and earn a 6-year contract extension while the rest of the team is years and years away from contending.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Goalie is literally the easiest position to fill and the most fungible. Odds are Hill is not a Vasilevskiy/Hellebuyck tier goalie or he would have shown it by now. At best he's in that top 10-20 range of goalies who are unpredictable from year to year and not much better than the guys available on the UFA market every summer. I would much rather draft in the top 5 than have Hill lift us into playoff bubble territory and earn a 6-year contract extension while the rest of the team is years and years away from contending.
Hellebuyck was a 5th rounder who, when he was 26 had a 2.90 GAA in his third year in 62 games.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Hellebuyck was a 5th rounder who, when he was 26 had a 2.90 GAA in his third year in 62 games.

Who still uses GAA to evaluate goalies? Hellebuyck had a .913 SV% that year and a .916 SV% in 150 NHL games during his 22-25 year old seasons. He also dominated the AHL. Hill has shown nothing even close to that.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Who still uses GAA to evaluate goalies? Hellebuyck had a .913 SV% that year and a .916 SV% in 150 NHL games during his 22-25 year old seasons. He also dominated the AHL. Hill has shown nothing even close to that.
Hill has a .916 save percentage albeit in limited games in the last two seasons on a vastly inferior Phoenix squad. Why are you so against the possibility that Hill may end up being good? Is it because you’d rather die on a hill than ever have to admit DW may have made a good trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad