Value of: Evander Kane To Vancouver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
don't do it Vancouver... PLEASE don't do it... his hometown, going to hang out with his buddies he grew up with and get into trouble. While playing junior in Van, he wasn't well liked amongst his teammates and was always out with his buddies away from the team. I realize in NHL you don't have to hang out with your teammates away from the rink, but you gotta be sure you have a good working relationship with them.

This will be a disaster if Benning does this... I shook my head the instant Murray traded for him in Buffalo due to the unreal youth Sabres have and how much of a disaster it would be having the youth look up to him... and ofcourse it went sideways.... and now its rumored Van could take a run at him now too? I don't want to see the youth around this guy... stay away Benning!!!

Vancouver Giants he was a bad teammate, Winnipeg he was a bad teammate, Buffalo hes a bad teammate and getting into trouble with the law... somewhat of a trend here

Do you have a source for this? Not saying your wrong, but I haven't heard this before.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
idk maybe if checks into 30 AA meetings in 30 days along with training, and being around his family, could be a cure.

Kane takes his training pretty seriously so I don't think that's the problem, nor do I suspect he has a drinking problem. He has a stupid problem. He thinks he's a rockstar. Going to his hometown where some will treat him like a star could only hurt.

I'm not even sure how much he cares about being the best player he could be at this point anymore. It seems more like he wants to be famous for partying and to build his "brand" that way.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Ben Kuzma a beat reporter in Vancouver said he's called Sabres to find out about what it would take to get Kane and THEY brought up Sbisa. It's not some far fetched crazy idea.

Most of the crap that Sbisa gets on these boards are from whiny Canucks fans that just scream fire everyone and believe that all our players suck. Canucks might need to add a pick, but that's value for value at this point in time.

Why would the Sabres talk players and trades w a beat reporter? Sounds beyond absurd unless there's a hell of a lot more to this story

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Why would the Sabres talk players and trades w a beat reporter? Sounds beyond absurd unless there's a hell of a lot more to this story

Yah I would like to know more about this as well, I mean why would the sabres be so transparent with a reporter that has nothing to do with the team?

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Fast forward and the Canucks face a polarizing decision. Make a play for Kane, and many believe he can’t and won’t change his off-ice demeanour. At one point Monday, a TSN 1040 poll showed 56 per cent of 700 respondents didn’t want the Canucks to make a trade pitch. Then again, make a play and others will point to an exciting 30-goal winger with a palatable contract of two more years at a $5.2-million-US annual cap hit ($6 million in actual salary). The Canucks have also had past interest in Kane.

Kane has scored 30 goals 1 time. Other players have scored 30 goals 1 time. He may very well return to that mark but he will have to prove it. He would need to prove an attitude change and the ability to stay healthy for most of the season to do it. Otherwise, I don't consider him a 30 goal scorer and most of the excitement seems to happen after the season.

He scored 30 goals in 74 games in 2011-12.

But he hasn't played a full season yet as injuries, off ice issues and a strike have reduced his games played. He scored at a 29 GPG pace in 2012-113, a 25 GPG pace in 2013-14 and 2015-16. He has 129 NHL goals. Only John Tavares (207) and Matt Duchene (156) from his draft year have more. No mistake about it, he's a VERY good hockey player, just not much of a human being. But there are a lot of 24 year old d*****bags and he could grow up.

PancakeHero

May 13, 2013
Pawnee
Can't believe Tanev is even being mentioned in this thread. I'd take Kane, I like a gamble, but it's at a rock bottom price or not at all.

This. Tanev would require a big asset/s coming back. Kane is not that asset. He's a total risk and should garner no more than a 4-6 defender and or lesser draft pick. He's also not worth trading Hansen for him. Kane is ALL risk at this point and Buffalo needs to just take the hit if they want to get rid of him.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo is not going to give Kane up for free...a decent asset will be coming back. No rush to trade him, he has been good in the locker-room by all accounts...just a head case outside of the rink.

PancakeHero

May 13, 2013
Pawnee
Buffalo is not going to give Kane up for free...a decent asset will be coming back. No rush to trade him, he has been good in the locker-room by all accounts...just a head case outside of the rink.

That's fine. It doesn't change the fact that there's no way should Vancouver take the risk for anything more than I suggested.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
That's fine. It doesn't change the fact that there's no way should Vancouver take the risk for anything more than I suggested.

That's fair...Don't think there is a trade to be made here. Kane has two more years under contract, no need to move him at this time.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

I don't think the canucks are the best team for Jane to turn his life around.

1) being home likely won't help him. He's 24 and isn't going to be living with his parents. No longer their way or the highway. Would he still be putting himself into questionable situations if he was concerned about what his family would think?
2) Vancouver media is worse and more scrutinizing then Winnipeg's. If he can't handle Winnipeg, he won't make it in Vancouver.
3) Kane really needs a stronger leadership group. Don't think the twins can handle him. Even big buff stepped up against him and Kane bolted from the team.

He hasn't figured out how to be a pro. The top end of his 2009 class has figured it out. Tavares, hedman, Duchene, Schenn, OEL.

Can't keep blaming lack of leaders. Remember, Ladd did suit up for Atlanta, so he was with Kane since the 2010-2011 season. So, since Kane was in year 2 in the NHL. If he didn't learn from Ladd, Wheeler, etc., No one to blame but himself.

A bargain basement cost is worth the gamble for the canucks, but anything more isn't. Too much can go wrong bringing him to Vancouver from a non hockey pov.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

But he hasn't played a full season yet as injuries, off ice issues and a strike have reduced his games played. He scored at a 29 GPG pace in 2012-113, a 25 GPG pace in 2013-14 and 2015-16. He has 129 NHL goals. Only John Tavares (207) and Matt Duchene (156) from his draft year have more. No mistake about it, he's a VERY good hockey player, just not much of a human being. But there are a lot of 24 year old d*****bags and he could grow up.
All you've proven here is that there is a track record of Kane not playing an entire season. I seriously doubt that GM's care about what pace a player can play at if he can't stay healthy long enough to have an impact on the season.
Also Seguin, Skinner, Hall,(and most like Tarasenko this season) have already passed even though they were drafted a year later. Actually, what does a draft from 7 years ago have to do with the value of a player anymore? :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Its interesting that the 2011-12 season was his high water mark both in terms of goals and point production. That year lead to his contract and his production has gone down since then.

2011-12 0.77 ppg
2012-13 0.69 ppg
2013-14 0.65 ppg
2014-15 0.59 ppg
2015-16 0.54 ppg

In 2012 he looked like he was well on his way to turning into a dominant first line LW that could drive possession. Since then there really hasn't been any growth in his overall game which means he is still overly reliant on his raw athletic ability. I think some of the decline in his play can be tied to the growing wear and tare.

I am curious to how other GMs view his upside as of now vs if they want to take on the off ice risks that will come with Kane.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Tanev is likely not seen as great by Benning since he thinks analytics are a joke. And may very well see Kris Russell as a replacement for Tanev. Seeing as the ownership want to win now, trading the non sexy defenseman for 2 flashy forwards and an offensive defenseman looks amazing if you ignore anything but the stats.

Likely idea trade:

To VAN:
Ennis
Kane(1mil retained)
Franson(50% retained)

To BUF:
Burrows
Tanev
and a 2018 5th (continues Benning's strange need to add late picks to every trade)

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
1. Tanev is likely not seen as great by Benning since he thinks analytics are a joke. 2. And may very well see Kris Russell as a replacement for Tanev. 3. Seeing as the ownership want to win now, trading the non sexy defenseman for 2 flashy forwards and an offensive defenseman looks amazing if you ignore anything but the stats.

Likely idea trade:

To VAN:
Ennis
Kane(1mil retained)
Franson(50% retained)

To BUF:
Burrows
Tanev
and a 2018 5th (continues Benning's strange need to add late picks to every trade)

1. Really? When did he say this?

2. Uhhh no

3. Trading a top pairing Dman away for 3 middle sixers, maybe you don't understand hockey, but that wouldn't help us win.

4. I don't know if your just trolling on here or you just have a complete lack of hockey knowledge. Can't figure out which would be worse.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
1. Really? When did he say this?

2. Uhhh no

3. Trading a top pairing Dman away for 3 middle sixers, maybe you don't understand hockey, but that wouldn't help us win.

4. I don't know if your just trolling on here or you just have a complete lack of hockey knowledge. Can't figure out which would be worse.

But this clearly worked for him in NHL16

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Boy I mist have forgotten that every NHL player must be a perfectly behaved choir boy to play in the league...

Kane's only criminal charge is trespassing. From this thread you'd think he was facing serious jail time.

The Sabres will just keep him for now. They're not trading him unless it makes the team better. Buffalo is going for the playoffs. Tim Murray already said he is going to wait to see how this situation works out before he even thinks about doing anything. He made sure to point out that the last situation involving Kane was a whole bunch of nothing too.
Plus, I believe Tim Murray is in the last year of his contract right now. He's not selling Kane for peanuts after just trading away multiple players and a 1st round pick for him. How would that conversation go when he's talking to Pegula about a contract extension?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
See this is where things usually sideways. I could care less who the fans of each team they are, doesn't remove the suggestion.
This is my problem, Kane has legal troubles, as in he has actually been arrested and is facing charges for violence against women. This isn't his first offence in this, this year! So again I have to ask, where is his value to any NHL team acquiring him? Hell his arch-nemesis Dusty Buff almost couldn't play cross border due to less legal trouble.
Jannik Hansen adds value to a team on the ice and off, comes in at 2.5 million cap hit, scores 30-40 points a season, brings highend PK ability and is the perfect utility player to compliment skilled scorers. So what are the Sabres offering of actual value to an NHL organization on top of Kane?

If I see the kid who kept claiming Kane will bounce back like Patty Kane. Well Pat Kane has all world skill in every aspect of the game of hockey, not just skating fast in a straight line or shooting the puck hard. He also is well liked by his teammates, coaching staff, management team and team's fans. Something Evander has not had in his two stops in the NHL so far.

I say it is.

The first "offense" amounted to absolutely nothing. He was never charged with anything. He was never even accused of anything at all. Not by the girl, not by the police. He got caught in a hospital policy situation. They have to report these things to the police, but he was never actually accused of anything. He was investigated and fully cleared of any wrong doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad