Proposal: Evander Kane to Ottawa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Almost total confusion.

So killing someone is ok (as long as you admit it was a big mistake) but what E. Kane does is somehow worse?

Heatley killed his friend in a 100% total accident while recklessly driving as a 24 year old.

Kane was an absolutely horrible teammate in Winnipeg, so much so that his teammates actively started taking action against him until he was traded. He has a wildly obnoxious presence on social media, so much so that his team told him to reduce his activity on social media. He only lasted 12 games in the KHL and "mutually parted ways" after not being a good fit for the club. He has been accused of assault multiple times. He has a history of being a healthy scratch (which I can't imagine is for on ice performance since he is definitely an NHL caliber player). His former coach has openly said to the media that he was "a challenge". He has missed practice with the Sabers.

Heatley - at least prior to his trade demands in Ottawa - had absolutely zero indication that he was a bad person or teammate.

Kane? Total opposite.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Almost total confusion.

So killing someone is ok (as long as you admit it was a big mistake) but what E. Kane does is somehow worse?

The character issues have been a huge factor since his 16 year old season in Vancouver. Almost a full decade. He carries that character baggage, which teams, especially after the xxx time and second team, are going to stay away from.

Heatley made a terrible mistake, which resulted in the death of his teammate and friend. He carried emotional baggage, much different.

Also, there's the part about Kane not being a quarter the player Heatley was.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
The character issues have been a huge factor since his 16 year old season in Vancouver. Almost a full decade. He carries that character baggage, which teams, especially after the xxx time and second team, are going to stay away from.

Heatley made a terrible mistake, which resulted in the death of his teammate and friend. He carried emotional baggage, much different.

Also, there's the part about Kane not being a quarter the player Heatley was.

Prime Heatley is very comparable to Kane... just not Evander.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
:sens

Kane could put a stop to all this Twitter nonsense tomorrow. A fresh start in Ottawa, ON might be the exact thing he needs to start over.

He's 25 and fresh off of scoring 20 goals on a bad team. He sure could help The Sens, but the risk has to be there. Why not go for it? Ottawa has been a win now organization for the last few seasons. E. Kane helps put them over the top.

No one here is open enough to shake gossip and innuendo. Just forget it and accept E. Kane.

:sens

Tell you what, Mr Leafs fan, if you love Evander so much, YOU take him for Toronto.

We want no part of that garbage human being in Ottawa.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The Sabres right now are like Larry David and Evander Kane is the disgusting fifty dollar bill the Jets had in their shoe.

lol

If the Sabres don't want to weather the storm of trying to be Evander Kane's next chance to fly right, and want to trade him, someone is going to get the opportunity to buy low on a possible 30 goal scorer at the expense of having to take a huge risk on what looks to be a toxic person.

This isn't the same as the ROR situation, where he did something stupid off the ice, but he had a resounding reputation as a great leader and a fantastic guy to have in the room.

I don't think Ottawa is the right team to take advantage of this "opportunity". They'd need to ship out someone like MacArthur for cap reasons, and they are deadset on trying to win over the next two to three seasons. They don't need a project like Kane who could possibly disrupt the chemistry in the room that they've built up over the last few years.

A re-tooling or rebuilding team with experienced management and a strong veteran core would be a good place for him.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
People say it's a laughable offer but... with his off ice issues that follow him around wherever he goes, I'm not sure if the Sabres could get much more...

Assuming MacArthur's concussion issues are behind him, I wouldn't pull the trigger on the offer in the OP. Moving one of the veterans in the room for a guy in Evander Kane's situation is way too big of a risk. Kane's upside is him becoming a much better player than MacArthur, but currently over the last few seasons they've both produced similarly.

Puempel is a guy you'll probably see bunched into a lot of Senators proposals on the trade board by fans obsessed with "winning" fantasy trades for their team because he has the shine of being a former first round pick but a lot of Sens fans seem to be close to giving up on him. With that said, he's looked decent in bottom 6 roles on Ottawa and has scored at a very good pace in the AHL. He is a goal scorer whose yet to really get an opportunity to play in a top 6 role in the NHL, and I still think he could be a top six player. There's a reason the Sens organization have yet to give up on him but shipped out Prince.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
lol

If the Sabres don't want to weather the storm of trying to be Evander Kane's next chance to fly right, and want to trade him, someone is going to get the opportunity to buy low on a possible 30 goal scorer at the expense of having to take a huge risk on what looks to be a toxic person.

This isn't the same as the ROR situation, where he did something stupid off the ice, but he had a resounding reputation as a great leader and a fantastic guy to have in the room.

I don't think Ottawa is the right team to take advantage of this "opportunity". They'd need to ship out someone like MacArthur for cap reasons, and they are deadset on trying to win over the next two to three seasons. They don't need a project like Kane who could possibly disrupt the chemistry in the room that they've built up over the last few years.

A re-tooling or rebuilding team with experienced management and a strong veteran core would be a good place for him.

The reason I lost respect for Tim Murray was bringing Kane in. He literally had been kicked off the team by his teammates. He was put in IR and was no longer on the Jets roster. Buffalo was the youngest and worst and most inexperienced team in the league... Why bring in an obvious locker room and off ice cancer to a team that needs leadership and not a completely negative, unprofessional influence.

If somehow Kane ended up in San Jose or Chicago or LA... Or something... At least you really do have a vet experienced team to not get derailed by Kane... And maybe set him right.

Buffalo getting Kane when they did was one of the dumbest NHL moves I can ever remember.

Sabres should suspend him and try to trade or waive him. He needs gone. You don't want him around a fresh and developing team of players.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Re: Heatley - let's not forget that Snyder's family was able to forgive him, realizing it was an accident, and that Dany would do anything to take it back.

No, it doesn't make it go away and, no, that does not mean it's OK to drive in a way that is reckless and dangerous. He owned up to his mistake, probably the most difficult and painful thing he has had to do in his life, and did what he could do to make it right before going to Ottawa.

Kane has not done anything to cause the end of anyone's life, but that misses the point here. He doesn't seem to be learning from the actions he takes to put himself in the wayward positions which land his name in headlines. He doesn't show any signs of maturing. As long as that is the case, he is a huge risk for any team to take on. Tack onto that his relatively large contract and the Senators' apparent self-imposed budget, and you have too much risk for not enough return, even if he goes back to his 30 goals form that 1) happened five years ago, and 2) happened once.

That is what I meant when I said that it appeared as though the person who brought it up wasn't basing their opinion on anything that makes sense. It isn't an inability to forgive Kane. It is a realization that, until he owns up to his mistakes and begins to mature, he is a major liability that not many teams should be interested in attempting to acquire. The Sens aren't even on that list of teams.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Re: Heatley - let's not forget that Snyder's family was able to forgive him, realizing it was an accident, and that Dany would do anything to take it back.

No, it doesn't make it go away and, no, that does not mean it's OK to drive in a way that is reckless and dangerous. He owned up to his mistake, probably the most difficult and painful thing he has had to do in his life, and did what he could do to make it right before going to Ottawa.

Kane has not done anything to cause the end of anyone's life, but that misses the point here. He doesn't seem to be learning from the actions he takes to put himself in the wayward positions which land his name in headlines. He doesn't show any signs of maturing. As long as that is the case, he is a huge risk for any team to take on. Tack onto that his relatively large contract and the Senators' apparent self-imposed budget, and you have too much risk for not enough return, even if he goes back to his 30 goals form that 1) happened five years ago, and 2) happened once.

That is what I meant when I said that it appeared as though the person who brought it up wasn't basing their opinion on anything that makes sense. It isn't an inability to forgive Kane. It is a realization that, until he owns up to his mistakes and begins to mature, he is a major liability that not many teams should be interested in attempting to acquire. The Sens aren't even on that list of teams.

Excellent post

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah I wouldn't take Kane off waivers if I were the Senators.

Not the kind of guy i want around all the Sens' young guns.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Key word is accident.

1. an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.

2. an event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause.

Can we call Kane's behavior an "accident"

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
And by that you mean what?

"In late September 2003, Heatley drove his Ferrari approximately 130 km/h down a narrow, two-lane Atlanta road when he spun out of control and smashed into a brick and wrought-iron fence."

I mean it was the biggest mistake of his life and a stupid thing to do, but this is hardly anything similar to the way Kane conducts himself in his personal life and with his teammates (at least in Winnipeg).

Again I hate Heatley and think demanding a trade and then using your NMC to avoid going to specifics teams is nothing short of disgusting, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with Heatley before he came to Ottawa.

I agree that Kane's off ice behaviour is bad, but lets not completely dismiss Heatley. As much as it was an accident, he had poor judgement, made a poor decision, acted like a jackass and killed his friend. Let's not push that aside as "absolutely nothing wrong".

ForSpareParts*

Problems:

-Too many posters here have been in the Jets' locker room.
- 20 goals last season is considered a failure.
-Murray is now dumping off Kane after one season based on 0 court rulings.
-Too many short-term and long-term memory issues of posters here: Heatley way fine before, during, and after he was a Sen. Accidentally killing a team mate -no problem. Second chances are always given from everyone. Forcing (demanding) a trade from the Sens and holding all the cards. No problem. Give you a third chance. No problem.
-So much discussion here about what Kane does off the ice. It makes me wonder if the only way he can be a Sen is if he goes straight and never misses a Sunday church meeting.

????

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I agree that Kane's off ice behaviour is bad, but lets not completely dismiss Heatley. As much as it was an accident, he had poor judgement, made a poor decision, acted like a jackass and killed his friend. Let's not push that aside as "absolutely nothing wrong".

Sure, what he did was certainly very wrong so my apologies on that wording.

I meant there was nothing wrong in the context of me worrying about having him on my hockey team, which I stand by.

He made a mistake driving recklessly (I think most people have to be honest) that ended horribly and resulted in probably the worst thing that has ever happened in Heatley's life.

But I wouldn't concern myself with that accident when deciding if I want him on my team or not.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Problems:

-Too many short-term and long-term memory issues of posters here: Heatley way fine before, during, and after he was a Sen. Accidentally killing a team mate -no problem. Second chances are always given from everyone. Forcing (demanding) a trade from the Sens and holding all the cards. No problem. Give you a third chance. No problem.
-So much discussion here about what Kane does off the ice. It makes me wonder if the only way he can be a Sen is if he goes straight and never misses a Sunday church meeting.

????

Here are the real problems:

Your first "problem" is a strawman. Of course none of us have been in the Jets locker room, but what does that have to do with thinking Ottawa wouldn't want to make a trade for Kane?

Who has said 20 goals is a failure? It's more like his production isn't enough to make up for the very real risk of obtaining a player with the ongoing off-ice issues we know come with Kane at present.

Murray is dumping him off? Source? Further, doesn't your first "problem" create a problem for your third "problem"? Are you in the Buffalo locker room? How do you know, assuming Murray is dumping him off, it doesn't have to do with things outside the jurisdiction of a court of law?

You seem to just have ignored at least some of the talk of Heatley. Most notably, my post in which I mentioned the fact that Snyder's parents said they forgave Heatley for the accident? I've only seen one person who said that he had no problems when he went to the Sens, and that same poster said that his demanding of a trade was a problem when he was with the Sens. This "problem" seems to not even exist. Rather, it seems to have been entirely invented.

The last problem highlights your desire to continue to ignore a very-real reason as to why Sens fans wouldn't want to see their team give up assets to bring him in. Has anyone implied that Kane would need to begin to go to church in order to be seen as a valuable target for acquisition? I haven't seen it.

I think the real problem is just a lack of desire to accept that fans of a team simply don't want to see their team acquire a player. Why? Aren't Sens fans well within their rights to say that they don't want to see their team go after a player? What reasons would you accept as valid?

I'm a Preds fan. I wouldn't want to see my team go after Kane. Here are my reasons:

-While Nashville needs a top six winger, Evander Kane does not appear to have the kind of production and ability to stay in the line up that would make him a better option than what we already have.

-He has a string of publicized off-ice issues which make him appear to be a high-risk player. Even if he never commits a crime for which he is charged and placed on trial, these types of distractions aren't great for the team. Yes, I know Mike Ribeiro plays for the Predators. That changes nothing, nor does it mean I approve of any bad things Mike Ribeiro has done or may have done in his past. Why should I want to open my arms for another player with that kind of baggage? It doesn't make me a hypocrite in any way.

-With the above two reasons having been stated, Evander Kane would not come for free. Assets would needed to be spent to obtain him, and even if those assets are late-round draft picks he would take up a contract spot, cap space and maybe a roster spot. I don't see him making the team better.

Are those reasons sufficient, or am I supposedly ignoring something? Keep in mind I am fully aware that he scored 20 goals last year. So did four players already on the roster [Forsberg (33), Neal (31), Smith (21), Weber (20)], with a fifth coming close [Jarnkrok (16)] and a sixth who has scored 33 and 26 goals in two recent seasons (much more recent than Kane's last 30 goal season).

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Problems:

????

Dany Heatley had 40 & 50 goal seasons.

Evander Kane is a 20 goal, 40 point player making $5.25M per year. If he wasn't so stupid outside of hockey, we might be complaining that he isn't earning his salary.

Moron, replaceable player, high salary... nobody wants this.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Dany Heatley had 40 & 50 goal seasons.

Evander Kane is a 20 goal, 40 point player making $5.25M per year. If he wasn't so stupid outside of hockey, we might be complaining that he isn't earning his salary.

Moron, replaceable player, high salary... nobody wants this.

I should've just said these things. It would have been a lot less typing :laugh:

But yes, he is definitely under-performing based on his salary

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
This is the issue I find with this whole Evander situation.

Is he causing off ice issues and an embarrassing sideshow for himself and the franchise? Yes for sure.

That doesn't equate to him causing issues within the locker room, or his teammates hating him, or working with him. What is happening right now, and causing problems in the locker room are two different things.

You can be an utter piece of **** off the ice, but still be a good teammate or a likable guy in the locker room. He had locker room issues in Winnipeg, but there have been no reports of his teammates having issues with him here.

Lots of reports of issues with teammates in Buff including Gionta.

ForSpareParts*

Here are the real problems:

Your first "problem" is a strawman. Of course none of us have been in the Jets locker room, but what does that have to do with thinking Ottawa wouldn't want to make a trade for Kane?

Who has said 20 goals is a failure? It's more like his production isn't enough to make up for the very real risk of obtaining a player with the ongoing off-ice issues we know come with Kane at present.

Murray is dumping him off? Source? Further, doesn't your first "problem" create a problem for your third "problem"? Are you in the Buffalo locker room? How do you know, assuming Murray is dumping him off, it doesn't have to do with things outside the jurisdiction of a court of law?

You seem to just have ignored at least some of the talk of Heatley. Most notably, my post in which I mentioned the fact that Snyder's parents said they forgave Heatley for the accident? I've only seen one person who said that he had no problems when he went to the Sens, and that same poster said that his demanding of a trade was a problem when he was with the Sens. This "problem" seems to not even exist. Rather, it seems to have been entirely invented.

The last problem highlights your desire to continue to ignore a very-real reason as to why Sens fans wouldn't want to see their team give up assets to bring him in. Has anyone implied that Kane would need to begin to go to church in order to be seen as a valuable target for acquisition? I haven't seen it.

I think the real problem is just a lack of desire to accept that fans of a team simply don't want to see their team acquire a player. Why? Aren't Sens fans well within their rights to say that they don't want to see their team go after a player? What reasons would you accept as valid?

I'm a Preds fan. I wouldn't want to see my team go after Kane. Here are my reasons:

-While Nashville needs a top six winger, Evander Kane does not appear to have the kind of production and ability to stay in the line up that would make him a better option than what we already have.

-He has a string of publicized off-ice issues which make him appear to be a high-risk player. Even if he never commits a crime for which he is charged and placed on trial, these types of distractions aren't great for the team. Yes, I know Mike Ribeiro plays for the Predators. That changes nothing, nor does it mean I approve of any bad things Mike Ribeiro has done or may have done in his past. Why should I want to open my arms for another player with that kind of baggage? It doesn't make me a hypocrite in any way.

-With the above two reasons having been stated, Evander Kane would not come for free. Assets would needed to be spent to obtain him, and even if those assets are late-round draft picks he would take up a contract spot, cap space and maybe a roster spot. I don't see him making the team better.

Are those reasons sufficient, or am I supposedly ignoring something? Keep in mind I am fully aware that he scored 20 goals last year. So did four players already on the roster [Forsberg (33), Neal (31), Smith (21), Weber (20)], with a fifth coming close [Jarnkrok (16)] and a sixth who has scored 33 and 26 goals in two recent seasons (much more recent than Kane's last 30 goal season).

Many of the previous posts in this thread claim that Murray is trying to get rid of Kane. Many also claim to know exactly what went on in Winnipeg.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Have you not read anything in this thread, or even in the last page or so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad