LeBrun: Evander Kane close to signing, will happen by the weekend per his agent (EDM, FLA, TB top 3 choices)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Not that It was in my post. However one example is the Ethan Bear interview.
Saying how he left and the team said nothing and went on his way. The guy basically had to be traded because of racism by fans not by teammates. Not even a teammate coming over and saying it's alright or anything. Wack

This is all paraphrasing.

Just feel that's one example. Maybe why Keith got brought in to do some leadership?
Where is this coming from? I thought the support for Bear was just fine? Didn’t Holland address it at length in a presser?

Reactions: TFHockey

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
I know a gm who loves toughness in the room and has a group lead by Crosby that is probably looking for one last serious run until rust Malkin Kap Letang all need paid
Not saying that someone won't do it, just questioning the wisdom.

GMs have made too many jaw-droppingly stupid decisions for me to be surprised anymore. There's always a chance this one will work, but the last decade of Kane's behavior indicates otherwise.

We aren't even good armchair GMs so my opinion (like pretty much everyone else here) holds little/no weight.

Reactions: bigdaddyk88

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I’d bet on Vegas, but think it’s also possible he ends up in Carolina or Colorado, maybe Florida. I don’t think there’s a chance he ends up in Edmonton unless they offer him the most money, by a whole lot.
Vegas has the willingness to make personnel changes at the drop of a hat, so that makes sense. But they are also going to need to make room just to get Jack on the team in a few weeks. I'm not sure they will want to add one more variable to that process. I'd bet on Boston over Vegas. They have a really strong leadership group and could make it work for this year I think.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Highly doubtful. Kane needs money desperately.
He's going to play his bag off for the next 4 months and hit free agency in July with all being forgotten. He could easily pick up a 20 million dollar offer in July

If he wants a massive offer in July, he might rightly believe he can generate massive numbers on either Draisaitl's or McDavid's wing. Score 30 goals in the remaining games and teams will be pouding down his door, more than they are right now.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Saying how he left and the team said nothing and went on his way. The guy basically had to be traded because of racism by fans not by teammates. Not even a teammate coming over and saying it's alright or anything. Wack

Just feel that's one example. Maybe why Keith got brought in to do some leadership?
You have a link to this, because every report I've seen says otherwise.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Paraphrasing, conjecture, or make believe?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Vegas has the willingness to make personnel changes at the drop of a hat, so that makes sense. But they are also going to need to make room just to get Jack on the team in a few weeks. I'm not sure they will want to add one more variable to that process. I'd bet on Boston over Vegas. They have a really strong leadership group and could make it work for this year I think.

Bringing in Kane at 1m would actually help their cap situation.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Can't have anything to do with Kane. Isn't his contract termination still up in the air?

He's a UFA, but the grievance process is still ongoing, so that clouds things at the moment if he ends up winning and still has a contract with SJ.

I guess with this presser Holland will just try to keep the people with pitch forks at bay, and will have nothing to say about EK, but we'll see.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't get why people think this would be a bad move for the Oilers. They desperately need talent and are in the middle of a free-fall. Adding Kane isn't the kind of move that a team who is playing well makes, just because of all of the baggage that Kane comes with. Teams like Pittsburgh, Florida and Carolina won't want to potentially upend the cart by adding someone with Kane's baggage in the middle of a season.

Not only is Edmonton in a free fall this year, but they're also getting desperately close to "wasting McDavid's prime" territory due to their lack of success. This kind of high risk, high reward type of move is exactly the kind of move they should be making. This isn't dumpster diving like the Oilers have done in recent years with adding guys like Turris, Keith, Ryan and Smith.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don’t like it when bad people do bad things and still get rewarded. It’s a perverse system.

I hope the team that signs him becomes worse as a result.
Those mistakes have potentially cost him nearly $22m in future earnings. I don't see how you believe he's coming out on top here.

He'll get an opportunity to choose his destination because he's an elite athlete. But his behavior will prevent him from ever making the type of money he would have if he acted like an adult.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What happens if the termination is determined to be invalid and he's already signed with another team?

In the highly unlikely event that that occurred, they'd either revert things to put him back on the Sharks cap. The most likely result though is a settlement where whatever the Sharks pay out to Kane for the termination will be a cap hit spread out over so many years and Kane still is moved on from.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
In the highly unlikely event that that occurred, they'd either revert things to put him back on the Sharks cap. The most likely result though is a settlement where whatever the Sharks pay out to Kane for the termination will be a cap hit spread out over so many years and Kane still is moved on from.
Thanks. I'm surprised there aren't definitive rules around this.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada

I agree a mutual settlement is the likely resolution - would be shocking if SJ managed to not retain any cap hit whatsoever from all of this.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Where is this coming from? I thought the support for Bear was just fine? Didn’t Holland address it at length in a presser?
Yes he did. Bear did say in an interview after he was traded that he felt "alone" during that time, which implies a lot but doesn't actually say anything concrete. It could have been that the team shunned him. It could also be that they did try to reach out but it didn't really help. I don't think anyone really knows what went on behind the scenes, but I do know that the segment of Oiler "fans" who were saying those things online are awful people.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Thanks. I'm surprised there aren't definitive rules around this.

Well, there is. It's playing out as we are seeing. The only part that is a bit uncertain is the resolution of the grievance because it can go to arbitration that is out of both the NHL and PA's hands. Hard to make definitive rules when a 3rd party is needed to resolve some things and they have a certain amount of flexibility to go with the most likely possibility of the two sides settling.

I agree a mutual settlement is the likely resolution - would be shocking if SJ managed to not retain any cap hit whatsoever from all of this.

I don't expect the Sharks to come out of this without retaining some cap hit. I just don't expect it to be that much.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Those mistakes have potentially cost him nearly $22m in future earnings. I don't see how you believe he's coming out on top here.

He'll get an opportunity to choose his destination because he's an elite athlete. But his behavior will prevent him from ever making the type of money he would have if he acted like an adult.

He's not losing $22 million in future earnings, he's going to get a significant chunk of that money through settlement/arbitration and will be able to sign new contracts elsewhere.

Reactions: Voight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad