LeBrun: Evander Kane close to signing, will happen by the weekend per his agent (EDM, FLA, TB top 3 choices)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
He has family there that he takes care of that could certainly do that work for him if he wants them to. Again, if he had an emergency to take care of, that would be very easy to prove for him and nothing even remotely close to that has even been hinted at.

He still needed to get medical clearance to leave quarantine and he never got that so even if he can travel according to the governments, he didn't follow protocol as it relates to his contract.

You can keep trying to point to government stuff and all that but that's simply moving the goal post. What you put these allegations against is the league's protocols and he didn't follow them allegedly so this other stuff you keep trying to bring into this is absolutely irrelevant.

How am I moving the goal posts?

All I said initially was that I honestly don't think him entering Canada is concerning behavior in the slightest in the grand scheme of things. I think most people, regardless of character, would act similarly in similar circumstances.

I think Kanes a scumbag, and although I would like the Oilers to have Kane the hockey player, I'm generally hesitant given his character.

I understand that perhaps the league can discipline him. I would argue that him going is likely covered by emergency leave provisions in the CBA, and that the COVID-19 restrictions in the league years after the CBA was signed, so I doubt they negate the emergency leave provisions concretely.

That being said I think both the Sharks and Kane are happy about the termination of his contract, but I think the investigation is more about cap penalties and Kanes right to payment.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Hard not to like Tampa
A stanly cup contender year in year our. Surrounded by great cast and a world class goalie
Florida by the beach..

Reactions: Confucius

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

All I said initially was that I honestly don't think him entering Canada is concerning behavior in the slightest in the grand scheme of things. I think most people, regardless of character, would act similarly in similar circumstances.

I think Kanes a scumbag, and although I would like the Oilers to have Kane the hockey player, I'm generally hesitant given his character.

I understand that perhaps the league can discipline him. I would argue that him going is likely covered by emergency leave provisions in the CBA, and that the COVID-19 restrictions in the league years after the CBA was signed, so I doubt they negate the emergency leave provisions concretely.

That being said I think both the Sharks and Kane are happy about the termination of his contract, but I think the investigation is more about cap penalties and Kanes right to payment.
You sort of have to notify your team you are taking emergency leave, give a valid reason, and show back up in a prompt manner. This is just another thing in the long-list of teams getting fed up with his unprofessional behavior.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Not terminated like you’ve been told.

Emergency leave can be granted with permissions, which weren’t obtained, and protocols still override that.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Because pointing to federal government protocol when the discussion was about his violating league protocols is moving the goal posts. Him entering Canada isn't really the crux of the problem here. The crux of the problem is him leaving quarantine before medical clearance. Now if he actually provided any sort of evidence that he was doing so due to an emergency situation, that would be easy to prove for him. The fact that it hasn't been discussed a single bit leads me to believe that there is no such situation to justify leaving quarantine and then not reporting to the team for another week. Considering this flood happened two weeks before he travelled, I have a hard time believing that a legitimate emergency would cover the travel and then also the not reporting for a week afterwards.

There is no negating emergency leave provisions. You still need to notify someone before you just take off but again this isn't really about that.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Not terminated like you’ve been told.

Emergency leave can be granted with permissions, which weren’t obtained, and protocols still override that.

If this violation was serious enough to void his contract, why would the league allow him to sign another? It makes little sense. If his action was so bad you would think he would be barred from the league.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
You can keep trying to point to government stuff and all that but that's simply moving the goal post. What you put these allegations against is the league's protocols and he didn't follow them allegedly so this other stuff you keep trying to bring into this is absolutely irrelevant.
Sure, but the Sharks contract has already been terminated so the NHL continuing to supposedly “investigate” those circumstances would be moot, and makes them look petty. Had Friedman’s tweet come out before contract termination it would be a different story, but now it looks like there’s some other angle.

If the NHL has some evidence that Kane violated the law somewhere, that would be interesting. But that seems unlikely.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I also think its next to impossible for him to inflate his value no matter how he does with all the off ice shenanigans he's always linked to.

Many thought there would be 0 interest in him by any NHL teams which turned out to be untrue.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If this violation was serious enough to void his contract, why would the league allow him to sign another? It makes little sense. If his action was so bad you would think he would be barred from the league.
Because he can’t sign another right now, until league is done investigation, and determined the consequences. Never got terminated as the PA filed a grievance.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sure, but the Sharks contract has already been terminated so the NHL continuing to supposedly “investigate” those circumstances would be moot, and makes them look petty. Had Friedman’s tweet come out before contract termination it would be a different story, but now it looks like there’s some other angle.

If the NHL has some evidence that Kane violated the law somewhere, that would be interesting. But that seems unlikely.

The NHL investigating it is for their own purposes. My best guess is that if they more or less confirm what the team said they will likely suspend Kane again upon signing a new contract. Even if the league finds that what Kane did broke a law, it's not up to them to do anything other than let the appropriate officials know.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Because he can’t sign another right now, until league is done investigation, and determined the consequences.
ok so how can the league do anything other than backup the Sharks? If the league says he can play how can the sharks terminate him? Unless they just honour the contract anyway and give him his release.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
ok so how can the league do anything other than backup the Sharks? If the league says he can play how can the sharks terminate him? Unless they just honour the contract anyway and give him his release.

Because a league saying someone can play doesn't mean that a team can't take punitive action on someone under contract to them. But the league investigating the Kane thing is probably going to lead to Kane being suspended or fined as a result.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

I think the Sharks would be in violation of the standard player contract for terminating him without pay, and would thus likely be on the hook for paying him out.

They also would likely be penalized in some manner, be it revoking draft picks or a cap penalty, maybe both. I can't imagine the NHLPA would be very happy if their collectively bargained guaranteed contracts were able to be fished through with loopholes. I think of the NHLPA wins, there would be some sort of penalty to stop a potential back out of the MOU extension of the CBA.

Alternatively, Kane gets penalized further, as being discussed here currently.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I bet Connor McDavid will be absolutely hype to get the worst person in hockey to bolster a squad in need of a positive lift.

Reactions: stator

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
PA grieved so the player can get paid, if league sees nothing wrong, then keeps his contract, and bi-monthly payments.
If league thinks he did something wrong, then there are 2 routes,
1) not bad enough to terminate contract, but deserves a suspension
2) broke enough rules, and contract can be terminated

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
The NHL investigating it is for their own purposes. My best guess is that if they more or less confirm what the team said they will likely suspend Kane again upon signing a new contract. Even if the league finds that what Kane did broke a law, it's not up to them to do anything other than let the appropriate officials know.
Well, I think the League was willing to take the Sharks's word for it, which was why they let the contract be terminated with no due process. They don’t seem to have believed any in-depth investigation was necessary a few days ago, and didn’t indicate any intention to consider a suspension for Kane.

The Sportsnet article sheds more light: looks like the NHLPA objected to the unilateral decision by the League to allow contract termination, so now the NHL has to circle back and do some proper due diligence. So maybe not just pettiness. But it’s a bad look for the League imo.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well, I think the League was willing to take the Sharks's word for it, which was why they let the contract be terminated with no due process. They don’t seem to have believed any in-depth investigation was necessary a few days ago, and didn’t indicate any intention to consider a suspension for Kane.

The Sportsnet article sheds more light: looks like the NHLPA objected to the unilateral decision by the League to allow contract termination, so now the NHL has to circle back and do some proper due diligence. So maybe not just pettiness. But it’s a bad look for the League imo.

I don't think it's really that simple. Chances are that the team and the league were in contact with one another regarding the situation. Due to there being a protocol violation, the league was within their rights to suspend Kane. Due to there being a failure to report involved, the team was within their rights to suspend him or terminate his contract as well. The league wasn't obligated to investigate until the termination occurred and the PA filed the grievance. A lot of this is just theater. The PA being upset about a unilateral league decision when contract termination is a league rule and process that they have to do is an example of that. Who else is going to allow contract termination other than the league that has it as an option in the agreement? So now that there is going to be the arbitration process, they're now obligated to conduct their own investigation. This is pretty normal for this sort of situation.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

There is precedent in this case where the Kings terminated Mike Richards for being caught at the border with illegal drugs; however, he was still allowed to later sign with Washington and continue playing.

Reactions: Confucius

boompuffboom

Jul 10, 2007
whatever happened to the pointing a loaded gun at his wife narrative?

how is this tool still sought after. blows my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad